Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default An Idea For "Centers"

I run daycare in my living room in space that is my family space. I always loved the idea of "centers" not like preschool ones because I dont have the room but ones like KNDG uses. So heres what I do.
I bought hoola hoops, and the big ziplock baggies (the kind with a "zipper" not the "push together" kind) then I set up centers and have ones that are general and some that are monthly themes. Then I write on the outside of the bag what the center is and what month its for so example would be "sorting/October" and I keep all the bags in one spot.

Then when its "center time" I set out the hoola hoops on the floor,spread apart from each other. Then I set one baggie in each hoola hoop (keep in mind I have preschool kids) and then I let them choose which center they would like to go to. I set the timer for 8 minutes and the rules are :dont play with the hoola hoop it stays on the floor. You have to stay at your center till the timer goes off (this is to increase attention span to prepare for school)

Then when the timer goes off we switch centers. They get up and move to another hoola hoop. I do it about twice (occasionally 3 times if they are really into it that day) so they each get to do two centers (16minutes total) and then when we are done everything goes back in the bags and the hoops and bags go back in my closet. Waalaa! Portable/easy to tear down "centers".

So what centers do I do? A couple examples: 1)I bought black spider rings and orange spider rings and 2 bowls and they have to put all the black spiders in one bowl and all the orange in another.2) A small can of orange playdo (this center is at the table) and some pumpkin molds to mold little pumpkins out of playdough.

This idea isnt for everyone but I LOVE it! My kids and parents really like it and I get my living room back at the end of the day. We also have a toy shelf for free play time but this how I do "center time"

Last edited by Michael; 10-26-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Sounds like a really cool idea.

I am reminded of the thread where someone said hula hoops on the ground were a "restraint device" and could not be used.

That was a fun thread...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

A restraint device really? How is that any different then saying kids have to stay in regular center areas and not wander from place to place?

That is hillarious as they have used them in public school for kids who have isssues with staying in their own space and not bothering others but can't us e them in daycare? Go figure lol
Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

I like that idea though for people who don't have a dedicated daycare space!

Last edited by Michael; 10-26-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

What a cool idea!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalexmom View Post
I run daycare in my living room in space that is my family space. I always loved the idea of "centers" not like preschool ones because I dont have the room but ones like KNDG uses. So heres what I do.
I bought hoola hoops, and the big ziplock baggies (the kind with a "zipper" not the "push together" kind) then I set up centers and have ones that are general and some that are monthly themes. Then I write on the outside of the bag what the center is and what month its for so example would be "sorting/October" and I keep all the bags in one spot.
Then when its "center time" I set out the hoola hoops on the floor,spread apart from each other. Then I set one baggie in each hoola hoop (keep in mind I have preschool kids) and then I let them choose which center they would like to go to. I set the timer for 8 minutes and the rules are :dont play with the hoola hoop it stays on the floor. You have to stay at your center till the timer goes off (this is to increase attention span to prepare for school)
Then when the timer goes off we switch centers. They get up and move to another hoola hoop. I do it about twice (occasionally 3 times if they are really into it that day) so they each get to do two centers (16minutes total) and then when we are donw everything goes back in the bags and the hoops and bags go back in my closet. Waalaa! Portable/easy to tear down "centers"
So what centers do I do? A couple examples: 1)I bought black spider rings and orange spider rings and 2 bowls and they have to put all the black spiders in one bowl and all the orange in another.2) A small can of orange playdo (this center is at the table) and some pumpkin molds to mold little pumpkins out of playdo
This idea isnt for everyone but I LOVE it! My kids and parents really like it and I get my living room back at the end of the day. We also have a toy shelf for free play time but this how I do "center time"
This is a very good idea! It would stop the kids from mixing sets up as well as keep them from entering another childs personal space. I have some issues with personal space so I think we will try this. Thank you for sharing the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
Sounds like a really cool idea.

I am reminded of the thread where someone said hula hoops on the ground were a "restraint device" and could not be used.

That was a fun thread...
Oh brother, glad I missed that thread!!

Tags
circle time, hula hoop, restraint