Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New Here! Starting A Home Daycare In Chicago!!
Fruitloops1 04:33 PM 12-30-2011
Hello! My name is Azra and I just started the process on getting licensed to open a home daycare! I am super excited and nervous too! If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please send them my way. Thanks!
daycare 04:33 PM 12-30-2011
hello welcome to the form.

where are you from?
Fruitloops1 04:46 PM 12-30-2011
I am from the northwest side of Chicago. Right smack dab in the city.
daycare 05:17 PM 12-30-2011
Im from Cali and don't know any of the lic regulations for IL, but you can ask me anything else. Lol

Hopefully some providers from that area will chime in. lol and I read your title late that said you were from Chicago...sorry
Michael 08:07 PM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by Azra11:
I am from the northwest side of Chicago. Right smack dab in the city.
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
sahm1225 08:44 AM 12-31-2011
Im northwest side of the city too.

It took me forever to get licensed, but I have heard that now the process is better. You can print out the guidelines from the DCFs website to make sure you have everything you need (the first aid kit, stuff for fire inspection, background check, etc.). Also, you might want to start making a list of the toys that you own (they made me make a list of everything and it took me weeks to get it all written down!).

Good luck!
Fruitloops1 01:21 PM 12-31-2011
Sahm1225, Thank you for the tip! I already have my packet from DCFS and my check list only asks for my 15hrs of training (including SIDS, CPR/First Aid, shaken baby and mandated reporter), references, some signed forms, a written hazard plan, and a copy of H.S. diploma. What happens AFTER I turn all this in? By reading some other threads I found out I will need to be completely set-up prior to receiving my license. Is there anything else they will ask me for? Do I need to make a list of only the toys? Books too?
MyAngels 01:35 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by Azra11:
Sahm1225, Thank you for the tip! I already have my packet from DCFS and my check list only asks for my 15hrs of training (including SIDS, CPR/First Aid, shaken baby and mandated reporter), references, some signed forms, a written hazard plan, and a copy of H.S. diploma. What happens AFTER I turn all this in? By reading some other threads I found out I will need to be completely set-up prior to receiving my license. Is there anything else they will ask me for? Do I need to make a list of only the toys? Books too?
You should check with your licensing rep to find out what they want from you on their inspection visit. I'm in Illinois, too, and I've never had a rep ask me for a list of toys (or a list of anything else, for that matter), so I assume each individual rep has their own way of doing things.

Once you've turned in your paperwork your rep will call you to set up a time for your site inspection. They will come and go through your house and let you know if there is anything you need to do to meet state standards. Once you've complied with whatever requests they have, they'll mail you a letter letting you know that you will be receiving your license shortly. I've never had it take long than a couple of weeks, but I'm also downstate so it may take longer in the bigger counties.

I'm sure you've already read these, but just in case here's a link to the Licensing Standards for Illinois: http://www.state.il.us/dcfs/docs/406.pdf
AllDeezBabies 06:01 PM 12-31-2011
When doing your application they will request your Hazardous Plan, a copy of yor discipline plan, daily schedule, a sample of your menu, your daycare parent contract and a toy inventory. If you're northwest you may be assigned to Ms. Lecoure or Mr. Drake, I think. Ms. Lecoure was recently on the southside and was reassigned and when she was my rep this is what she requested from me.

In Chicago they will ask that your daycare be set up when they come to do the home evaluation. Your licensing representative will come to you to view how you are set up, look at your first aid kit, check all your sockets, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, check the water temperature in the bathrooms that are accessible to the children, sleeping arrangements, and entrances/exits. I will advise you to go ahead and get things ready.

I went to Craigslist.org and was able to get some great deals from people that were closing daycare center and daycare homes. They have the ABC fire extinguishers at Home Depot for $17-$20 and smoke detectors for $4-$5 (remember you need one for each room the children will be in) and carbon monoxide detectors from there as well for $17-$20. I purchased my first aide kit from Walmart for $9.99.

The total process for me was about 6 months before the fire marshall came out to do the home inspection. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to post it here. Good Luck and congrats on your business venture!!!
Tags:chicago
Reply Up