Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This One Is Pushing Me Over The Edge
lovemykidstoo 10:22 AM 10-08-2012
I have a dcb that is 16 months old. He started about a month ago and comes 3 days a week. At home he was taking 2 naps a day for about 1. 1/2 hrs per nap. Then he goes to bed at 7:00 and sleeps until about 6:15 a.m. When he comes to my house, he takes 1 nap with all of the other kids and sleeps about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. The problem is he is constantly whining and crying. It's worse in the morning. He looks like he's been up all night even after they tell me that he's slept 11 or 12 hours. The mom asked me the other day if I think it would be good for me to put him down for a nap when he starts his whining and crying. I told her I don't want to do that because he would fall asleep and then be up when the other 5 are napping. Plus, if he is sleeping until 6:15 and gets to my house at 8:00, why is he so exhausted already. He doesn't eat breakfast at home either, so he's up at 6:15 and doesn't eat until about 8:15. He is seriously driving me nuts and I wouldn't midn terming him, but I cannot afford it right now. Any tips on what to do?
DaisyMamma 10:30 AM 10-08-2012
I had one that did that. There's not much you can do. He will grow out of it when he fully switches to one nap.
I would usually allow the child to nap for a half hour in the morning and then put him down as usual with the rest of the kids. It honestly didn't help all the time, but sometimes it did. It's just an awkward stage.
lovemykidstoo 10:32 AM 10-08-2012
I just don't understand if he truly sleeps from 7-6:15, how he could be that tired at 8:30. Then when he gets up here at about 3:30 he goes home at 5:20 and is in bed at 7:00 for the night. I think that everytime he wimpers they put him in bed.
daycarediva 10:49 AM 10-08-2012
He could just be a sleepy kid and NEED two naps still. If he is taking two naps at home, why can't he take two at your house? or will he not sleep?

MY dcg was like this. I try to switch them to one nap at 12 months, but she didn't switch until she was 2! Yes, two naps a day, each 1-2 hours PLUS a good 11-12 hours at night right up to her second birthday. She is still an AMAZING sleeper. At 4 she naps 3 hours a day here and sleeps 12 hours a night at home.
lovemykidstoo 10:52 AM 10-08-2012
I have a really young crowd right now and he will not sleep when there are 5 other little ones here. Then if he does, I know he wont' go back down at 12:30 when they do, so I really don't like that idea either. Do you think he should be that tired 2 hours after getting up after an 11 hr night?
iheartkids 11:21 AM 10-08-2012
I had a DCB that would wake up and come at 6:30 and I was putting him down for a morning nap by 7 so I could wake him up for breakfast by 8. And he would still lay down for nap at 11:30 (I had a really early group so we played down early). If I tried letting him stay awake he would be mean to the other kids and often bit.
Heidi 11:26 AM 10-08-2012
Maybe you could try putting him down right when he arrives, then awake him for breakfast? Is there a room off to the side he could use?

Perhaps that will hold him over until 12:30 then...
Crazy8 11:27 AM 10-08-2012
Here a 16 month old is almost ALWAYS still on 2 naps (I do accommodate the 2 nap schedule until they are old enough to go to 1 nap) and I have 3 kids right now who are easily ready for a morning nap by 9am even though they sleep a good 10-12 hours a night at home.

Actually, when I asked about the napping thing here recently I was shocked that many go to one nap as early as 12 months. I could never see any of my kids doing that - they are miserable by 9-9:30 if I don't put them down. I did cut morning nap short at the recommendation here - it is from 9am-10/10:15 only and I can get them back down about 1pm so they are still sleeping when the bigger kids are too. Maybe you can give him an hour early if you don't need to leave the house?? Like 8am-9:15? I bet you'd see a personality/behavior difference and still be able to get him down about 12:30.
Crazy8 11:28 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Maybe you could try putting him down right when he arrives, then awake him for breakfast? Is there a room off to the side he could use?

Perhaps that will hold him over until 12:30 then...
LOL... we must have been posting at the same time.

The alternative is to deal with a tired child, and honestly, it could be 3+ months before his little body is "ready" for just one nap a day.
lovemykidstoo 11:41 AM 10-08-2012
I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'm going to put him down right away as soon as he gets here and let him sleep an hour. I just haven't had this yet in 12 years. I figured he's sleeping great at night I couldn't imagine why he would need a nap so early (2 hrs after getting up). I really want him to sleep when the other ones do though so I can have a break. I know that most of you say the same thing that you can't go 10 hours a day without some sort of a break. I"ll try your suggestions and see if it makes a difference. Thanks everyone!
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 10-08-2012
My first thought was just because he is IN his bed (like parents say) doesn't mean he is actually sleeping....kwim?

He could be so used to being put there every time he whines or fusses that he is simply used to it and occupies himself quietly while in there so the parents are thinking he slept when he really hasn't
harperluu 01:04 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
He could just be a sleepy kid and NEED two naps still. If he is taking two naps at home, why can't he take two at your house? or will he not sleep?

MY dcg was like this. I try to switch them to one nap at 12 months, but she didn't switch until she was 2! Yes, two naps a day, each 1-2 hours PLUS a good 11-12 hours at night right up to her second birthday. She is still an AMAZING sleeper. At 4 she naps 3 hours a day here and sleeps 12 hours a night at home.
My dd needs lots of sleep (just like her dad!) or she is a bear. She is nearly 4 years old now, and can nap from 12:30-3:00, in bed by 7:30 and sleep until 9:00am.

Her transition to one single afternoon nap didn't finally happen until she was about 2 years old. I would lay her down for 45 min. in the morning.

Also, some kids (and people) can be cranky when their blood sugar is low or they are hungry. Give him some fruit when he arrives, and yogurt or crackers midmorning for a pick-me-up. Hopefully that will help. He might just be a cranky kid. I've had those personality types too.
lovemykidstoo 01:49 PM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My first thought was just because he is IN his bed (like parents say) doesn't mean he is actually sleeping....kwim?

He could be so used to being put there every time he whines or fusses that he is simply used to it and occupies himself quietly while in there so the parents are thinking he slept when he really hasn't
That's what I'm thinking because he certainly doesn't look like he's rested in the morning. You should see the dark circles and bags under his eyes.
lovemykidstoo 05:00 AM 10-10-2012
Okay, so the darling just got here and of course as dad is handing him to me, he throws a complete fit and started kicking me several times with his shoes on. I know he's little, but let me tell you some good kicks (about 10) in the chest area did NOT feel good. I was not pleased about that at all. I held him away from me and said, no, you're not going to kick me, that is not nice. Dad said, I'm so sorry and left. Put him in his chair to eat because he's been up 2 hours and has not eaten yet and he continued throwing a fit. So, he's in bed now! Any suggestions? It just keeps getting worse, now he's not just crying, he's kicking me.
MaritimeMummy 05:48 AM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
if he is sleeping until 6:15 and gets to my house at 8:00, why is he so exhausted already.
Oh, this is what I assumed was normal for kids until I had my son!

Every child I ever cared for, who napped 2 times a day, ALWAYS napped about 2 hours after getting up, no matter what. So, when I nannied for a family with a 14 month old, she'd be up when I got there at 6:30 and be back down for a nap by 8:30, 9 at the absolute latest, and that was pushing it.

My own daughter was in bed by 8pm, slept through the night, got up at 8am every day, and every day had a nap at 10am and 2pm, 2 hours each. Until she as close to 2!

Some kids just need to nap a lot. I know you said it would screw things up with your other DCKs naps but wouldn't it hurt to give it a try? Worth your sanity? If it doesn't work out with the new nap schedule you can always term then, and cite scheduling differences.
lovemykidstoo 05:51 AM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
Oh, this is what I assumed was normal for kids until I had my son!

Every child I ever cared for, who napped 2 times a day, ALWAYS napped about 2 hours after getting up, no matter what. So, when I nannied for a family with a 14 month old, she'd be up when I got there at 6:30 and be back down for a nap by 8:30, 9 at the absolute latest, and that was pushing it.

My own daughter got up at 8am every day, and every day had a nap at 10am and 2pm, 2 hours each.

Some kids just need to nap a lot. I know you said it would screw things up with your other DCKs naps but wouldn't it hurt to give it a try? Worth your sanity? If it doesn't work out with the new nap schedule you can always term then, and cite scheduling differences.
The thing is, I'm not sure it would be better for my sanity, I think it's swapping one insanity for another. If I don't have to listen to him cry in the morning, then I would be having him when all the other kids are sleeping equals no break at all for me during a 10 hour day. I let him sleep a short time this morning and he seems to be better right now, so we'll see how it goes today. His mom texted me and said that she heard that he threw a fit this morning and she wanted to know how he was. Told her how he threw the fit and repeatedly kicked me and how I put him to bed. She replies "awww little stinker". Yea, that's not what I would have said, but okay
Reply Up