Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

View Poll Results: Curriculum
High Scope 3 14.29%
Mother goose time 6 28.57%
healthy beginnings 2 9.52%
none 10 47.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
mommyof5-and going crazy

Default Curriculum

I'm trying to decide on a curriculum and I'm stuck!

I think I've narrowed it down to a few choices.
1. High Scope

2. Mother Goose Time

3. Early beginnings
(This one is recommended by our department of education, aligns with their curriculum)

Which one do you use and why?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM

none

But if I were you I would probably use the recommended one and advertise it like a super-awesome bonus.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

There was no choice for "other". I use Creative Curriculum which is one of the one's approved by our licensing agency. BUT I also use MotherGoose Time. I use MGT to help me fill in the different domains that we have to have on our lesson plans.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I use the creative curriculum and LOVE it. It's great bc it allows me to meet every child's different level of development and its very flexible which is perfect for family childcare. Its also approved by MSDE. Healthy beginnings is pretty good too. I occasionally will flip through that one to get further ideas, but mostly its CC all the way
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

I use funshine express. They include all materials including crafts. Kind of expensive, about $480/year, but totally worth it if you're not creative, like me.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

I use MGT and LOVE IT, for ease of use and I adapt a lot to fit varying skill levels. I have 2 3yo's who I order the extra workbooks for (3.99 and a photocopier) since parents want 'paperwork'. Atleast my 3's love that stuff.

While I don't think it's necessary at ALL in this young of an age group, and I would MUCH rather go child led and plan fun things based on their interests, I wouldn't get clients without using a good 'preschool' curriculum.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Wow! I had never thought of investing in a cirriculum for a home daycare, but I was just browsing through MGT and have fallen in love!! This will definitely be near the top of my "wish list". Too bad it's so dang expensive.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

i kinda do my own
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

creative curriculum like the 2100 dollar one?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM
mommyof5-and going crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I use the creative curriculum and LOVE it. It's great bc it allows me to meet every child's different level of development and its very flexible which is perfect for family childcare. Its also approved by MSDE. Healthy beginnings is pretty good too. I occasionally will flip through that one to get further ideas, but mostly its CC all the way

Where did you see it was approved?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
mommyof5-and going crazy

Did you buy both curriculums?

Btw. I saw where it was listed as approved.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

I use mgt, and I love it, now I don't do everthing the way they say, I teach my letters differently so don't do theres, I also do hooked on phonics with children once I think they are ready, and teach numbers differently. But I love MGT, I love that everything is included, they include play in every lesson, we do the little craft, but then leave whatever is out for open ended art with plain paper, so if there is paint out for a project, they can do the project however they want, or not, and then get plain paper, and paint anything, I have my own calendar and weather set so I don't use theirs, I would NEVER buy their toy boxes, too expenive, but I do sometimes see whats in them, and go on amazon and find a couple toys to go with it myself much cheaper. they have awesome ideas to go along with the lessons, from recipe cards for the kids to make their own snacks that go along, to setting up obstacle courses, little science experiments.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I put my own curriculum together. I do a ton of research and go from there. It is a lot of work, but I figure after two years I will have enough together to be able to rotate out and add to it as I go.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
mommyof5-and going crazy

Thank you everyone, I think I will be doing the creative curriculum with MGT.,
I think as things change we must adapt, parents want more. I want to be doing this for a while, and I feel like there's pressure to include more into our programs.

I'm also going back to school for my teaching degree.

Last edited by LaLa1923; 03-04-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: happy face didn't show
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Is there any way around the cost of these items? I know it's probably so worth it, but I can't afford it right now.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

I also use Creative Curriculum When I took a class they gave us the book. Most purchased plans has too many crafts and worksheets. Not how I run my program. So using the Creative Curriculum guidelines I plan my own activities to fit the group
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

I use Creative Curriculum and MGT. I have parents that have to have those workbook pages and projects. I prefer open ended projects so I do both then everyone is happy!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLaura529 View Post
Is there any way around the cost of these items? I know it's probably so worth it, but I can't afford it right now.
invent your own there are plenty of free resources on the internet. Fall in love with Pinterest
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
invent your own there are plenty of free resources on the internet. Fall in love with Pinterest
That's what I do. Make my own. But honestly, with Parent Aware coming I doubt that will fly, so eventually I guess I'll have to buy one, then keep doing my own thing.