Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2015, 09:43 AM
hope's Avatar
hope hope is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,520
Default Miralax

What are your thoughts on kids taking this while attending daycare? I know the topic has come up before on here. I have a dcg that has taken it in the past and I told myself I would never go through that again. Now it looks like the same dcg may start taking it again and I want to be prepared with telling the parents that I am not willing to deal with that again.
Dcg will not go potty for anyone but her mother. She spent the summer at home and held it all in when she was here and would only go potty once dcm picked up. I worked hard with her to get her to use the potty at my home and was successful. During that time though she developed multiple infections and had a blockage due to holding her urine and bms. After a hospital visit to have the blockage remedied Dcm gave her Miralax (said doctors orders) to force her to have a bm so she couldn't hold it in and i dealt with putting her on the potty non stop and accidents. Well, now dcg is going to preschool 2 days a week and holding it all day there. Dcm is considering Miralax again. I worked too hard to fix the issue dcm created. I really don't care if she has a doctors note or not. I believe dcg should be taught and reassured. I also believe many potty issues can be fixed with dietary adjustments that will result with less mess. I also don't see this as a medical issue. Its more of an emotional and behavioral one. Do I explain all this so she doesn't even consider using it or just send home for lose stools every day. Every issue with this dcm gets drawn out and drains me. I want to be proactive about this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Following this, because my dcm brought dcb, almost 2 this morning saying he is constipated and taking pedialax. I have zero experience with this or why an almost 2 yr old would need it when he does not usually have any problem with constipation.
Why not feed him squash , sweet potato, prunes? And limit cheese, banana, white rice etc?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
spinnymarie's Avatar
spinnymarie spinnymarie is offline
mac n peas
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 889
Default

I'd tell her you can't accept the DCG while on that medication - if she has had it within 24 hrs (?) she can't attend.
DCM has several remedies for this: 1. Solve the problem without medication or 2. Pull DCG from preschool and give her to you full-time, or 3. Pull her from you.
IMO the easiest solution is to pull her from preschool. Not sure how old she is but it sounds like she's not ready for preschool if she is having/causing this problem. And if she really enjoys preschool, then maybe she will reconsider using the bathroom there.
And, aside from all that, DCM's solution has little to do with you - you can't care for a child on medication DESIGNED to make her have bio-hazardous accidents all over your house.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Solandia's Avatar
Solandia Solandia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 372
Default

I would wait and see how it impacted the daycare on a case by case basis before making any blanket statements or rules about it.

My own 4yo ds is on Miralax daily, for encopresis, and he is 100% normal without any needing special care whatsoever. Goes poop without an issue, no emergency/uncontrolled poops nor any accidents, even if he has to wait a bit to get to a potty (like at the park or whatever).

Without miralax, he has a chunks (like 2-4 tablespoons of sludge)in his undies a 100% of the time. It is constantly oozing out of his butt. And he spends a majority of his day crossing his legs hiding somewhere, trying not to poop. He is basically housebound, unable to participate in pretty much anything. Good Times.

And yes, OP, it is an emotional & behavior issue...that can cause some serious medical issues. You can believe that dietary changes can fix all these issues, doesn't make it true.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solandia View Post
I would wait and see how it impacted the daycare on a case by case basis before making any blanket statements or rules about it.

My own 4yo ds is on Miralax daily, for encopresis, and he is 100% normal without any needing special care whatsoever. Goes poop without an issue, no emergency/uncontrolled poops nor any accidents, even if he has to wait a bit to get to a potty (like at the park or whatever).

Without miralax, he has a chunks (like 2-4 tablespoons of sludge)in his undies a 100% of the time. It is constantly oozing out of his butt. And he spends a majority of his day crossing his legs hiding somewhere, trying not to poop. He is basically housebound, unable to participate in pretty much anything. Good Times.

And yes, OP, it is an emotional & behavior issue...that can cause some serious medical issues. You can believe that dietary changes can fix all these issues, doesn't make it true.
This.

I would simply exclude for ANYTHING that you cant manage successfully in your daily routine.

If DCG has loose poo and requires multiple bathroom visits or changing where YOU are the one dealing with the fallout of the Miralax, I would exclude her.

If she goes to the bathroom normally (like Solandia said her DS does) I wouldn't give this another thought.

It would ALL be dependent on DCG's behavior and MY ability to continue providing the same quality care and attention to ALL the children here that I've always provided.

IF the DCG's situation causes me to spend more than the average amount of time addressing her toileting and BM issues, then I am not the right fit for her.

I'd let mom know that if anything outside the normal realm of services you provide occurs, you will no longer be willing to accommodate her needs and the family will need to seek alternate care arrangements.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 AM
hope's Avatar
hope hope is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,520
Default

I guess I can exclude because dcg will not be able to participate as normal and her needs exceed what I am am able to give. Then she will need to decide what she wants to do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM
hope's Avatar
hope hope is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solandia View Post
I would wait and see how it impacted the daycare on a case by case basis before making any blanket statements or rules about it.

My own 4yo ds is on Miralax daily, for encopresis, and he is 100% normal without any needing special care whatsoever. Goes poop without an issue, no emergency/uncontrolled poops nor any accidents, even if he has to wait a bit to get to a potty (like at the park or whatever).

Without miralax, he has a chunks (like 2-4 tablespoons of sludge)in his undies a 100% of the time. It is constantly oozing out of his butt. And he spends a majority of his day crossing his legs hiding somewhere, trying not to poop. He is basically housebound, unable to participate in pretty much anything. Good Times.

And yes, OP, it is an emotional & behavior issue...that can cause some serious medical issues. You can believe that dietary changes can fix all these issues, doesn't make it true.
Maybe dietary changes can't fix the problem. I didn't mean to say that that is the only remedy. But I would like to try some dietary changes before jumping to Miralax. That is her decision as a parent to make.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This.

I would simply exclude for ANYTHING that you cant manage successfully in your daily routine.

If DCG has loose poo and requires multiple bathroom visits or changing where YOU are the one dealing with the fallout of the Miralax, I would exclude her.

If she goes to the bathroom normally (like Solandia said her DS does) I wouldn't give this another thought.

It would ALL be dependent on DCG's behavior and MY ability to continue providing the same quality care and attention to ALL the children here that I've always provided.

IF the DCG's situation causes me to spend more than the average amount of time addressing her toileting and BM issues, then I am not the right fit for her.

I'd let mom know that if anything outside the normal realm of services you provide occurs, you will no longer be willing to accommodate her needs and the family will need to seek alternate care arrangements.

I had a little boy who was so constipated all the time. He would take miralax. It never caused diarrhea or anything messy. It just allowed him to go.
We did try diet changes first but nothing worked.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM
hope's Avatar
hope hope is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,520
Default

This child isnt constipated though. She would hold her bm because she wouldn't want to go to the bathroom with anyone besides her mother. They said she developed a blockage because she was holding it. Dcm said Miralax would basically force her to go. When she was on it here she spent most of the day on the potty. Dcm kept changing dosage because all seemed too strong. Fast forward to now and when she is home or with me she doesn't hold it and all is well. From conversation we had I have a feeling dcm will start dcg on Miralax again so that she will be forced to go potty at pre school. Both me and the preschool will be deal with the that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
This child isnt constipated though. She would hold her bm because she wouldn't want to go to the bathroom with anyone besides her mother. They said she developed a blockage because she was holding it. Dcm said Miralax would basically force her to go. When she was on it here she spent most of the day on the potty. Dcm kept changing dosage because all seemed too strong. Fast forward to now and when she is home or with me she doesn't hold it and all is well. From conversation we had I have a feeling dcm will start dcg on Miralax again so that she will be forced to go potty at pre school. Both me and the preschool will be deal with the that.
Honestly, if you already know the outcome of her being on this med, you have every right to refuse to allow her to attend while she is taking the medication.

If it's something that mom (and/or the DR) feels she must have but you don't want to deal with it (which is FULLY within your rights) then I would just be honest with mom and tell her it's more than you are willing to do and if mom feels she "needs" the Miralax, then she will need to find alternate care arrangements.

This is one situation not protected by the ADA and NOT one you HAVE to deal with. Ewww! If given the choice, Id choose NOT to.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lesson learned. I just sent my constipated pedialax dck home after he vomited all over the main area rug
Now dcm wants me to tell her if I think it's a virus?.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 PM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
This child isnt constipated though. She would hold her bm because she wouldn't want to go to the bathroom with anyone besides her mother. They said she developed a blockage because she was holding it. Dcm said Miralax would basically force her to go. When she was on it here she spent most of the day on the potty. Dcm kept changing dosage because all seemed too strong. Fast forward to now and when she is home or with me she doesn't hold it and all is well. From conversation we had I have a feeling dcm will start dcg on Miralax again so that she will be forced to go potty at pre school. Both me and the preschool will be deal with the that.
The DCB I had started holding it all the time because he was scared to go. The constipation hurt so he related the hurt with pooping.
It sounds like you adjust already know what you want to do.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lesson learned. I just sent my constipated pedialax dck home after he vomited all over the main area rug
Now dcm wants me to tell her if I think it's a virus?.
Oh no!

Do you know how long DCK has been constipated? Sometimes vomiting can be a symptom of constipation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM
bananas's Avatar
bananas bananas is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 42
Default

I had a DCB start Miralax the same day he came here in undies for the first time……It was SO bad I vomited on top of the liquid explosion covering him head to toe, down my hallway, all over my floor….peeling the fecal drenched clothes off his body….then he peed on top of it all. It scared the other DCKs and my daughter was dry heaving up a storm and crying in the corner. NEVER AGAIN.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Solandia's Avatar
Solandia Solandia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
This child isnt constipated though. She would hold her bm because she wouldn't want to go to the bathroom with anyone besides her mother. They said she developed a blockage because she was holding it. Dcm said Miralax would basically force her to go. When she was on it here she spent most of the day on the potty. Dcm kept changing dosage because all seemed too strong. Fast forward to now and when she is home or with me she doesn't hold it and all is well. From conversation we had I have a feeling dcm will start dcg on Miralax again so that she will be forced to go potty at pre school. Both me and the preschool will be deal with the that.
If she is going at home, then mom is an idiot to mess this up. IMO. Who cares if she doesn't go at school? It is not uncommon for both adults AND kids to not go at school/work, and wait until they get home. I know my teacher & RN friends do, LOL. Yes, our conversations are wonderful, ya know!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
Oh no!

Do you know how long DCK has been constipated? Sometimes vomiting can be a symptom of constipation.
Well he wasn't constipated on Tuesday when he was here.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,806
Default

This may be the original thread on Miralax: http://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65015
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This may be the original thread on Miralax: http://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65015
On this site when you say you are talking $h!t about someone, you aren't joking!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My son takes Miralax. He has never had uncontrolled bm. Are they giving the correct dosage? My son is 2 1/2 yo. His pediatrician said just 1/3 of the cap is enough once a day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
constipation, medication - policy, miralax

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where's The Miralax Post? momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-11-2013 05:40 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming