Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diluting Formula Question
Jack Sprat 10:44 AM 12-29-2014
Has anyone ever heard of diluting a babies formula because he isn't getting enough fluids? DCM informed me last night that her dr instructed her to dilute formula 1/2 and 1/2 because baby was dehydrated and has double ear infections. I found it odd but, was wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this.

**I also asked for written orders from the dr as I didn't think we could alter their formula like that**
Shell 10:55 AM 12-29-2014
I've never heard of this. Usually watered down juice or pedialyte would be recommended- I think?!
permanentvacation 10:56 AM 12-29-2014
I've never heard of that.

If it's 'doctor's orders', then I would require a doctor's note to do so.

If it's just what mom wants, then I would tell her I can't do that. I have to feed the baby properly according to the directions on the formula container.

Also, if the baby were dehydrated, I might tell the mother that the baby needed to stay home until he/she is back to proper health.

For a baby being dehydrated, all I've ever heard of is they are given Pedialyte to re-hydrate them. I've never been told to do anything different with their formula.
Angelsj 11:01 AM 12-29-2014
I would ask for written orders from the doc, but I don't find this too strange for a short term concept. I wouldn't do it all the time, but while the baby is getting over whatever is happening, perhaps the formula full strength is too strong?
Jack Sprat 11:03 AM 12-29-2014
I told her yesterday I would need the Dr's orders. He isn't drinking much at all. He's been here 5 hours and has had 3 oz. Happy enough but, not drinking as much as he usually does.
daycarediva 11:15 AM 12-29-2014
I would send home. NO WAY would I want a dehydrated infant refusing fluids on my watch. I would also want him eating/drinking normally before he returns to care.

I've also never heard of this. Pedialyte, yes.
Jack Sprat 11:25 AM 12-29-2014
I texted dcm to let her know. She says she is going to call the dr. and also said to give him a regular bottle when he wakes up. I did let her know he is sleeping a lot more then normal.

It does have me concerned.
momtomany74 02:44 PM 12-29-2014
Could baby be dehydrated because of the pain from swallowing while having ear infections? I wonder
Doc didn't just order water in between feedings
Meeko 04:22 PM 12-29-2014
Be careful....mom may be trying to save money by having you water down the formula. Demand a note from the doctor on official paper or RX pad.
CraftyMom 05:56 PM 12-29-2014
My own experience...when my now 7 year old was a little baby, I had a bit of trouble at night where she seemed to want to suck on the bottle, but not necessarily eat, the formula would be wasted because she didn't drink it. I tried different pacifiers, but she liked the nipple on the bottle. So I tried letting her just suck on the nipple but I guess it wasn't the same since it felt different with no liquid behind the nipple.

I knew she wasn't eating and was just suckling, so I put water in the bottle and let her suckle at night. The bottle remained full, she just kind of sucked a little, maybe drank a small amount.

Anyway, I mentioned it at the dr one day, looking for suggestions, and got scolded. I was told she receives plenty of water in her formula, which should always be measured correctly and never diluted, which will make the baby still hungry and they will receive more water than their body needs and could actually be harmful if the baby is young.

I ended up letting her cry it out. I felt she was too young, only 2 months, but she wasn't hungry, hurt or in need of changing and I didn't want any night time habits, so the doc recommended cry it out, and it worked.

Anyway, that's just my experience, being told NEVER to give an infant more water than necessary. It might have been just my pediatrician's opinion.

Usually if an infant is dehydrated they will give pedialyte. Diluting the formula reduces the child's daily nutrition intake, making the situation worse
renodeb 04:16 PM 01-01-2015
I have never heard of that. How old is the baby?
Debbie
nannyde 06:35 PM 01-01-2015
No. Babies can't have extra water.
Angelsj 03:39 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No. Babies can't have extra water.
I don't know if I would just throw that out there without explanation, Nan. Most of my kids were breastfed, but one did have formula for a bit, and coming back from a vomiting/diarrhea episode, we did pedialyte for a day, then diluted formula, slowly making each bottle stronger as tolerated. (all doc approved)

I would say the large majority of the time, babies should not have extra water, but I don't think I would blanket statement that idea.
cheerfuldom 03:03 PM 01-03-2015
I have never heard of a doctor recommending to dilute the formula.
Unregistered 06:30 PM 01-03-2015
I was curious so I googled diluting formula. I found that there is a site that recommends diluting the formula by half for the first 24 hours only then it back to regular formula to aid with dehydration. Otherwise it is damaging to the kidneys if formula is diluted for too long.
Tags:formula
Reply Up