Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So, You Want Cheap Childcare??? Get to Steppin'!!!
TBird 12:23 PM 12-06-2011
UGH!!!

I met this lady looking for childcare MONTHS ago. She called me and wanted to see my place right away. She sounded pretty desperate as her parents couldn't watch the little boy anymore, so I agreed that she could come over right then. She came and I could tell that she was very impressed as the other places she had seen weren't CLEAN and they were also overcrowded. So, I tell her how much I charge for two meals, two snacks, all outings & a formal mail order preschool program ($175 Flat Fee per week, which is actually right on point for my area). I gather ALL of my paperwork and email it to her....all of which took about an hour.

Anyway, obviously the pricing wasn't for her because I emailed her my paperwork and gave her a follow-up call. She said she would call me back and never did.

Well, guess who emails me today??? She starts off with how busy she is and sorry she didn't get back to me, yadda yadda. She wants to enroll her son NOW and she believes I quoted her $150 per week....HUH???

Anyway, I email her back and tell her NO...I quoted her $175 per week and all that it included and to let me know if she's still interested and THEN I would email her my contract again to review (by this time I already know that she's looking for 'top shelf' childcare at a cheap price). So, she sends me back an email that says: WOW! $175 and I thought $150 was extending my budget. That is steep...let me ask my husband and get back to you tomorrow, ok???

This is what I said to her.....
Yes. I provide all of the food, a great service, and my preschool program is mail-ordered at a cost of $85 per month (and more depending on how many children I have at a given time). I totally understand considering costs. I remember paying $200 per week, providing my own food, and there was no learning program whatsoever...we basically paid for someone who we knew was SANE! Again, good luck in your search!

She responded twice more saying that it was expensive and she'd have to get back to me. I kept saying GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH! I know she just can't afford me and that's fine. But to never get back to me and THEN comment on my pricing??? I'm not for everyone but I'm sure not hurting for kids so keep it moving sister....maybe those dirty, over crowded places are what you get for $150 in this area??? I haven't a clue but just keep it movin'!!!
wdmmom 12:32 PM 12-06-2011
I agree! My rates are comfortable with what I charge and I'm a little below the average for my area.

I've had some henous requests....If I bring food, will it be cheaper? Can I make it any cheaper? If I pay you on Monday will it be cheaper? ETC.

Payment is due on Friday for the upcoming week and no, daycare isn't cheaper. If you need less hours, we can talk. And, don't even consider bringing food in...thats the #2 rule in my handbook!
cheerfuldom 03:20 PM 12-06-2011
I get those people all the time. I always respond with "I agree, daycare is expensive. My rate is not negotiable and I feel, well worth the cost. However, I understand if my program does not fit your needs. Good luck in your daycare search. Feel free to contact me in the future should you wish to reconsider my program"

that says it all in a professional way I think but also, no wiggle room. she is emailing you numerous times to see if you will give on the cost.
Ariana 09:42 AM 12-07-2011
Yeah I'd do the same! Had a woman contact me and very rudely ask if I could lower my price. I just e-mailed her back saying "price is non negotiable sorry". Never heard back. Whatev's....

I also had a lady e-mail me about my program, I e-mail her back my contract to look over and she doesn't e-mail me back for 4 days!! When she finally did she's all "I'm so busy blah blah blah". I told her that I offered the space to another family. Good quality daycare isn't going to wait around for you to get your stuff together lady! I'm busy too
TGPII 02:49 PM 04-12-2012
$175 a week is cheap as he** and there are government programs to help with that. She going to fight over $25 bucks? Heck if I could find a place that cheap. ..
Originally Posted by TBird:
UGH!!!

I met this lady looking for childcare MONTHS ago. She called me and wanted to see my place right away. She sounded pretty desperate as her parents couldn't watch the little boy anymore, so I agreed that she could come over right then. She came and I could tell that she was very impressed as the other places she had seen weren't CLEAN and they were also overcrowded. So, I tell her how much I charge for two meals, two snacks, all outings & a formal mail order preschool program ($175 Flat Fee per week, which is actually right on point for my area). I gather ALL of my paperwork and email it to her....all of which took about an hour.

Anyway, obviously the pricing wasn't for her because I emailed her my paperwork and gave her a follow-up call. She said she would call me back and never did.

Well, guess who emails me today??? She starts off with how busy she is and sorry she didn't get back to me, yadda yadda. She wants to enroll her son NOW and she believes I quoted her $150 per week....HUH???

Anyway, I email her back and tell her NO...I quoted her $175 per week and all that it included and to let me know if she's still interested and THEN I would email her my contract again to review (by this time I already know that she's looking for 'top shelf' childcare at a cheap price). So, she sends me back an email that says: WOW! $175 and I thought $150 was extending my budget. That is steep...let me ask my husband and get back to you tomorrow, ok???

Yes. I provide all of the food, a great service, and my preschool program is mail-ordered at a cost of $85 per month (and more depending on how many children I have at a given time). I totally understand considering costs. I remember paying $200 per week, providing my own food, and there was no learning program whatsoever...we basically paid for someone who we knew was SANE! Again, good luck in your search!

She responded twice more saying that it was expensive and she'd have to get back to me. I kept saying GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH! I know she just can't afford me and that's fine. But to never get back to me and THEN comment on my pricing??? I'm not for everyone but I'm sure not hurting for kids so keep it moving sister....maybe those dirty, over crowded places are what you get for $150 in this area??? I haven't a clue but just keep it movin'!!!

MissK 02:58 PM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by tgpii@yahoo.com:
$175 a week is cheap as hell and there are government programs to help with that. She going to fight over $25 bucks? Heck if I could find a place that cheap. ..
My area averages 100-110/week...the daycare my son is in is 125/week and thats expensive for here! lol
mom2many 03:10 PM 04-12-2012
Prices really do vary depending upon where you are located. My full time weekly rate for infants & preschoolers is $250 and I offer a preschool program. My rate for school age kids before & after school is $150.
Hunni Bee 03:26 PM 04-12-2012
I see threads about daycare prices all the time, and my mouth always drops. I work in a center, in the 4 year old class and 85% of our kids are on daycare subsidy.

We are paid $125 a week for infants, $98 for toddlers, $93 for preschool and $60 for B & A. We are required to provide food, do a curriculum, etc...

Is anyone else in Virginia? Is that the going rate or are we being robbed??
Sunchimes 05:41 PM 04-12-2012
In my area, full time home care is $85, part time is $20 a day for over 18 mo. Center care is about $105 a week for full time.
Meeko 06:51 PM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
In my area, full time home care is $85, part time is $20 a day for over 18 mo. Center care is about $105 a week for full time.
I'm only a tiny biy more than you Sunchimes.....but I think it's all depending on where you live.

My sister -in-law keeps telling us to move out to LA. When we went for a visit a few years ago I almost died at how much she pays for food. She was paying over $3 a gallon for milk. Even today I get a gallon of 2% for $1.69. It's all relevant.
MsMe 06:26 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm only a tiny biy more than you Sunchimes.....but I think it's all depending on where you live.

My sister -in-law keeps telling us to move out to LA. When we went for a visit a few years ago I almost died at how much she pays for food. She was paying over $3 a gallon for milk. Even today I get a gallon of 2% for $1.69. It's all relevant.

I pay over $3 a gallon for skim!
momma2girls 06:51 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I see threads about daycare prices all the time, and my mouth always drops. I work in a center, in the 4 year old class and 85% of our kids are on daycare subsidy.

We are paid $125 a week for infants, $98 for toddlers, $93 for preschool and $60 for B & A. We are required to provide food, do a curriculum, etc...

I have a friend in VA and she charge $125.00 per week.
MarinaVanessa 07:01 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:

I pay over $3 a gallon for skim!
Yep sounds about right. I'm about an hour away from LA and we pay over $3 a gallon for skim milk too . If I'm lucky I can get it on sale and I can get 2 gallons for $6 and that's CHEAP
MsMe 07:08 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yep sounds about right. I'm about an hour away from LA and we pay over $3 a gallon for skim milk too . If I'm lucky I can get it on sale and I can get 2 gallons for $6 and that's CHEAP
I am in Iowa....I am blow away our prices are similar to CA!
Unregistered 02:20 PM 11-30-2015
I understand that you have to charge what you charge for daycare but you do not understand that parents have to live to. I can not go broke and not pay my bills so that I can pay for daycare. We just want a good daycare for an affordable price. I think it is ridiculous that you talk about parents that way because you do not know their financial situation and what might have cause. They have to work to make sure that they put food on the table and they have to find daycare to provide the necessary things that their child might need during the day. Consider the parents and what they have to sacrifice to afford your prices instead of talking about parents. Next time be more considerate and understand the parents financial obligations. What you want me to do pay you or feed my child when they are not in your care and take care of my child.
Thriftylady 02:36 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I understand that you have to charge what you charge for daycare but you do not understand that parents have to live to. I can not go broke and not pay my bills so that I can pay for daycare. We just want a good daycare for an affordable price. I think it is ridiculous that you talk about parents that way because you do not know their financial situation and what might have cause. They have to work to make sure that they put food on the table and they have to find daycare to provide the necessary things that their child might need during the day. Consider the parents and what they have to sacrifice to afford your prices instead of talking about parents. Next time be more considerate and understand the parents financial obligations. What you want me to do pay you or feed my child when they are not in your care and take care of my child.
We have the same bills that parents do and make less money in most cases. I know I make FAR less than my families do. My bills are actually higher because of the kids. I have higher gas and electric bills, higher water bills, higher grocery bills, the list goes on. On top of all that, there is no reason that a childcare provider should have to live in poverty. Childcare providers are not charities.
Controlled Chaos 02:51 PM 11-30-2015
This thread is 3 years old

And as I have to feed MY family - I want you to pay me or find another provider
Thriftylady 02:54 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:

Dang it they got me again!
Blackcat31 03:16 PM 11-30-2015

X's 1000
auntymimi 03:29 PM 11-30-2015

I'm in West Virginia and that is the going rate here, actually maybe a little less? We are also required to provide meals and snacks, preschool, ect. Most of my clients are also on subsidy. If it weren't for my husbands income I would never be able to afford to be a provider in my area.
NillaWafers 03:34 PM 11-30-2015

Shouldn't these old threads be getting locked or archived or something? I know on other forums I've been to threads this old never pop up because you cannot post in them anymore!
auntymimi 03:37 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Dang it they got me again!
Oh gosh, me too! I also see that my weekly rate would have been competitive in 2012, lol!
Josiegirl 03:41 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Shouldn't these old threads be getting locked or archived or something? I know on other forums I've been to threads this old never pop up because you cannot post in them anymore!
Maybe so but then some of them would never get reread. I never dig up old threads to read them but it's always fun to read them when they do pop up. Milk 1.69 gallon? Wow!
Blackcat31 05:29 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Maybe so but then some of them would never get reread. I never dig up old threads to read them but it's always fun to read them when they do pop up. Milk 1.69 gallon? Wow!
Exactly! Old threads are old to us but the information within is often times still relevant and/or helpful for the new reader.
LysesKids 05:33 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I have a friend in VA and she charge $125.00 per week.
Heck, I was getting 130 in Martinsburg, WV & in AR; I can't raise my rates because I charge more than what subsidy would pay me pay here in TN and there are a lot of people charging less... of course I am infants under 24 months also
Thriftylady 05:47 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Exactly! Old threads are old to us but the information within is often times still relevant and/or helpful for the new reader.
That is true, but I always feel a little dumb when I jump in and respond without realizing they are old!
Hunni Bee 06:20 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:

I'm in West Virginia and that is the going rate here, actually maybe a little less? We are also required to provide meals and snacks, preschool, ect. Most of my clients are also on subsidy. If it weren't for my husbands income I would never be able to afford to be a provider in my area.
Well...that was 3 years ago at my old job. My new center charges...get this...$340 for infants, $285 - $320 for toddlers depending on their age, $270 for preschool and $250 for Pre-K...and $138 for before and after, more for full-day school age. If I didn't get a discount my child would never see the inside of that place.

It's the same state...just 20 minutes away on the rich side of town. I've learned its all relative.
MyAngels 06:48 PM 11-30-2015
That is true, but I always feel a little dumb when I jump in and respond without realizing they are old!
I always glance at the view count, if it's high it normally means it's an old thread
Pepperth 06:58 AM 12-01-2015
I like when the old threads come up sometimes. I've only been on here for a year, so its new to me. I do go back and read a lot of the old threads anyway because they are very valuable to me as a new daycare provider.
daycarediva 08:21 AM 12-01-2015
We have the same bills that parents do and make less money in most cases. I know I make FAR less than my families do. My bills are actually higher because of the kids. I have higher gas and electric bills, higher water bills, higher grocery bills, the list goes on. On top of all that, there is no reason that a childcare provider should have to live in poverty. Childcare providers are not charities.

If you are so destitute that you truly cannot afford quality childcare AND food, there are programs to help assist parents pay for childcare (or food, or both).

As a provider with a high quality program with a waiting list, I get sick of parents with expensive cars, nice clothing, hair and nails done telling me that they can't afford my rates. The truth is, they CAN afford it but they chose to spend their money on other things. Their choice, but it shouldn't lessen my income (or my program, which is what would happen if I reduced rates).
Annalee 09:16 AM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

If you are so destitute that you truly cannot afford quality childcare AND food, there are programs to help assist parents pay for childcare (or food, or both).

As a provider with a high quality program with a waiting list, I get sick of parents with expensive cars, nice clothing, hair and nails done telling me that they can't afford my rates. The truth is, they CAN afford it but they chose to spend their money on other things. Their choice, but it shouldn't lessen my income (or my program, which is what would happen if I reduced rates).
I think the cigarettes bother me more than the new cars. Most of these complainers talked about spend tons of money on cigarettes. I just don't get it!
nannyde 10:10 AM 12-01-2015
Can I ask a question? What are YOU doing for parents who are going broke because they can't afford daycare? It's obviously a subject you are passionate about. What does your consideration and understanding translate into?

Are you offering free child care to parents who have to feed their kids and pay their rent? Are you offering free child care when you aren't working? Do you put your name out amongst family, friends and society that when you are off of work you will gladly care for their children to lift the burden off of those who can't afford daycare? Have you set up your weekends, evenings and holidays to be THAT person who DOES as opposed to say words about it?

You have plenty of time to be that person. Your family can volunteer for the parents you insist we must consider.

There are many hours in the week when you aren't working where you can volunteer for your passion. You can also barter child care with families in your exact situation. You can seek jobs that allow you and other families to care for each others kids for FREE in exchange for them doing it for you.

Go for it. Be considerate.

We don't owe parents consideration for their financial situation. What business that services children with goods or services considers their financial situation? Does Wal-Mart or Kentucky fried show you some LOVE at the check out counter? Does your utility company ask if you have kids you are struggling to feed when they tally up your monthly bill? Does your cable, internet, or cell phone give a flip about whether or not you have kids you are struggling to pay for?

We don't appreciate that sentiment being exacted upon us. Now some providers want to get their volunteerism on by discounting services but most have zippo interest in child care as their contribution to the poor or needy. They take care of kids every work day. They want to choose their own passion to do free or cheap. They don't need parents to suggest what they do for society.

When I ran my two decades of home child care I kept track of requests for services. Out of a hundred inquiries, only two were able or willing to pay my rates. I didn't give a second thought to the 98 that couldn't. It never crossed my mind to take into consideration and have understanding for the 98.

I didn't think of them any more than a car dealership would think of me when I saw a vehicle in the lot that was out of my price range. I can't afford it. So what? I didn't expect them to give my finances a second thought. They only care about my finances on the car I can afford. If they don't have a car on the lot I can afford they send me packing.

We are over it. Just because we are a profession of women... we shouldn't be expected to care or do something for the legions of families that can't afford child care. We expect people to consider that BEFORE they have kids.
Ariana 11:25 AM 12-01-2015
Brilliant nannyde and so to the point! The old adage is that we must "do it out of the kindness of our hearts" because we are women who want to work with kids. We deserve to be paid a fair and decent wage. Too many childcare providers are making BELOW the poverty line in wages while dual income families complain about our prices (which I understand because life is expensive!!). Then you have new providers who want to do charity work and will take your child in for $15 a day for 10-12 hours that I have to compete with. Makes the situation worse.
Play Care 11:49 AM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
can i ask a question? What are you doing for parents who are going broke because they can't afford daycare? It's obviously a subject you are passionate about. What does your consideration and understanding translate into?

Are you offering free child care to parents who have to feed their kids and pay their rent? Are you offering free child care when you aren't working? Do you put your name out amongst family, friends and society that when you are off of work you will gladly care for their children to lift the burden off of those who can't afford daycare? Have you set up your weekends, evenings and holidays to be that person who does as opposed to say words about it?

You have plenty of time to be that person. Your family can volunteer for the parents you insist we must consider.

There are many hours in the week when you aren't working where you can volunteer for your passion. You can also barter child care with families in your exact situation. You can seek jobs that allow you and other families to care for each others kids for free in exchange for them doing it for you.

Go for it. Be considerate.

We don't owe parents consideration for their financial situation. What business that services children with goods or services considers their financial situation? Does wal-mart or kentucky fried show you some love at the check out counter? Does your utility company ask if you have kids you are struggling to feed when they tally up your monthly bill? Does your cable, internet, or cell phone give a flip about whether or not you have kids you are struggling to pay for?

We don't appreciate that sentiment being exacted upon us. Now some providers want to get their volunteerism on by discounting services but most have zippo interest in child care as their contribution to the poor or needy. They take care of kids every work day. They want to choose their own passion to do free or cheap. They don't need parents to suggest what they do for society.

When i ran my two decades of home child care i kept track of requests for services. Out of a hundred inquiries, only two were able or willing to pay my rates. I didn't give a second thought to the 98 that couldn't. It never crossed my mind to take into consideration and have understanding for the 98.

I didn't think of them any more than a car dealership would think of me when i saw a vehicle in the lot that was out of my price range. I can't afford it. So what? I didn't expect them to give my finances a second thought. They only care about my finances on the car i can afford. If they don't have a car on the lot i can afford they send me packing.

We are over it. Just because we are a profession of women... We shouldn't be expected to care or do something for the legions of families that can't afford child care. We expect people to consider that before they have kids.
yes! Yes! Yes!
Thriftylady 12:32 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I think the cigarettes bother me more than the new cars. Most of these complainers talked about spend tons of money on cigarettes. I just don't get it!
The cigarettes bother me also. Or the family I had earlier this year who were always to broke to pay me on time but the kids told me every day where they went out to eat the night before. I asked them one day "why don't mom and dad cook at home" and DCB told me "well they never buy the stuff so we have to go out, unless dad makes his famous fudge then we go grocery shopping". Not something an 8 year old would make up!
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 12-01-2015
Statistically, as sad as this may sound a majority of smokers are low income.

Often times the stresses of living in poverty cause many to smoke.

Tobacco companies also target low income people with more aggressive marketing etc.

Google it...you'll find a ton of research supporting the connection between low income/poverty and cigarettes.
Thriftylady 01:18 PM 12-01-2015
Statistically, as sad as this may sound a majority of smokers are low income.

Often times the stresses of living in poverty cause many to smoke.

Tobacco companies also target low income people with more aggressive marketing etc.

Google it...you'll find a ton of research supporting the connection between low income/poverty and cigarettes.
I have never seen any statistics, but I believe this is true. I have wondered way it seems poorer people smoke more.
Febby 06:15 PM 12-01-2015
Well...that was 3 years ago at my old job. My new center charges...get this...$340 for infants, $285 - $320 for toddlers depending on their age, $270 for preschool and $250 for Pre-K...and $138 for before and after, more for full-day school age. If I didn't get a discount my child would never see the inside of that place.

It's the same state...just 20 minutes away on the rich side of town. I've learned its all relative.
Yup. The center I work for is part of a chain and there is a $40 difference between our location in the higher end part of town and the lower end. And there's a $70/week difference between my center's rates and my city's average. Since lower rates means lower pay for workers, among other things, I don't work in the city I live in.

And, yes, being poor causes stress which can lead people to smoking. (And I'm thinking drinking, too?)
Thriftylady 07:13 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
Yup. The center I work for is part of a chain and there is a $40 difference between our location in the higher end part of town and the lower end. And there's a $70/week difference between my center's rates and my city's average. Since lower rates means lower pay for workers, among other things, I don't work in the city I live in.

And, yes, being poor causes stress which can lead people to smoking. (And I'm thinking drinking, too?
)
Hmm I quit smoking 7 or 8 years ago. I have always been what most consider "poor". I guess you get used to it after awhile lol. But I am so glad I quit.
LysesKids 07:37 PM 12-01-2015
Hmm I quit smoking 7 or 8 years ago. I have always been what most consider "poor". I guess you get used to it after awhile lol. But I am so glad I quit.
I quit 15 years ago & I'm still classified as poor also... gained a few pounds, but my lungs thank me
renodeb 09:59 PM 12-01-2015
I have certainly had my share of calls with awkward silence on the other of the phone after saying what my rates are. I have tried to break the silence by saying something like " my rates are very competitive with others in the same area.
To the unregistered guest who made that comment about how we are trying to break these parents so they can't pay there other bills. We are just trying to make a living. I actually figured out what I make and it's like $3.33 an hour. I'm not exactly getting rich off that. I can not exactly imagine someone asking for me to discount that. And also this is a provider's board.
Deb
Crazy Baby 01:26 PM 12-02-2015
"To the unregistered guest who made that comment about how we are trying to break these parents so they can't pay there other bills. We are just trying to make a living. I actually figured out what I make and it's like $3.33 an hour. I'm not exactly getting rich off that. I can not exactly imagine someone asking for me to discount that."

That's what I was thinking. I make less than minimum wage. Do parents realize that they are paying someone just $5 (plus or minus) an hour to provide quality care to their child? Doesn't sound too bad when you really think about it.
Play Care 01:44 PM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
"To the unregistered guest who made that comment about how we are trying to break these parents so they can't pay there other bills. We are just trying to make a living. I actually figured out what I make and it's like $3.33 an hour. I'm not exactly getting rich off that. I can not exactly imagine someone asking for me to discount that."

That's what I was thinking. I make less than minimum wage. Do parents realize that they are paying someone just $5 (plus or minus) an hour to provide quality care to their child? Doesn't sound too bad when you really think about it.
The problem is the parents do "daycare math" they multiply your rate by each child in your care and BAM! They think your NET is that... They don't account for the extra utilities, insurance, licensing requirements, trainings, food, supplies, etc. many think that "because you're home anyway..." that those numbers are negligible.
Thriftylady 02:03 PM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The problem is the parents do "daycare math" they multiply your rate by each child in your care and BAM! They think your NET is that... They don't account for the extra utilities, insurance, licensing requirements, trainings, food, supplies, etc. many think that "because you're home anyway..." that those numbers are negligible.
Yes I think that is why parents think it is so expensive. And like someone else posted, I have had several ask me "well what is the cost if I provide food?". Grr.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:32 PM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:

Exactly! I'm making $2.27/hour per child. I am allowed up to five kids at one time, so if I actually have five kids on a specific day, I would be making $11.36/hour. Yeah, getting rich quick especially since I cut myself off at four kids at one time which brings it down to $9.09/hour. That doesn't count all the time I spend unpaid outside of childcare hours planning and shopping, etc. Then there's the taxes that are taken out since self employment taxes are higher, and then I have to take all kinds of expenses out of that for groceries, household supplies (such as soap, paper towels, toilet paper, and kleenex), art materials and supplies, preschool materials, business supplies (paper, ink, etc), the extra utilities used by having children here all day, and on and on. If I charged any less, I doubt I'd make anything from it. If parents only realized... One mom that asked for my full time rate told my friend (who she didn't know knew me) that I was "charging $x/week! Who can afford that?!" And I'm lower than any other childcare in my town, especially since I provide preschool too
Unregistered 09:46 PM 12-04-2015

I'm in NJ, but I don't know anyone who charges more than 100 per kid including meals. Here, you can only legally watch five children (not including your own). The PRIVATE centers charge like 150. Once they're about three, there's head start and other free options. 500 dollars per week is below the cost of living in NJ. If I was single/my husband didn't work, I wouldn't do this or work in center. I actually have a license to teach in public schools. Getting in the public schools in NJ is like getting into the Mafia. I'm pretty sure you have to kill someone and take a blood oath. JK Not really...
Unregistered 01:45 PM 02-22-2017
When I found out how much daycare costs, I contacted my local representatives. Something needs to be done to offset the costs. My husband and I can't afford to eat!!! We make a little bit too much money to qualify for the subsidy in my area. We are screwed.
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 02-22-2017
When I found out how much daycare costs, I contacted my local representatives. Something needs to be done to offset the costs. My husband and I can't afford to eat!!! We make a little bit too much money to qualify for the subsidy in my area. We are screwed.
Curious what your local representative has to do with the costs of child care?

Daycare is a choice. It's not mandatory.
hwichlaz 02:33 PM 02-22-2017
Curious what your local representative has to do with the costs of child care?

Daycare is a choice. It's not mandatory.
Representatives have a lot to do with the cost of child care when it comes to subsidies.
nannyde 02:38 PM 02-22-2017
Make sure you tell this story to EVERYONE you know of in their child bearing years. If you would have known you don't have the ability to get a job that pays you enough to pay for any aspect of your kids expenses, you would have not brought a child into this world.

It's better to save for YEARS and put away the money for five years of care before you even thought to conceive.

Shout it loud and clear. Tell everyone you meet. Telling your representatives won't help but telling the childless people you meet may.
daycare 02:53 PM 02-22-2017
Make sure you tell this story to EVERYONE you know of in their child bearing years. If you would have known you don't have the ability to get a job that pays you enough to pay for any aspect of your kids expenses, you would have not brought a child into this world.

It's better to save for YEARS and put away the money for five years of care before you even think to conceive.

Shout it loud and clear. Tell everyone you meet. Telling your representatives won't help but telling the childless people you meet may.
I just had to wipe coffee off my screen.....lol
Cat Herder 11:42 AM 02-23-2017

It's better to save for YEARS and put away the money for five years of care before you even thought to conceive.

Thank you!!
Silly Songs 09:10 PM 02-23-2017
Instead of childcare, maybe parents can work opposite hours, or one can stay home. Honestly, if one parent is making less than 10 an hour, it may not be worth it to pay for childcare. Maybe one parent can switch careers and work weekends somewhere and stay home during the week. There are many families who juggle different work schedules so someone is usually home. You can also tell your employer how expensive day care is, ask for a different position which pays more.
Not all families use daycare, usually because it is expensive. Many sacrifice certain things to afford daycare or to have one parent stay home. You can discuss your options with your significant other.
Fiddlesticks 05:58 AM 02-24-2017
I hope you also contacted him/her about housing, healthcare and the price of food. Other things I am sure you are making a bit too much to qualify for the subsidy regarding these items. Surely you would like to see the price of food regulated?
Leigh 07:48 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Instead of childcare, maybe parents can work opposite hours, or one can stay home. Honestly, if one parent is making less than 10 an hour, it may not be worth it to pay for childcare. Maybe one parent can switch careers and work weekends somewhere and stay home during the week. There are many families who juggle different work schedules so someone is usually home. You can also tell your employer how expensive day care is, ask for a different position which pays more.
Not all families use daycare, usually because it is expensive. Many sacrifice certain things to afford daycare or to have one parent stay home. You can discuss your options with your significant other.
You're so right. I'd wager that at least half of the jobs in my city don't pay enough to pay childcare for 2 children, let alone rent, food, etc. There are MANY people who work full time and take home less than $200 a week.
TaylorTots 06:16 PM 02-27-2017

Yes! LOL, do you know how many Des Moines area parents I meet with that same complaint?! I tell them the same thing.
Unregistered 09:08 AM 04-05-2017
Some people plan for relatives to baby sit and something happens to where that is not possible or the dad leaves or something and you are in an unexpected situation looking for child care and most jobs out there only pay a little over 200 a week making it impossible to pay for child care
daycarediva 09:17 AM 04-05-2017
Some people plan for relatives to baby sit and something happens to where that is not possible or the dad leaves or something and you are in an unexpected situation looking for child care and most jobs out there only pay a little over 200 a week making it impossible to pay for child care
and that's what child care assistance is for. Many center based programs also offer sliding fee scales.

$200/week is well below minimum wage, so no that's BS.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 04-05-2017

IF you NEED to use daycare, BUT you cannot AFFORD daycare- you can't afford children. PERIOD.

Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
THIS! YOU DON'T NEED DAYCARE! (says the daycare provider)

I had two children in dc. Had our third and it made no sense financially, so we worked opposite shifts.

It's not the end of the world, but you MUST make sacrifices when you have kids- be it money (childcare) or time (working opposite your spouse).
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 04-05-2017
daycare is not charity.
CityGarden 12:07 PM 04-05-2017
I hope you don't take the comments in this thread as an attack on you personally. There are several reasons I have an only child and cost is one of them, should I decide to have more children my future husband and I would need to be in the financial position for me to either home school (and not work because I personally cannot do both) or be in the financial position to educate and provide care for that child to my standards.

I tell people of child-rearing age all the time that the cost of educating and providing childcare for children is the biggest birth control pill ever.

Childcare for children under two is very limited almost everywhere due to ratio requirements and very expensive. So expensive in fact, that I opted to stay home and find freelance work becoming a WAHM from the time my child was born until - she was school age.

Childcare / Preschool for children 2-5 is expensive as well and wait list are long get on the list for both infant care and preschool as early as possible.

Then your child hits school age and you expect cost to decrease but many (if not most) of the highest ranking public schools are in high COL areas so you are paying in taxes.
Alternatively you can opt for private school (I noted the cost in my area above) or religious schools that often do all the same fundraising (with the exception of the tax increase) and more!

None of this factors in after-school care or all the days off the school has, Thanksgiving Break (1 week), Winter Break (2 weeks), Spring Break (1 week) and Summer Break (8-10 weeks)

Maybe somehow college gets cheaper, LOL! Not really because the parents income is still factored into what they can qualify for aid wise.

Children are expensive..... hermit crabs are not, plan accordingly.
Unregistered 07:18 PM 06-10-2017
Originally Posted by TBird:
UGH!!!

So you're downing a working mother cause she can't afford your rates? I wouldn't use your services or recommend you to anyone with that nasty attitude and lack of compassion. Why the hell would she pay your rate to an in home daycare where her child would be twice as likely to get injured or worse when she can pay a traditional daycare where there is liability insurance at the same rate?? You sound stupid! You act like your "program" leads to the kids receiving scholarships and Ivy League admission. You act as if our country provides EVERYONE the PRIVILEGE to earn a LIVEABLE wage. You, yourself require two streams of income to support your household. Humble yourself Ursela!
flying_babyb 10:30 PM 06-10-2017
wow! you guys are cheap! Its 250 for 2 and up (40 hrs) and 375 for a infant at my center
bklsmum 04:15 AM 06-11-2017
So you're downing a working mother cause she can't afford your rates? I wouldn't use your services or recommend you to anyone with that nasty attitude and lack of compassion. Why the hell would she pay your rate to an in home daycare where her child would be twice as likely to get injured or worse when she can pay a traditional daycare where there is liability insurance at the same rate?? You sound stupid! You act like your "program" leads to the kids receiving scholarships and Ivy League admission. You act as if our country provides EVERYONE the PRIVILEGE to earn a LIVEABLE wage. You, yourself require two streams of income to support your household. Humble yourself Ursela!
Where are you getting those stats from? I would love to see the study that says in home childcare is two times more dangerous...and why do you think in home daycares don't carry liability insurance? And what "traditional daycare" is less than in home daycare? I assume by "traditonal daycare" you mean a center...in every area I have ever lived they are much more expensive than any in home. I charge between 175 and 150 a week and I provide everything and that is MUCH cheaper than any center around here that provide NOTHING...and I have liability insurance as well.
Josiegirl 08:13 AM 06-11-2017
Unreg., you do know the post you're yelling about is 5 1/2 years old, right?? Who sounds stupid here? Most of us have our forum sign-in names available, why don't you? Or maybe you simply signed out so you could blahblahblah without anyone knowing who you are. I'm 100% sure, BlackCat and Michael know who you are. So really, who's the stupid one?

I also carry Liability Insurance. I've had it for years and it just became mandated by the state for home providers to carry it.
Do you know the going childcare rate for the OP's locality? She, herself, mentioned 5 1/2 years ago that she was charging what everyone else in her area was charging.
My town charges around 125 a week, I've heard, 135 too. And that's just a home provider. Centers get 175 or so. I'm in New England. My nephew and his wife, in Boston, pay 250-300 a week(and that was a couple years ago). California, from what providers here have said, can be pretty high.
You don't even know the poster and yet you spew hatred, judgement and intolerance. Then condemn her for her lack of compassion and her nasty attitude. Who the hell are you anyways?
catinthebox 07:35 PM 06-12-2017
the daycare center where i work at is 120 per week and during the summer right now its 150 for the daycamp and for the older kids who are 6-8th grader its 165. Parents can apply for financial aid and during the months of sept,novem,december, they asked us if we can donate esome of the money from our pay checks. I usually donated 2 dollars because i am not a full time worker and a college student. Would love to give more but i need every penny i have.

During the school year, we open at 6 and will drop off the kids at certain schools that we have contact with and will pick them up and provide a snack that is more like a school lunch.
CalCare 07:48 PM 06-12-2017
Well, I think that is just ridiculous that they asked you to donate from your paycheck. Totally unbelievable. How about the owners donate the spaces instead.
284878 07:15 AM 06-13-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Well, I think that is just ridiculous that they asked you to donate from your paycheck. Totally unbelievable. How about the owners donate the spaces instead.
Or have fundraiser
Tags:cause and effect, interview - follow up, parents - changing things, rates, rates - fair and reasonable, rates appropriate families, responsibility
Reply Up