Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand and Foot Disease
Christian Mother 01:08 PM 02-01-2012
I need some advise please...

I was checking on a parent letting them know that their child could come today as one of the kids is out sick due to the that nasty stomach virus that is going around. She messaged me back that her son has the Hand and Food Disease so she is going to hold on to him today. I told her "Oh goodness, I hope he gets better..I have never had it here so I don't know much about it." Would she still be needing me to care for him Fri. or will he be well enough to attend on Fri. and she said yes that her doctor said 24-34hrs would be fine.

What would your advise be as far as what I should do here..pretaining to cleaning...should I clean after the kids leave today since he was in attendance last wend. and fri? or wait til after fri. when the kids leave. I am not sure if he got it here as no one else is showing signs of it. I do know that he was in MI a couple wks ago and did get the stomach virus when he got back that we all got and now he has the Hand and Foot Disease. I am thinking we all could have it now. Not sure. What would you do? I don't want to exclude him if he is well enough to be here but I also don't want the other kids to get it. It would be a wk from fri he was last here..sooo??? Sorry I am writing long and fast...and misspelled words I am in a hurry bc my daughter wants a popsicle..like yesterday!!
Sprouts 04:22 PM 02-01-2012
It's very contagious! It's stays in the stool even after symptoms are gone, if you can ask him to keep him home until Monday. If he has sores anywhere on his body or mouth it can spread, not fun!!
MamaBear 07:52 PM 02-01-2012
Ick... I had a child with this last year. No fun. It is VERY contagious and another baby caught it from him asap. It is very painful for them if they get it in their throats & mouth. CLEAN everything down...Sanitize, bleach all the toys. Notify all the parents so they can be on the look out. And you need to get a dr.'s note from the mom and have him stay home until all sores in his mouth or wherever they are gone. I have in my policy that the child has to stay home for either 5 days or until all sores are completely healed and gone. It does stay in their stool for a long time though so you you need to wash hands all the time as usual and more so. DONT let him come Friday. He would probably be ok by Monday though.
Christian Mother 08:45 AM 02-02-2012
Ohhhh!! I feel for this little guy but I have 2 infants in my care I have to make sure does not get this...Yikes!!

I will contact her tonight and ask her how he is doing and let her know need to make sure all his sores on his mouth are gone before he can come back even though her doctor said 24-36 hrs.

I notified all my parents yesterday on the phone and also at pick up as soon as I found out. My husband ashually works with the father and my husband said that the child was at work with mom and his baby sister and he had sores on his mouth. Kind of my back up in confirming how dcb is doing.

I don't think I will even ask for a doctors note as he is drop in status I will just ask her to keep him til Mond.
REWALKER04 08:58 AM 02-02-2012
hand foot and mouth is very contagious and is contagious until all blisters are scabbed over! So unless he has had it awhile I dont think he will be able to come tomorrow!
Christian Mother 09:42 AM 02-02-2012
I just messaged her...I feel so guilty if dcb got it from here...like sick to my stomach. I try soooo hard to make sure everything is clean. I am sooo tired...Everyone has been sick with that stomach virus and it's spread like a wild fire...that is all I need is for a break out of that to go around here.

I've only had 2 kids ashually out this week but even when they where here they clearly showed signs of not feeling well at all. Thank goodness mom kept one home and the other one started getting a temp just before her father picked her up. She was very fussy that day. The brother of the sick one who stayed home seemed to be coming down with the same thing but no temp or throwing up. Just fussy. And now this.

Mom said all he was lucky bc his was a small case and that she felt he didn't get it here. That made me feel much better that she didn't blame me..bc I blame myself. She said he had 1 blister on his lip and inside his mouth which is gone now (YEA)!! I will make sure though tomorrow that all is well in thoughs areas. I'll ashually be putting a lot of the toys out of reach tomorrow to minimize toy sanitation. This child is not a "oral" child who likes to put hands and toys in his mouth. That will help me i am sure.
Sprouts 06:57 PM 02-02-2012
yes this virus is no fun! My sun barely ate because it was so painful and he had a febral seizure because his temp was so high
Tags:cdc, coxsackie, hand foot and mouth
Reply Up