Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sleeping Advice For 11 Month Old
burleson 11:42 AM 09-10-2014
I have an infant who refuses to nap on his own. He will only fall asleep in my arms and when I transition him to crib wakes up and won't fall asleep. I also tried CIO method takes him 20 mins to cry and he might fall asleep.when he falls asleep with CIO he wakes up in 15-20 mins and cries some more. The little guy is tired!!! Any suggestions??
Heidi 11:50 AM 09-10-2014
Keep it up with the CIO. It doesn't "work" in one day. EVERY TIME you go back to rocking and carrying, you just wasted all the effort and upset you (and he) had to go through the last time.

Now, CIO, to me, is not the right word, but it's semantics. Love on him, tuck him in, say nighty-nighty sweetly, and walk out. After 7-10 minutes, if he's still crying, go in and reassure. Genttle touch, tuck in (or lay down if he's standing), whisper night-night, and out. Next round, wait a bit longer...10-12 minutes, then 15, and so on. Very simple, very quiet, just be there to reassure him.

If he wakes after a short time, treat it the same way. Wait 7 or so minutes, then do the same as above.

Once nap is over, throw a party. "Good morning! It's time to get up! Your friends are just waking up, too! Yay! " Make noise, sing, talk, be cheerful. He will catch on pretty quick, but not in 1-2 days. By Wednesday next week, he'll do pretty good, Thursday better, Friday great, and the following Monday, it'll be rough. Then, gradually better again each day. It usually takes a couple weeks of consistency, especially once they are 11 months old and can stand up.
Shell 11:52 AM 09-10-2014
Here we go again! Another baby that had to fall asleep with assistance - it's becoming an epidemic. I wouldn't waste time holding a child at this age (who could be quite heavy). I would lay down consistently at same time everyday and either sit near by and pat his back and say, "shh" - walk away, repeat. This is going to take work, but if you let him up, he won't get the rest he needs. I always tell myself- do this now (sleep train) or it's going to be much harder later. Good luck!
Shell 01:31 PM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Keep it up with the CIO. It doesn't "work" in one day. EVERY TIME you go back to rocking and carrying, you just wasted all the effort and upset you (and he) had to go through the last time.

Now, CIO, to me, is not the right word, but it's semantics. Love on him, tuck him in, say nighty-nighty sweetly, and walk out. After 7-10 minutes, if he's still crying, go in and reassure. Genttle touch, tuck in (or lay down if he's standing), whisper night-night, and out. Next round, wait a bit longer...10-12 minutes, then 15, and so on. Very simple, very quiet, just be there to reassure him.

If he wakes after a short time, treat it the same way. Wait 7 or so minutes, then do the same as above.

Once nap is over, throw a party. "Good morning! It's time to get up! Your friends are just waking up, too! Yay! " Make noise, sing, talk, be cheerful. He will catch on pretty quick, but not in 1-2 days. By Wednesday next week, he'll do pretty good, Thursday better, Friday great, and the following Monday, it'll be rough. Then, gradually better again each day. It usually takes a couple weeks of consistency, especially once they are 11 months old and can stand up.
I typed before I read your post. Your baby advice has helped me tremendously!
TwinKristi 02:07 PM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

This is what I did as well!! Didn't even take a full week to get her sleeping!!
Reply Up