Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand Foot and Mouth
Denali 05:22 PM 08-20-2015
DCB (almost 3 yrs old) was dropped off today at 8:20 AM. Mom was in a hurry to leave to get to work so straight off handed him to me and left as he cried for him. Just out of their morning routine. Usually she hangs out for about 10 to 15 minutes as he cries and refuses to come in...

Little boy is always upset at drop off. So I don't think anything of it and put him down after removing his boots. He climbs onto the couch and that is basically where he sits, won't eat breakfast, or drink anything. He obviously looks miserable and that he's not feeling well so I feel his four head and it's warm. The way he looks and how warm he is I suspected a dose and drop, I check his temperature and it's 98.8 at 9:00am. I do the math and figure that if he was dosed up on Tylenol it should start wearing off about 11-noon.

By 9:30 AM his temperature is at 99.8. And is obviously feeling absolutely horrible. Text mom asking how the night was because DCB seems very tired and won't eat or drink anything. No Response from mom.

I take his temperature again at 10 AM and it's now at 101.0 ( I exclude at 101.1) so I send a text to mom again saying that DCB is running a fever and I need her to call me back as soon as she gets this message. I follow the text up with a phone call and get no answer.

I call again at 10:30 AM because I haven't heard from her yet and that is very unlike her, usually she responds within 10 minutes of me texting ( preferred form of communication) so I proceed to call the first person listed on my authorization for pick up form. I get a hold of the lady ( A friend of moms) and tell her what's going on and I can't get a hold of mom but need somebody to come pick up DCB. The friend tells me that mom must be in a meeting and she will call her cell phone and will get a hold of her, tells me that either her or Mom would get a hold of me in a few moments and hangs up before I can say anything else.

Sure enough within five minutes I'm getting a phone call from mom. She proceeds to tell me that her phone was on silent and at her desk and she was off meeting with faculty. That she noticed her friend calling so she answered it and was told what was going on. Asked how high DCB's fever was ( which at that point it was 101.3) and told me " oh gosh that means he can't be there with you because of your policies I will be there in a few minutes"

She comes In to pick up little boy and tells me that he was up at six this morning but had Been feeling fine and that she wanted me to remove her friend off my call list and takes DCB Home. At noon I get a text from mom saying that his temperature is at 100.8 but she was going to take him to the doctor just in case it was an ear infection.

I just received a call at 3:30 PM with her telling me that her son has hand foot and mouth. That she will call me back later this afternoon and tell me more and then hangs up because DCB is in the background crying.

I'm angry because I am pretty dang positive that she dosed him up with Tylenol and brought him here knowing he was sick ( maybe not knowing hand foot mouth ) but still...

I wanted to see what everyone's policies were regarding hand foot and mouth disease. My sick policies say that if a child is sick they may not return until symptom-free for 24 hours...

CDC website says you can be sick for 7 to 10 days. Would you exclude for that long if he is still sick ? I know mom will not be happy if I tell her this because she had just gotten in trouble for being late and missing work last week. Though that's her own doing as she lets her child dictate their lives, let him choose when he wants to listen to her and we all know how that works with an almost 3-year-old...

Help!
Michael 05:34 PM 08-20-2015
We have a lot of threads on this topic: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...foot+and+mouth
mamamanda 05:38 PM 08-20-2015
Hand foot & mouth is hard b/c it lasts so long & can be contagious even after symptoms are gone. I basically go off of the fever. Fever free for 24 hours & able to participate fully in group activities. Make sure dcb is washing hands frequently, especially after using the potty, before and after eating, after wiping nose, etc. Make sure you're washing your hands well when working with him as well. I also wipe down the toilet with Lysol wipes often she this is going around as it can be passed through stool for weeks after symptoms disappear if I remember correctly. I've had kids with spots for 3 weeks from hfm. Its annoying as heck, but typically its relatively mild. Good luck to you!
littletots 09:58 AM 08-21-2015
Sounds like we have similar guidelines & I would go off 24 hrs fever free as mentioned. Look at the bright side:
- dcm did pick up. I've had dcp not get message for 4 hrs as I call both local contacts listed, when finally reach dcp says coming & picks up 30 mins early.
- dcm called with update. I've had dcp not say a word. I have to ask. Dck out 2 days turns out had strep.
- dcm knew policy. Some dcp act like they've need read sick policy.
Hope dck has speedy recovery!
childcaremom 10:38 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by Denali:
DCB (almost 3 yrs old) was dropped off today at 8:20 AM. Mom was in a hurry to leave to get to work so straight off handed him to me and left as he cried for him. Just out of their morning routine. Usually she hangs out for about 10 to 15 minutes as he cries and refuses to come in...

Little boy is always upset at drop off. So I don't think anything of it and put him down after removing his boots. He climbs onto the couch and that is basically where he sits, won't eat breakfast, or drink anything. He obviously looks miserable and that he's not feeling well so I feel his four head and it's warm. The way he looks and how warm he is I suspected a dose and drop, I check his temperature and it's 98.8 at 9:00am. I do the math and figure that if he was dosed up on Tylenol it should start wearing off about 11-noon.

By 9:30 AM his temperature is at 99.8. And is obviously feeling absolutely horrible. Text mom asking how the night was because DCB seems very tired and won't eat or drink anything. No Response from mom.

I take his temperature again at 10 AM and it's now at 101.0 ( I exclude at 101.1) so I send a text to mom again saying that DCB is running a fever and I need her to call me back as soon as she gets this message. I follow the text up with a phone call and get no answer.

I call again at 10:30 AM because I haven't heard from her yet and that is very unlike her, usually she responds within 10 minutes of me texting ( preferred form of communication) so I proceed to call the first person listed on my authorization for pick up form. I get a hold of the lady ( A friend of moms) and tell her what's going on and I can't get a hold of mom but need somebody to come pick up DCB. The friend tells me that mom must be in a meeting and she will call her cell phone and will get a hold of her, tells me that either her or Mom would get a hold of me in a few moments and hangs up before I can say anything else.

Sure enough within five minutes I'm getting a phone call from mom. She proceeds to tell me that her phone was on silent and at her desk and she was off meeting with faculty. That she noticed her friend calling so she answered it and was told what was going on. Asked how high DCB's fever was ( which at that point it was 101.3) and told me " oh gosh that means he can't be there with you because of your policies I will be there in a few minutes"

She comes In to pick up little boy and tells me that he was up at six this morning but had Been feeling fine and that she wanted me to remove her friend off my call list and takes DCB Home. At noon I get a text from mom saying that his temperature is at 100.8 but she was going to take him to the doctor just in case it was an ear infection.

I just received a call at 3:30 PM with her telling me that her son has hand foot and mouth. That she will call me back later this afternoon and tell me more and then hangs up because DCB is in the background crying.

I'm angry because I am pretty dang positive that she dosed him up with Tylenol and brought him here knowing he was sick ( maybe not knowing hand foot mouth ) but still...

I wanted to see what everyone's policies were regarding hand foot and mouth disease. My sick policies say that if a child is sick they may not return until symptom-free for 24 hours...

CDC website says you can be sick for 7 to 10 days. Would you exclude for that long if he is still sick ? I know mom will not be happy if I tell her this because she had just gotten in trouble for being late and missing work last week. Though that's her own doing as she lets her child dictate their lives, let him choose when he wants to listen to her and we all know how that works with an almost 3-year-old...

Help!
I bolded above. Dope and drop is the most serious offense a parent can make, imho.

I have had two families pull this stunt. One got a warning. Was termed for something else.

The second was termed for it. Not their first offense, and sadly, not their most offensive.

A few red flags for me in this situation:

Mom answered when friend was calling and not you? That doesn't make sense.
Mom drops off and runs?
Mom has already been in trouble for missing work?

I would say mom knew he was sick and didn't want to get in trouble at work. figured she'd get him in to care for part of the day and at least be there for some of her work day.

I know this isn't what you asked about but I would be taking a long look at my relationship with this family. If i felt they were trustworthy, I would consider giving her a warning about my suspicions and exclude until symptom free (without medicine, stressing the without). If there have been other issues, I would term.

Sorry. I know this is not what you were asking about but this is one thing that I don't like to put up with. Period.
nannyde 12:24 PM 08-21-2015
Why does mom want friend off the list? Did she replace with someone who could come get the child quickly?

She may not want what happened today to happen again... meaning someone else calls and then she HAS to respond. She wanted to be unavailable and didn't count on you calling backup. She won't make that mistake again.

Tell her she MUST be available at all times or have someone else who can take over if she isn't. She needs to notify you immediately BEFORE she becomes unavailable. You can't keep a child who doesn't have a parent available to parent. Forcing a provider to keep a sick kid is not parenting.

She knew he was sick. She doped him. She refused to take your calls. She lied.

She needs to be dealt with immediately.
lblanke 01:34 PM 08-21-2015
Just wondering how you picked 101.1? Many medical professionals consider 100.4 (especially if immunocompromised) or 101.0 F for the cut off for a true fever?
renodeb 12:18 PM 08-24-2015
I have had hfm in my dc twice in 10 years. First time only one child got it. The second time the mom texted me that she thinks her child has measles. (I'm thinking probably not) he had fever and sores around his mouth. I told her that she needs to go tot he dr. hours later she finally text me back and reports that it is HFM. His sores got worse and worse and I excluded him until his sores where all totally healed over. Mom kept challenging me about that but I stuck to my guns and he was out 6 days. The other child that got it from him was out 8 days. He got it bad. Sores in his mouth as well as around his mouth. Neither parent was happy but they abided. I can almost always tell when it's a dose and drop because they are fine all morning and then around 11 or so they start wilting and by 12:00 they are pretty miserable. I have heard that they are contagious for up to 3 -6 weeks after that. (not sure about that). HFM can be a nasty one to contain so I don't chance anything.
Deb
Tags:foot and mouth, hand foot and mouth
Reply Up