Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Be Concerned? lol
mamamanda 12:34 PM 07-30-2014
Dcb 2.7 is pretty aggressive. We have worked hard to curb the negative behavior, but biting, hitting, kicking, poking eyes, etc. have been recurrent themes with this little guy. He's been doing better. Not great, but better. Then yesterday and today he's said 4 or 5 times, "I'm going to mow you and cut you into little pieces." He's said it to 3 different people. I realize he's 2 and probably doesn't understand what he's saying, but I kind of feel like I should be double checking the lock on the shed where we store the mower. lol I just keep explaining this isn't kind and we don't talk like that. The things these kids come up with.
AmyKidsCo 12:43 PM 07-30-2014
I wouldn't worry about it. Like you said, he really doesn't know what he's saying. He knows it's not nice and it'll get a great reaction out of you, but I doubt he really wants to cut someone up with a lawn mower.

Here's a great handout about this kind of thing from Lisa Murphy, the Ooey Gooey Lady:
http://www.ooeygooey.com/wp-content/...youre-dead.pdf
coolconfidentme 01:15 PM 07-30-2014
You should be concerned for the safety of the group as a whole. You have a child who displays negative behavior Like the biting, hitting, kicking & poking eye. I would term before the other parents start pulling their kids.
Blackcat31 01:18 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Dcb 2.7 is pretty aggressive. We have worked hard to curb the negative behavior, but biting, hitting, kicking, poking eyes, etc. have been recurrent themes with this little guy. He's been doing better. Not great, but better. Then yesterday and today he's said 4 or 5 times, "I'm going to mow you and cut you into little pieces." He's said it to 3 different people. I realize he's 2 and probably doesn't understand what he's saying, but I kind of feel like I should be double checking the lock on the shed where we store the mower. lol I just keep explaining this isn't kind and we don't talk like that. The things these kids come up with.
I wouldn't be concerned at this age.

I would take the opportunity to talk with both DCK and family about appropriate language and how saying things for shock value (which at this age, most of that kind of stuff is...) is not ok.

I would get concerned if AFTER the talk and redirection, he continued to display behaviors or say things that are aggressive or of a violent nature.

Oh, and make sure he isn't allowed near the shed for a little bit anyways
Cat Herder 02:32 PM 07-30-2014
I was going to respond to you and add a link about violence talk/behavior in daycare, but got distracted by "End Preschool Expulsions Now" support groups listings.... and the responses/recommendations from various State Administration websites. They are pushing for us to have to use the same suspension/expulsion practices (rules/regs) as is in K-12th.

Wow.

Much reading to do, there....
Tags:violence in child care, violence talk
Reply Up