Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those two weeks.......
trippingontoys 07:02 AM 02-14-2014
While you are waiting for the parent you just gave notice to, to find a new provider.

I had to give notice for the first time (since I began child care almost 4 years ago) to a parent that I can no longer watch their child. She's a biter and its happened 3 documented times (and 2 that I am 99% sure of but can't prove) since she started 5 weeks ago. I do not feel comfortable taking my eyes off of her for a second, even to change a diaper. My other parents, who are not happy when their kids get bit, have been with me since almost the beginning and its not worth the stress of this child that's only part time. There are some other behavioral issues, but mostly ones I could deal with.

So I gave notice yesterday. This morning drop off was very awkward.........

And I feel terrible. Dad is a nice guy, was very understanding, said its just a bad situation all the way around. Wishes he could fix it. Then I started waffling about calling him and telling him I'll keep her. I didn't do it, but I seriously considered it.

I have determined that people pleasers do not make good bosses...........
ihop 07:41 AM 02-14-2014
You are doing the right thing by terming. If the child is only part time then the two weeks should go by quickly. Honestly you are nicer then me. I would have done immediate termination so they should be thankful to have time to find a new provider.
Cradle2crayons 08:12 AM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
You are doing the right thing by terming. If the child is only part time then the two weeks should go by quickly. Honestly you are nicer then me. I would have done immediate termination so they should be thankful to have time to find a new provider.
don't take it personal. Sometimes, even nice parents have issues or their kids have issues that make group care not suitable. It's not your fault, but in the end, it's the parents responsibility to fix these issues and not you. It's what's best for everyone involved and may be what it takes for the parents to take these issues seriously and do something about it.

In the end it isn't worth it to risk the safety of every other child.

You did the right thing.
Play Care 08:47 AM 02-14-2014
It's so hard to not take things personally, but I've gotten somewhat better about it. Sounds as if the parents are taking it well, so fake it not being awkward until it isn't anymore
cheerfuldom 09:07 AM 02-14-2014
You should feel good about what you did, not bad. you kept other kids safe and your business safe and put the solution back on the parents, where it belongs. you have nothing to feel bad about. you didnt do anything wrong just because the parents are being inconvenienced to find a new sitter.
daycarediva 09:47 AM 02-14-2014
I felt bad about my first few terms, too. It gets easier. It also sounds as if it's necessary, especially since there is no way to prevent it from happening again. I would definitely separate her until her two weeks are over. Glad the parents are understanding!
Maria2013 10:35 AM 02-14-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
You should feel good about what you did, not bad. you kept other kids safe and your business safe and put the solution back on the parents, where it belongs. you have nothing to feel bad about. you didnt do anything wrong just because the parents are being inconvenienced to find a new sitter.

anything else I might try to "work with" but biting repeatedly? that's where I draw the line
Tags:biter, notice, terminate - biter, termination, two weeks, violence in child care
Reply Up