Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Provider Given 10 Years’ Probation After Trying To Hang Toddler
Country Kids 03:24 PM 07-17-2018
A Minneapolis daycare owner was Sentenced Monday to 10 years of probation for trying to kill a toddler in her home by hanging him!!!

http://m.news9.com/story.aspx?story=...5&catId=112032
LysesKids 04:12 PM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
A Minneapolis daycare owner was Sentenced Monday to 10 years of probation for trying to kill a toddler in her home by hanging him!!!

http://m.news9.com/story.aspx?story=...5&catId=112032
This wrong on so many levels... she needs to be in jail in the psych ward
Cat Herder 04:57 PM 07-17-2018
10 months. Months. I hope that is a typo, even 10 years is absurd.

"A Minneapolis home day-care operator who pleaded guilty to hanging a toddler she was caring for from a noose, before running over two people in her attempt to flee, was given a mere 10 months’ probation as her sentence.

Nataliaa Karia, 43, pleaded guilty to attempted murder in February for hanging the boy inside her home, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Prosecutors said Karia tried to kill the 16 month old on Nov. 18, 2016 by hanging him from a noose in her basement and leaving him there while she fled in her minivan"

Karia fled from the home in her minivan, and rear-ended a car. When the other driver got out to check the damage, Karia pulled into traffic and dragged him for 10 blocks, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Next, she struck a 29-year-old bicyclist with her van. That victim suffered broken bones and had to have a rod surgically implanted in his leg so that it wouldn’t have to be amputated.

Then Karia then hit another car driven by a pregnant woman.

After that, she drove to a freeway overpass and threatened to jump. A Good Samaritan held her down until police arrived and took her into custody.

In her defense, Karia told the court how her husband had abused her and her children since they came to the United States from the Ukraine in 2006.

Karia told the court that when she was pregnant, and learned it was going to be another daughter, her husband punched her in the stomach for not having a son.

She read a statement in Russian that was interpreted to English, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

"I don't want to push this terrible crime onto my husband. I just want to explain what happened," she said, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "Your Honor, my children need me… Give me a chance to resume a normal life."

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesma...E2yRulfqQ5iSA/
Country Kids 05:03 PM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
10 months. Months.

"A Minneapolis home day-care operator who pleaded guilty to hanging a toddler she was caring for from a noose, before running over two people in her attempt to flee, was given a mere 10 months’ probation as her sentence.

Nataliaa Karia, 43, pleaded guilty to attempted murder in February for hanging the boy inside her home, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Prosecutors said Karia tried to kill the 16 month old on Nov. 18, 2016 by hanging him from a noose in her basement and leaving him there while she fled in her minivan"

Karia fled from the home in her minivan, and rear-ended a car. When the other driver got out to check the damage, Karia pulled into traffic and dragged him for 10 blocks, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Next, she struck a 29-year-old bicyclist with her van. That victim suffered broken bones and had to have a rod surgically implanted in his leg so that it wouldn’t have to be amputated.

Then Karia then hit another car driven by a pregnant woman.

After that, she drove to a freeway overpass and threatened to jump. A Good Samaritan held her down until police arrived and took her into custody.

In her defense, Karia told the court how her husband had abused her and her children since they came to the United States from the Ukraine in 2006.

Karia told the court that when she was pregnant, and learned it was going to be another daughter, her husband punched her in the stomach for not having a son.

She read a statement in Russian that was interpreted to English, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

"I don't want to push this terrible crime onto my husband. I just want to explain what happened," she said, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "Your Honor, my children need me… Give me a chance to resume a normal life."

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesma...E2yRulfqQ5iSA/
Stories are conflicting then, as the one I posted said 10 years and the one you posted says 10 months. I'm thinking 10 years is more likely but no jail time leaves me speechless!
Blackcat31 06:31 PM 07-17-2018
From what I know from social media groups her biggest supporters/advocates were her daycare families. Including the parents of the toddler (victim).
mommyneedsadayoff 09:22 PM 07-17-2018
There were no victim impact stories at her sentencing. That tells me a lot and many of her daycare families support the decision. This was a major cry for help. Like, a huge cry for help. I dont believe she ever intended to hurt that baby or t bye other people, but your mind can do crazy stuff when its traumatized. I'm actually supportive of the decision, which sounds crazy, but she spent 20 months in prison, and will spend her life paying for this, but hopefully get treatment that helps versus rotting in prison.
Michael 01:21 AM 07-18-2018
None of the three died and they all survived. I think she also has a 15 year delayed sentence so if she does anything to error in her 10 probation, she goes to jail for the 15.
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 07-18-2018
Electronic monitoring for 2 months and mental health help? Okay. But I think she should be electronically monitored for much much longer. And how does one deem her mentally healthy after treatment? It doesn't take much to make a person snap.
Yes, no one was killed but that was pure luck, nothing but pure luck. What would've happened to that toddler if a dcd hadn't walked in so soon? Or if all those people she hit hadn't recovered? As it was, she affected their lives in a major way. It just seems like such an unfair punishment compared to some you see doled out. I believe she probably can be rehabilitated, hopefully, but she also sounds like she could easily snap again.
Cat Herder 05:28 AM 07-18-2018
What about the other two women she hit with her vehicle? One was literally dragged for blocks. Where is their justice?

The kid will know though. He will be an adult one day. They always remember caretakers who were cruel to them. As they should.
amberrose3dg 05:34 AM 07-18-2018
What about the other two women she hit with her vehicle? One was literally dragged for blocks. Where is their justice?

The kid will know though. He will be an adult one day. They always remember caretakers who were cruel to them. As they should.

This
mommyneedsadayoff 08:02 AM 07-18-2018

She pled guilty to 3rd degree assault in the case of the pedestrians, so her sentencing for that was pretty normal. I'm surprised the attempted murder charge brought so little prison time, especially since it was a child, but I'm just glad no one died. Actult, I'm super surprised no one died. I cant imagine being dragged for blocks!
Cat Herder 08:30 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
She pled guilty to 3rd degree assault in the case of the pedestrians, so her sentencing for that was pretty normal. I'm surprised the attempted murder charge brought so little prison time, especially since it was a child, but I'm just glad no one died. Actult, I'm super surprised no one died. I cant imagine being dragged for blocks!
I can't imagine her getting the same sentence if she were a man.
Cat Herder 08:40 AM 07-18-2018
This male teacher got two years in prison for firing a gun in an empty/locked classroom during a suicide crisis. One student twisted his ankle running down the hall way.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...aign=5287247&&
mommyneedsadayoff 08:58 AM 07-18-2018
I can't imagine her getting the same sentence if she were a man.
I totally agree. If she were black or latino, she may have had a higher chance, but if she was a man, I think she would have been sentenced much more harshly and spent way more time in prison. It is also much more likely that she would have never made it off the bridge if she was male.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 07-18-2018
"A judge pointed to a "perfect storm" of circumstances Monday when he spared prison for a Minneapolis home day-care operator who attempted to hang a toddler in the basement before fleeing in her minivan and leaving a trail of mayhem, seriously injuring two people.

Nataliia Karia, 43, abandoned a possible insanity defense and pleaded guilty in February to attempted murder in connection with the hanging of the boy from a noose ....

The 16-month-old survived after a parent dropping off a child intervened and took the noose from the boy's neck.

Karia also admitted before Hennepin County District Judge Jay Quam to third-degree assault for striking a pedestrian, another driver and a bicyclist as she fled in her minivan. She was snatched from a Minneapolis freeway overpass, ready to jump, and taken into custody....

In deciding against prison time, Quam agreed with the assessment by doctors that Karia was "a low risk" to reoffend. He called her actions "the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated." ...

Karia, who fought back tears and low sobs throughout the hearing, read a statement in Russian spelling out in great detail the abuses she alleges her husband inflicted upon her and her children since they arrived to the United States from Ukraine in 2006. She said he hit and threatened to kill her, drove the family into financial ruin, forced her to work despite her psychological struggles and prevented her from getting medical attention"

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/17...e-provider-who

While I am NOT supporting, condoning or arguing the outcome of this case, I do want to say that no case is ever just cut and dried.

There is no one size fits all in regards to punishment and consequences but as providers I would think that many of us, although not capable or such acts, could at least empathize with the fact that the stress, pressure and conflicts presented overall on the emotional/mental well being of being a child care provider can cause a person behave in a way that was never imagined.

Child care stress is very unique and something no other profession in the world understands or can related to on the same level.
Annalee 09:54 AM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
"A judge pointed to a "perfect storm" of circumstances Monday when he spared prison for a Minneapolis home day-care operator who attempted to hang a toddler in the basement before fleeing in her minivan and leaving a trail of mayhem, seriously injuring two people.

Nataliia Karia, 43, abandoned a possible insanity defense and pleaded guilty in February to attempted murder in connection with the hanging of the boy from a noose ....

The 16-month-old survived after a parent dropping off a child intervened and took the noose from the boy's neck.

Karia also admitted before Hennepin County District Judge Jay Quam to third-degree assault for striking a pedestrian, another driver and a bicyclist as she fled in her minivan. She was snatched from a Minneapolis freeway overpass, ready to jump, and taken into custody....

In deciding against prison time, Quam agreed with the assessment by doctors that Karia was "a low risk" to reoffend. He called her actions "the perfect storm of factors unlikely to ever be repeated." ...

Karia, who fought back tears and low sobs throughout the hearing, read a statement in Russian spelling out in great detail the abuses she alleges her husband inflicted upon her and her children since they arrived to the United States from Ukraine in 2006. She said he hit and threatened to kill her, drove the family into financial ruin, forced her to work despite her psychological struggles and prevented her from getting medical attention"

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/17...e-provider-who

While I am NOT supporting, condoning or arguing the outcome of this case, I do want to say that no case is ever just cut and dried.

There is no one size fits all in regards to punishment and consequences but as providers I would think that many of us, although not capable or such acts, could at least empathize with the fact that the stress, pressure and conflicts presented overall on the emotional/mental well being of being a child care provider can cause a person behave in a way that was never imagined.

Child care stress is very unique and something no other profession in the world understands or can related to on the same level.
Totally agree with your view point. I have posted on many threads about my friends that left the profession....they tell me you don't realize how stressful this job is (child care, state requirements, client issues, etc.) until you don't do it anymore.
Tags:article, child abuse, mental disorder, mental illness, mentally unstable, violence in child care
Reply Up