Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies & Winter? ?
momneedscoffee 09:40 AM 01-03-2016
How do you manage to go outside with babies in winter? If you take them out, where do you put them (non walkers)? I need to get outside with the older ones but haven't quite figured this part out ha
Josiegirl 12:49 PM 01-03-2016
Depends on how little they are I guess. Mine are all walkers at the moment so I've got 5 toddler sleds waiting to go. If they can sit up at all I think I'd prop them up as well as possible with blankets in toddler sleds, secure them, and head out. If they're younger than that maybe cover them well and bring them in their car seats? As long as you keep a good eye on them, don't let them fall asleep and all that, I would think that would be okay?
heyhun77 01:40 PM 01-03-2016
I have one infant and 2 toddlers plus the big kids. I wear the baby in a carrier and have a sweatshirt with a hole in it then I put a hat on him to keep his head warm. The toddlers I get them all dressed and ready and they scoot down the front steps and then walk to the backyard. When they were a little younger I kept a sled by the front door so they could have a ride to the backyard.

For playtime, I have a stroller for the baby if he can be put down for a while. He is starting to sit up so he loves being pulled around in the infant sled. The toddlers love being in the snow and when the snow is too deep we use the snowblower to make paths in the yard so even the little kids can run without getting stuck in the snow.
momneedscoffee 08:48 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
I have one infant and 2 toddlers plus the big kids. I wear the baby in a carrier and have a sweatshirt with a hole in it then I put a hat on him to keep his head warm. The toddlers I get them all dressed and ready and they scoot down the front steps and then walk to the backyard. When they were a little younger I kept a sled by the front door so they could have a ride to the backyard.

For playtime, I have a stroller for the baby if he can be put down for a while. He is starting to sit up so he loves being pulled around in the infant sled. The toddlers love being in the snow and when the snow is too deep we use the snowblower to make paths in the yard so even the little kids can run without getting stuck in the snow.
Thanks! For some reason I didn't even think about a carrier even though I use one quite often. I just got a new dc baby and am worrying myself trying to make everyone happy
nothingwithoutjoy 10:27 AM 01-04-2016
A few additional ideas that helped me:
a wool blanket on the snow to play on,
a pack-n-play set up in the snow for napping,
a wading pool as a dry place to play if the snow's too wet/cold to crawl on
AmyKidsCo 04:58 PM 01-07-2016
Not easily, LOL!

I have a 5 mo old, an 8 mo old, and 5 kiddos aged 2-4. I take them out in 2-3 shifts: oldest ones first, then babies in bouncy seats. Sometimes big kids and 1 infant then I go back in for the other infant. The 8 mo old hates the bouncy so today I put her on a waterproof blanket on the snow. She loved trying to grab the snow!
Lorna 06:48 PM 01-07-2016
Snow pants boots and I place them on the snow. Let them learn to walk, crawl on it. Kids always have fun in the snow. If they have a good snowsuit they won't be cold. But my youngest child has been 9 months.
Jazzii 07:33 PM 01-09-2016
At our busiest day we have 16 kids, 3-4 non walkers and 2-3 staff on hand. For tiny babies (which we don't have anymore) we would wear them, for older/mobile (non-walker) babies we put them in the stroller. We have 2 doubles and a single.

Once we get to where we're going we take them out and put them on the ground with us.
childcaremom 12:23 PM 01-10-2016
I don't take infants BUT with my own, I would use a stroller so that they were up off the ground, bundle them, and they would be fine. Once they were mobile, they were off with the rest of them.

My youngest is 12 months and not walking. We still go out. Parents provide a decent set of outdoor equipment and they crawl around, sit and watch the others, etc. I have a large deck that I can keep cleared off and we don't have too much snow yet so it's fairly easy to get around the yard, as well.
Play Care 02:51 AM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I don't take infants BUT with my own, I would use a stroller so that they were up off the ground, bundle them, and they would be fine. Once they were mobile, they were off with the rest of them.

My youngest is 12 months and not walking. We still go out. Parents provide a decent set of outdoor equipment and they crawl around, sit and watch the others, etc. I have a large deck that I can keep cleared off and we don't have too much snow yet so it's fairly easy to get around the yard, as well.
This. The stroller is my friend when I have infants.

I don't love the idea of placing young infants in the snow, as I'd worry about snow making its way into snow suits and baby getting cold. I just am not comfortable wearing babies (and I've tried several different ways, different kids, lol It's never worked well for me)

I like the stroller because they can see the other kids and I can wheel them around to change their scenery. If another child needs me, I can easily attend to them because baby is secure. I figure we are not out for long periods during the winter, and baby gets a lot of floor time in my program so to be strapped in for the 15-20 minutes whilst outside isn't a big deal.
Unregistered 09:44 AM 01-11-2016
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flye...-Wagon/3541214

Or use this type of wagon and line it in fleece. Put babies in snowsuits, buckle them in and wrap in fleece. No dangling feet + an extra layer of warmth.

Or slayer of worms which is what that autocorrected to.

Unregistered 03:25 PM 01-14-2016
The radio flyer wagon or a stroller.
Tags:cold weather, infants - winter, winter
Reply Up