Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assessing Late Fees On Multiple Invoices?
MG&Lsmom 08:44 AM 09-07-2011
I've posted about this DCM before. She's always been late but upfront about ability/inability to pay. I have not seen her since DCBs last day here (8/8/11). He started as PT, went to FT, back to PT, then finally to occasional care over the past 10 months. She was paying off a huge balance owed to me, then stopped sending him for about 3 weeks to save some money to be able to pay me (G'ma was watching him). The 8/8/11 day was a last minute thing when I had room to take him. That day G'pa picked him up and I sent home an invoice for her past due amount & that day's charges. The last time I heard from her was 8/15 when she wanted to send him with 1 hour notice, to which I declined due to lack of availability. I asked when she would be able to pay me her balance, no response (we were texting).

As of today, she has an outstanding balance of $55. Not a lot, however for her it's like a mortgage payment. Invoices unpaid date back to July. I plan to send her a certified letter demanding payment by 9/16 or I'll be filing in small claims. I have never assessed the late fee ($10/day) to her because she always let me know what and when she could pay me and would pay me in little bits and pieces as a show of good faith. This is not happening now. I would like to include as an incentive that I will waive all the late fees if paid in full by the above date, but if not, I'd like to seek those late fees in court. I have a signed contract with her including the late fees. But how do I calculate the fees? Do I charge $10/day for invoice #1, then $20/day starting when invoice #2 became late and $30/day when invoice #3 became late? I know this will be a lot of money and her paycheck and child support will have to be garnished for a VERY long time to pay it back. I'm willing to negotiate the late fees, but NOT the charges for service provided. I'm not a charity and I don't take care of kids for free, feed them for free, or make myself available for free. And before you ask, no I won't be taking this child back unless she pays in full at drop off for the day.
wdmmom 09:08 AM 09-07-2011
I have $10 per day late fee, maximum of $50.

I would tell her that late fees are being incurred effective immediately, however, payment in full will waive the fees. If she still doesn't pay, I'd ask for $10 per day from the day she signs for the certified letter in court.
Tags:late fee, late fees
Reply Up