Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ouch!! My New Backbone Just Cost Me!
Sunchimes 12:17 PM 04-06-2012
This happened last week, but I'm still laughing about it. Early last week, dcm said that her sister had a Dora kitchen she was getting rid of and if I wanted it, I could have it. Well, yes, of course I want it.

Forward to Friday. DCD is off and having a garage sale. DCM brought the kids and said that she didn't get called in to work but was going to help with the sale until about 1. That's fine, the day was paid for already. About 1, she called to say that hubby wanted them to go to the movies that afternoon (the nearest movie is 35 miles away) and they would be here to pick up at 4. Again, fine-their 9 hours didn't end until 5 and I can understand them wanting to do at least one fun thing together while he's on vacation. At 6 I texted them and she said they were heading home-about 15 miles away. I said that was fine but I wanted to remind them of the $5 per 15 minute fee for over 9 hours. Stunned silence... then she said they would take care of it when they got here. Yea for backbone!!

She had overpaid me on Monday, forgetting that one of the kids wouldn't be here one day, and we were going to apply that $25 to next week. When she got here, I said to just give me $10 and we would call it good. I don't want to punish them, just make them think, and $30 is a lot for them. She said to just keep the $25 and we'd start fresh the next week.

Anyway, as she was leaving that night she said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, my sister gave the kitchen to someone else." I almost burst out laughing--see what a backbone does for you? Cost me a Dora kitchen for my playroom!
momofboys 12:19 PM 04-06-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
This happened last week, but I'm still laughing about it. Early last week, dcm said that her sister had a Dora kitchen she was getting rid of and if I wanted it, I could have it. Well, yes, of course I want it.

Forward to Friday. DCD is off and having a garage sale. DCM brought the kids and said that she didn't get called in to work but was going to help with the sale until about 1. That's fine, the day was paid for already. About 1, she called to say that hubby wanted them to go to the movies that afternoon (the nearest movie is 35 miles away) and they would be here to pick up at 4. Again, fine-their 9 hours didn't end until 5 and I can understand them wanting to do at least one fun thing together while he's on vacation. At 6 I texted them and she said they were heading home-about 15 miles away. I said that was fine but I wanted to remind them of the $5 per 15 minute fee for over 9 hours. Stunned silence... then she said they would take care of it when they got here. Yea for backbone!!

She had overpaid me on Monday, forgetting that one of the kids wouldn't be here one day, and we were going to apply that $25 to next week. When she got here, I said to just give me $10 and we would call it good. I don't want to punish them, just make them think, and $30 is a lot for them. She said to just keep the $25 and we'd start fresh the next week.

Anyway, as she was leaving that night she said, "Oh, I forgot to tell you, my sister gave the kitchen to someone else." I almost burst out laughing--see what a backbone does for you? Cost me a Dora kitchen for my playroom!
At least they let you keep the $25 - I would have been steamed though since they were so late. Boo about the kitchen!
Sunchimes 12:47 PM 04-06-2012
Honestly, I'd rather have had the kitchen. I can't buy one for $25. But at least they didn't argue so yea for backbones!!
WImom 12:59 PM 04-06-2012
That's too funny! Wonder if in a while she'll back track that story and offer it again once sister says she wants to kitchen gone.

Sorry, you lost out on a kitchen though.
AfterSchoolMom 02:20 PM 04-06-2012
That's petty, but kind of funny.
Sugar Magnolia 02:24 PM 04-06-2012
If all it cost you was a Dora kitchen, you did great. That backbone is far more valuable than a kitchen.
Lilbutterflie 02:53 PM 04-06-2012
When you think about it, using your backbone is priceless! It means they challenge you less and less about ANY of your policies b/c they know you stick to the rules. And this is laying the foundation for a respectful family or possibly collecting many more late fees to come! LOL

Good job!
spud912 04:10 PM 04-06-2012
That's funny because she is really punishing her child, who would have had the Dora kitchen to play with while at your house.
Sunchimes 05:09 PM 04-06-2012
I hadn't even thought about that part of it Spud! Now it's twice as funny!
MizzCheryl 05:25 PM 04-06-2012
Picking up on time is worth a lot more than a dora kitchen!
saved4always 07:18 PM 04-06-2012
If it is the same Dora kitchen that my friend has, you didn't lose much....hers is very flimsy and the kids can just pull the doors off without much effort.
DaisyMamma 03:31 AM 04-07-2012
I thought you were going to say they sold it in the tag sale.
Dora kitchens are small and flimsy. Not much loss there.
Sunchimes 04:12 AM 04-07-2012
Thanks for telling me that. I sort of suspected they might be since, you know, they are Dora. I really didn't mind losing out, I just thought it was so funny!
Tags:backbone, funny
Reply Up