Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outgrowing Naps But So Tired!
Country Kids 01:46 PM 09-18-2012
Ok I have a few that might be outgrowing naps but will still sleep some days. The sad thing is one just turned 2!

So they go the whole day with no nap and most are now staying up till bedtime. For some of these kids that is 14-15 hours with no rest. The next day they are coming in so tired they are almost dilerious. Literally can't handle anything. One has done on two days with no naps but the behavior in the afternoon and next day is not good.

We went through a bad spurt with one child last year and ended up having to use a pnp for naps and put it in another part of the house. Well I can't do that this year as the child is almost 5 and would more then likely just lay there.

Its not just 1 though its like 3. So what would you guys do about the bad behaviors the following day because they are so tired from not napping and then staying up for so long.
daycare 02:44 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Ok I have a few that might be outgrowing naps but will still sleep some days. The sad thing is one just turned 2!

So they go the whole day with no nap and most are now staying up till bedtime. For some of these kids that is 14-15 hours with no rest. The next day they are coming in so tired they are almost dilerious. Literally can't handle anything. One has done on two days with no naps but the behavior in the afternoon and next day is not good.

We went through a bad spurt with one child last year and ended up having to use a pnp for naps and put it in another part of the house. Well I can't do that this year as the child is almost 5 and would more then likely just lay there.

Its not just 1 though its like 3. So what would you guys do about the bad behaviors the following day because they are so tired from not napping and then staying up for so long.
I make all of the kids lay down. I give them 30-45min to pass out. my 4.5 year old I think is done napping, as she naps only on some days.

the days he does not, I allow him to get up and read or color quietly. If he cannot be quiet so that others can sleep he goes back to his mat.

what time are the kids waking in the AM?
I have one that gets here at 10am and becuase of that he does not sleep until after 2pm.......we get up at 3
Crazy8 03:48 PM 09-18-2012
are you making them lay down quietly (no talking, games, etc.)??? If they are that tired from not napping 2-3 days in a row and its affecting their behavior how can they keep from falling asleep the 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) day after laying there for a while???

When my kids are ready to give up naps they kind of did the every other day thing for a while. They got cranky at 7pm-ish on the days they didn't nap but it was just that transitional period.

Its hard, I know! I'm dealing with the 2 to 1 nap now, kind of the same thing but different, LOL!
My3cents 11:58 AM 09-19-2012
No matter if they sleep or not. I need a break. I need to regroup. Some days I don't get this. It makes for a very long day.

Two year old still need naps. Most 3 and 4 year old do too. Some kids just don't want to allow themselves to nap and everyone suffers from these kids. They are not fun to play with and be around.
Heidi 12:32 PM 09-19-2012
our state REQUIRES that we offer a nap to children under 5. That means, 45 minutes on a mat. If they sleep longer, great. If they don't sleep, we are supposed to offer quiet activities after the 45 minutes is up.

Most of mine sleep up to 2 1/2- 3 hours, then lay on their mat a talk/giggle/sing when they wake, eventually waking the rest of the group. After hours, I just get everyone up.
Country Kids 01:11 PM 09-19-2012
Our state requires a quiet/rest time for all ages.

I don't care if they stay up, but I'm getting nothing and I mean nothing done during naptime anymore. If I go to try and do stuff they will be up bugging the ones who are sleeping or just being loud.

Now, most of these kids are up by six if not earlier and still not sleeping for a nap! So they are getting about maybe 10 hours of sleep a day. We play hard, eat very well, take long walk and they still can't sleep.
Tags:nap
Reply Up