Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illegally Unlicensed Daycares that Advertise
craftymissbeth 03:54 PM 06-03-2013
I just recently went through the training, home updating, home inspecting, background checking, etc. to become licensed. The whole shebang. It wasn't cheap. And it was a lot of work.

Now I'm realizing just how many illegally unlicensed home daycares there are in my area. All of them are advertising they offer full time care (I'm in Kansas and you cannot watch children more than 20 hours total per week without being licensed). They ADVERTISE! Most included IN their advertisement that they are unlicensed.

I just don't get it. Is there no one doing anything about these people? I worked damn hard to get where I am... just to turn around and find out that not only am I competing against established home daycares but unlicensed SAHM's who charge the same as licensed care.

Sorry to vent... it's just SO. FRUSTRATING.

/end of rant
Patches 03:57 PM 06-03-2013
I up against the same thing except around here the SAHMs tend to charge way less than the home daycares.
It is very frustrating and drives me crazy
craftymissbeth 04:01 PM 06-03-2013
I take that back, there were two on craigslist that charge more than most of the licensed home daycares and then the rest were ridiculously cheaper. Ugh, so frustrating!
JoseyJo 04:08 PM 06-03-2013
I'm in Kansas too- my licensor told me last time she was by for an inspection that they are now going through the craigslist ads and paying visits to the unlicensed daycares

There are still a lot of them advertising, but I don't normally see the same ones for too long. Within the last month or so there have been ads on craigslist in the childcare section explaining the law and why it is important to choose a licensed daycare. Eventually maybe it will weed them out!
craftymissbeth 04:16 PM 06-03-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
I'm in Kansas too- my licensor told me last time she was by for an inspection that they are now going through the craigslist ads and paying visits to the unlicensed daycares

There are still a lot of them advertising, but I don't normally see the same ones for too long. Within the last month or so there have been ads on craigslist in the childcare section explaining the law and why it is important to choose a licensed daycare. Eventually maybe it will weed them out!
Oh thank goodness! I'm going to talk to my licensor about it too the next time I see her (which *knock on wood* won't be until March of next year). I hope they really are visiting these people... not that there's anything wrong with unlicensed daycares... it's just the fact that it's illegal, maybe, that bothers me. And that they advertise! Just openly advertising

I worked very, very hard for this and I know that this is my career and not just some random way to make a quick buck.
melilley 08:07 PM 06-03-2013
I know how you feel! I worked my butt off and spent a lot of time and money to get licensed and get my home childcare open. There are tons of unlicensed home day cares in my area and here, it's illegal to care for any unrelated children in your home for more than 4 weeks a year without being licensed. I don't think that there are enough resources for these people to be investigated and shut down.
On another note, I also think that some people honestly don't know that is illegal to care for children without a license. I wish there were some system or way to educate people on what is needed to legally care for children. One provider in my area actually put something on CL telling parents that in our state that a license in needed for providers to care for children in their homes and to make sure that the people they find for childcare are licensed and also told providers to make sure they put Licensed in their title. I don't think it worked though, there are still a ton of unlicensed providers advertising.
TomCopeland 02:51 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I just recently went through the training, home updating, home inspecting, background checking, etc. to become licensed. The whole shebang. It wasn't cheap. And it was a lot of work.

Now I'm realizing just how many illegally unlicensed home daycares there are in my area. All of them are advertising they offer full time care (I'm in Kansas and you cannot watch children more than 20 hours total per week without being licensed). They ADVERTISE! Most included IN their advertisement that they are unlicensed.

I just don't get it. Is there no one doing anything about these people? I worked damn hard to get where I am... just to turn around and find out that not only am I competing against established home daycares but unlicensed SAHM's who charge the same as licensed care.

Sorry to vent... it's just SO. FRUSTRATING.

/end of rant
I completely agree with your concern. In our area, our local family child care association and CCR&R agency approached the newspapers that were running ads from illegal providers and told them to stop accepting those ads. We successfully argued that they might be held liable if a child was injured in one of these homes. The newspaper then required providers to list their license # in their ads. I'd ask Craigslist to do the same.
Tags:illegal daycare, illegal providers
Reply Up