Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Flees and Dogs in Home Daycare
Unregistered 08:21 AM 01-15-2009
Please advice me where to complain in Maryland for daycare that have dogs in the home without informing the parents.
I sent my daughter to XX ***X *** Child Care and one day she got flee bites on all her body and we had to take her to emergency.
The child care inspectors say that pets in daycare are not a part of their jurisdiction and they cannot let the daycare have the pet in the same home.
Please advice isn’t a dog a hazard in front of a infant and are tick infected dog not a part of hygiene.
Where should this complain be sent to.
Michael 01:47 PM 01-15-2009
Contact your state's licensing agency:
https://www.daycare.com/maryland/

Child Care Licensing Agency
Maryland Department of Education
Division of Early Childhood Development
Office of Child Care
311 W. Saratoga Street, 1st Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 767-7128
Toll Free: (800) 332-6347
Fax: (410) 333-8699
Unregistered 07:15 AM 01-16-2009
Take your child out of the daycare and find another one. In this State, as a private home daycare, we are allowed to have dogs in the daycare. I let people know (obviously they see them when they come for the interview) that we have dogs. I am required to have them vaccinated and show proof of that. I also treat them for fleas and ticks as I do not want that in my house, and I am not allowed to have the dogs in the food prep area during meal prep, or in the food serving area during meals/snacks. That's it.

Of course fleas and ticks should not be in the daycare. And it's your personal opinion whether dogs are a hazard to infants. There are millions of families all over the country that do not share your opinion and have dogs around babies on a daily basis. You obviously not only have a problem with fleas and ticks, but also with dogs. So change daycares.
Unregistered 10:09 AM 01-23-2009
I have three children in this daycare and there is not a flea problem. There is a dog in the house, it is a service animal. However, the daycare portion of the house is in the basement, while the dog stays upstairs and NEVER goes into the basement. In the four years I have taken my children to this daycare, I have seen the dog twice...both times when I was invited into the main part of the house by the owner. It was not anywhere near any of the children. This daycare is very clean and the original poster is spreading lies for some reason that is unclear to me.
Unregistered 10:22 AM 01-23-2009
My child went to XX ***X *** Child Care in Maryland for nearly 4 years (up until last summer) and we never had any problems concerning fleas (or anything else for that matter). There is a dog on premises but the dog does not enter the daycare facility part of the home -- he is kept on a completely different floor of the home. The daycare is extremely clean and in the four years that my child attended, I never had any reason to be concerned about the cleanliness of the facility or the care given to my daughter by the daycare owner and employees.
tymaboy 08:23 AM 01-24-2009
May I remind people that fleas & ticks can come in on peoples clothing also. It is not just animals that carry them.
Unregistered 12:06 PM 02-11-2009
These accusations of fleas at this daycare are completely false! I have my infant and my toddler at this daycare for 6 months and cannot say enough about the cleanliness of the facility. There is one dog in the home that is not even allowed on the same floor as the daycare. No one (not even children) are allowed anywhere on the premises with shoes. The staff disinfects all toys and equipment everyday. The staff are the most caring and loving people. I am not just saying that either- I was a stay at home mom until recently that I went back to work and was very fearful of placing my children in daycare. I could not be happier with the care my children receive at XX ***X *** Day Care. The staff is excellent, the facility is excellent, and I believe this is the best place to have my children cared for.
Unregistered 06:39 AM 03-16-2009
There are many things wrong about this false accusation:

1- The pressumed victim states that the daycare has dogs (plural). THE DAYCARE DOES NOT HAVE DOGS. THERE IS A DOG IN THE HOUSE WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED TO GO TO THE DAYCARE AREA (BASEMENT)
2- The pressumed victim states that his daughter got flee bites all over her body. On another sentence he talks about a tick infected dog. SO HE CAN NOT MAKE HIS MIND, FLEES OR TICKS?. BITES FROM THESE INSECTS LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

THIS DAYCARE IS EXTREMELY CLEAN and PROFESSIONAL. If there is a problem is with this pressumed victim who is obviously trying to take advantage of good, decent and hardworking people.
Unregistered 10:34 AM 03-16-2009
I am also licensed in the state of Maryland, and yes you can have cats and dogs in the daycare, as long as they are vaccinated. When 1st starting my daycare, we had 3 cats and 2 dogs. Now we are down to one 14 year old yellow lab. She is indoor (has always been). My daycare children as well as my own children, from infant up, have always been around the dog. The dog stays in the same room with the kids most of the day. None of my parents have ever had a problem with the dog. She has never had fleas or ticks, but I have had children come in and tell me that their dogs have fleas. Fleas can come in on diaper bags, clothes, etc. Maybe this persons child got the flea bites at home or at a friends house??? I don't believe the daycare provider even has to tell you she has a dog, as long as she is meeting her states requirements on the dog. It should have been your responsibility to ask.
Unregistered 06:31 AM 04-18-2009
I lived in Maryland four four years and know many people who have sent their little ones to XX ***X *** . All of them have rave reviews of the standard of care, the cleanliness, the true joy with which their child was greeted etc. Not one of these people ever comlained of unsanitary conditions, fleas, ticks, or any other hazard...
Michael 08:50 AM 04-18-2009
We try not to censure posts and comments on the Daycare.com forum. We have done so with this post since there are conflicting opinions and believe it may be unfair to the business in question. The topic regarding pets in daycare merits keeping the thread open. We have removed the business name from where they originally appeared.
seashell 10:21 AM 04-28-2009
This child went to the hospital for a flee bite? Geeze! That says it all!
Unregistered 11:01 PM 06-01-2009
It doesn't sound like flea bites. If the cihld had it all over their body, maybe that cihld is allergic to something in that home. Maybe a type of cleaner,or something. Wouldn't the other kids be getting bit up too, ? Just wondering.
Unregistered 07:51 AM 02-08-2010
Although providers may not legally be required to disclose that they have a dog I think it IS the providers responsiblity to tell the parents before enrolling that they have a dog, if they hide it make one think what else are they hiding?

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am also licensed in the state of Maryland, and yes you can have cats and dogs in the daycare, as long as they are vaccinated. When 1st starting my daycare, we had 3 cats and 2 dogs. Now we are down to one 14 year old yellow lab. She is indoor (has always been). My daycare children as well as my own children, from infant up, have always been around the dog. The dog stays in the same room with the kids most of the day. None of my parents have ever had a problem with the dog. She has never had fleas or ticks, but I have had children come in and tell me that their dogs have fleas. Fleas can come in on diaper bags, clothes, etc. Maybe this persons child got the flea bites at home or at a friends house??? I don't believe the daycare provider even has to tell you she has a dog, as long as she is meeting her states requirements on the dog. It should have been your responsibility to ask.

Unregistered 07:52 AM 02-08-2010
Some people are allergic to fleas

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It doesn't sound like flea bites. If the cihld had it all over their body, maybe that cihld is allergic to something in that home. Maybe a type of cleaner,or something. Wouldn't the other kids be getting bit up too, ? Just wondering.

Carole's Daycare 10:48 AM 02-09-2010
I have always had pets in my home. My 100 lb German Shepherd, Atlas, has been here since I started daycare. I let people know ahead of time and they meet him during interviews. Obviously, some people are really uncomfortable and choose another daycare. We are required in MN to get them shots and not have them in the food prep area etc. We also are required to make sure litter boxes are inaccessible to children and animal excement is not in the kids play area. (Poop Scoop the yard or have them trained like mine to a specific area that is kept cleaned up.) I understand people's discomfort, since my daughter, now 17 , was attacked and bitten by a dog when she was 5. the dog was kept chained up & not properly socialized- so when Kat was brought over by the dog's family to meet him the dog lunged and bit her on the face. We made specific effort in the selection of our pet- for temperament from a reputeable breeder that guaranteed and had his temperament tested, and in our training and socializing of him. We have never had flees here, but I have friends who had small flee infestations in their pets. Apparently they noticed right away and had the pet treated and the problem was quickly resolved. It is my understanding that animals and even kids can pick them up outside and bring them in, as well as being carried in on clothing, diaper bags. If this service animal DID get fleas, which could happen to anyone, a quick trip to the groomers for a dip & bath and a treatment of the home would rectify the situation. Like catching lice or anything else, it does not necessarily mean the owners are unclean or the dog is not clean and cared for. It is unfortunate the child had a medical problem, whether from fleas or not, or from the daycare home or other place. Regardless, in my experience, parents that yell and complain the loudest are usually blaming someone else to cover for their own failings. Often the real problem is disagreements over policies or money, or defensiveness regarding discipline issues or something. Good luck to the parent- I hope you find a pet free home you are happy in. To the provider- and fellow animal parent- best of luck- if necessary take dog to groomers or vet and post a confirmation from them that the dog is pest free to protect your reputation and reassure your parents and licenser.
gbcc 09:34 AM 02-11-2010
Very well said Carole's Daycare.

I live in NY and have 2 dogs. I have been registered and am not licensed by the state. Not one state employee has ever asked me about my dogs. They did not require vaccinations or state specific areas they may/may not be. I found this odd since NY is the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to interferring with tax payers lives. That being said I think it goes to show that it really is a personal opinion on whether animals should be around children. I absolutely understand why some people are concerned regarding animals, especially dogs, being around your children. I personally feel if you trust the provider to care for your child, you should also trust her to make the appropriate decisions regarding the animals being around your child.
Tags:allergic, bites, care, child, dogs, fleas, pets, tick
Reply Up