Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!
Unregistered 09:53 AM 12-06-2017
I'm on my lunch break for now, but this has been a crazy morning.

The usual teacher for the older kids (2-4 years old) is out sick, so I've taken over that room. Right now, I have 8 kids:

DKB (C): 4-1/2 years old
DKB (N): 3-1/2 years old
DKG (E): 3-1/2 years old
DKG (S): 2 years old
DKG (R): 2 years old (as of today)
DKB (Ma): 3 years old
DKB (M): 3 years old
DKG (Mar): 2 or 3? (not exactly sure of her age; I'm guessing 2 to 2-1/2)

You know the saying "one bad apple spoils the bunch?"

I have a few kids who are being especially rough/agressive- namely "C", "M," and "S." They are all running around, throwing things, and hitting people.

Normally, behavior that like that would result in a time out. In NJ, it's perfectly legal to use time-outs in appropriate situations. I think making a four year old who is throwing blocks at his friends sit out for four minutes to calm down is perfectly appropriate.

Unfortunately, our director just deals with things with a "we don't hit, go play." So, the kids are completely out of control because they know they can get away with it.

I have tried everything I can do. I did a little circle time with the kids where we talked about ways to be healthy (covering our mouths/noses, washing our hands, eating healthy foods). We did a "Cover your sneeze please" art project. Since I can't take them outside since I have yet to be fingerprinted, I put on some music and we had a couple little dance parties- which only resulted in the 4 year old running around and encouraging one of the 3 year olds to join them in running and hitting others.

This afternoon, we're having cupcakes for a birthday party, and even though the kids are going to start leaving shortly after nap, the well-behaved ones are usually the first to leave. Then, I'll be down to the ones who aren't listening without having any "good listeners" to be used as examples.

Any suggestions? Not having consequences for actions that I can follow-through on isn't helping. (They DID lose the opportunity to play with a few toys because they were being abusive with them; I am waiting to see if we can take the big blocks, big cars, and tool bench out of time-out in the afternoon).
Michael 07:49 PM 12-06-2017
Some more threads on consequences: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=consequences
Cat Herder 02:15 AM 12-07-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Since I can't take them outside since I have yet to be fingerprinted
First, This does not sound legal. Check your regs, yourself, for your own protection. Are you being hidden inside to prevent licensing from knowing you are alone with kids? When are you going for printing?

At that age they need to be outside running, climbing and playing. A lot. That is most likely going to be the key to the classroom management issues you are facing.

Good food, good play, good sleep, good routine. There is no work around for that. This is a nice little article that may help in the meantime: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/...our-classroom/
Lissa Kristine 04:23 AM 12-07-2017
Legally, I'm not allowed to be alone with the children until I am fingerprinted. Despite that, I was sent outside alone yesterday.

When am I going to be fingerprinted? I have NO idea. I have been employed there full-time since Halloween and part-time starting in September. I have asked for my fingerprinting form so I can make an appointment, but my boss will NOT give me one.
Cat Herder 04:33 AM 12-07-2017
Here is a copy. http://www.nrcpfc.org/downloads/NJ_Form.pdf

It includes instructions on how to have it done. It is portable from job to job.

Give me a few minutes and I will find the other one.
Cat Herder 04:44 AM 12-07-2017
"For information about Child Abuse Record Information (CARI) background checks for child care centers, youth residential programs, adoptive applicants and family child care homes call the CARI Unit at the OOLat 1-877-667-9845.

For information about Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) fingerprint background checks for child care centers and youth residential programs, please call the Department of Human Services CHRI unit at 609-633-3761." http://www.nj.gov/dcf/providers/licensing/faqs/#4

https://www.njccis.com/njccis/home - This is a great place to start. It allows all your records and training to be kept in one place allowing you to change jobs and keep your certs. Otherwise you will be back to square one each time you move. It also enables you to take control of your own training and compliance. You will not be protected as an employee, you will be considered a professional and liable for compliance independently if something goes wrong. It could cost you the ability to work with children in the future.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 12-07-2017
Originally Posted by Lissa Kristine:
Legally, I'm not allowed to be alone with the children until I am fingerprinted. Despite that, I was sent outside alone yesterday.

When am I going to be fingerprinted? I have NO idea. I have been employed there full-time since Halloween and part-time starting in September. I have asked for my fingerprinting form so I can make an appointment, but my boss will NOT give me one.
I'd quit this job.

ALL of this sounds very fishy and underhanded.
I'd report this center ASAP.
Its one thing to continue asking and not being told the right rules/regs and laws but after a certain amount of time this becomes partly YOUR responsibility too.

If you know things are not legal, don't continue on....report them. Not knowing is not an excuse. Being brushed off or ignored by those in charge is sad but again at some point becomes your responsibility to address.

No water or soap in classrooms, recycled/reused cleaning bottles, staff that are NOT legally allowed to be left alone with kids, etc, etc... This center sounds like a disaster and not a place I'd ever send my child or want to work at. My advice, stop venting and complaining about the poor work conditions and get out now while you can. Report the center and directors and don't look back.

Acceptance of those things you know to not be legal or allowed is just as bad as those that are telling you to do the wrong thing.
daycarediva 10:24 AM 12-07-2017
report and quit.

I would not want to be associated in any way with this center.
Lissa Kristine 10:42 AM 12-07-2017
I am looking for something else, but I can't quit until I have another job lined up. I have bills to pay, and being out of work simply isn't an option.

My current director has one foot out the door as she's waiting for the bank to finalize the sale of the school to a new owner. I'm actually optimistic about how the new owner plans on whipping this place into shape, but with us being in such limbo, nothing is being done.

My current boss isn't stepping up when she KNOWS we are expected to have up to ten under 18 months today. She barely works 20-25 hours a week in the center, and often comes in and leaves within two hours (even though with traffic, it's an hour commute one way for her). A six hour shift exhausts her. She refuses to interview- even for temporary/substitute positions to help fill in the gaps as we don't have the staff needed to manage the number of children even on a good day when none of the staff members are out sick.

I'm applying for more jobs- after looking at the most recent state reports before applying. I am so tired of dealing with places that clearly don't care about state regulations. I've also been applying for private nanny jobs, etc.
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 12-07-2017
I know this is illegal but...
I know this is wrong but...
I know this is unacceptable but...
I know this isn't right but....
I know I should quit but....

When, not IF, but when something horrible happens in this center you WILL be the one left holding the bag.
No if's, and's or but's will save you.

As I stated above....there is a fine line between being an innocent victim (because you didn't know any better) and being a willing participant (when you DO know better).
Lissa Kristine 01:01 PM 12-07-2017
Are you prepared to pay my bills for me if I up and quit tomorrow?

I don't have the financial security to quit my job without having a backup plan in place. Right now, this job is my SOLE income- my usually babysitting clients haven't needed me as often. I come home from work, skip dinner, and stay up until well after midnight applying for jobs and sending out resumes, but nothing has come of it. Until I have another job secured, I CANNOT AFFORD to leave.

I have filled out my CARI. It's the FINGERPRINTING that I have yet to have done, and I cannot just print a universal fingerprinting form off the internet for this job. I need my employer to provide me with one that contains the appropriate information. Otherwise, I would have printed it out myself and done that already.

I think my boss thinks it's a waste of time since I was just fingerprinted for another daycare at the beginning of October, but the state says the fingerprinting isn't transferable, so I need to be fingerprinted AGAIN for a new employer.
ColorfulSunburst 03:49 PM 12-21-2017
I changed my mind
LysesKids 06:03 AM 12-22-2017
Originally Posted by Lissa Kristine:
Are you prepared to pay my bills for me if I up and quit tomorrow?

I don't have the financial security to quit my job without having a backup plan in place. Right now, this job is my SOLE income- my usually babysitting clients haven't needed me as often. I come home from work, skip dinner, and stay up until well after midnight applying for jobs and sending out resumes, but nothing has come of it. Until I have another job secured, I CANNOT AFFORD to leave.

I have filled out my CARI. It's the FINGERPRINTING that I have yet to have done, and I cannot just print a universal fingerprinting form off the internet for this job. I need my employer to provide me with one that contains the appropriate information. Otherwise, I would have printed it out myself and done that already.

I think my boss thinks it's a waste of time since I was just fingerprinted for another daycare at the beginning of October, but the state says the fingerprinting isn't transferable, so I need to be fingerprinted AGAIN for a new employer.
Are you willing to go to jail if something happens & you are the one holding the bag? I was in a similar position in 1999 as a single mom... keeping my own kids & depending on Social services until I got my childcare up and running was the better option. The daycare center I worked for got closed & fined & 2 people went to jail for abuse (which is what I turned them in for after they neglected to tell parents a provider hurt a child - it was the day I quit). They made providers work with stomach viruses in the lunch area... I mean come on, being over ratio didn't help. Bills need paying , but come on - it can back fire on you big time too if you stay
hwichlaz 11:08 AM 12-22-2017
Then report without quitting, but you ARE a mandated reporter ignoring abuses.
LysesKids 01:17 PM 12-22-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Then report without quitting, but you ARE a mandated reporter ignoring abuses.
THIS... I don't think Lissa realizes that she can face real issues for not reporting
Tags:accountability, consequences, dead horse, punishment - age appropriate
Reply Up