Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Point....
tenderhearts 08:33 AM 07-21-2010
do you let the baby fuss? I'm finding myself falling back into my old ways. It's so hard for me not to just pick her up and hold her at each fuss, I have gotten better that I don't just run over there and pick her up. I don't want that "hold me" all the time baby. I can't especially when I have another one starting in a month. Each time she starts fussing and I know she's not hungry, sleepy I'm trying to not go to her right away, but she seems like the last couple days she wants to be held more. I feel like she's too young to just cry and fuss (aug 1st she'll be 4 mo). Plus the other really annoying thing is 3 of my daycare parents do not drop off at a consistent time in the morning because of their jobs, well each morning I'm giving her a bottle we are interrupted at least once to answer the door. So at what point or age I guess do you do that? I feel "wrong" doing that. Plus Im don't know if it's that I don't like hearing them cry and fuss or if it's an instinct to just want to pick them up and nurture them if that's what they want. HELP
JenNJ 09:12 AM 07-21-2010
Are you willing to wear her? I am a big baby wearer and it makes life so much easier.
momofsix 10:01 AM 07-21-2010
I, too, am one that does not like to hear a baby fussing. She is still quite young though to just let cry, I usually aim for good self comforting skills by 6 months.
As long as you're not rushing to her every time she makes a noise, or picking her up at every little whimper she will learn. Also, with babies, it could always be something temporary like teething/gas...
it is too bad that her feedings are getting interrupted, i usually try to make sure that feeding time is a good "bonding" time too. Can she wait until all the kids arrive before eating?
tenderhearts 11:39 AM 07-21-2010
Thanks that makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who doesn't like hearing them fuss & that she's too young, I feel like I need to nurture when they fuss. I wish I could wait for her feedings, she gets here at 7:30 and she's been ready for her nap by 8:30-8:45, but my three parents come anywhere between 8:30-10 it's really frustrating, normally I don't mind but now I'm seeing that it's going to be hard. Usually someone in my family can answer the door but not that early in the summer months, sleeping in.
momma2girls 06:06 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I, too, am one that does not like to hear a baby fussing. She is still quite young though to just let cry, I usually aim for good self comforting skills by 6 months.
As long as you're not rushing to her every time she makes a noise, or picking her up at every little whimper she will learn. Also, with babies, it could always be something temporary like teething/gas...
it is too bad that her feedings are getting interrupted, i usually try to make sure that feeding time is a good "bonding" time too. Can she wait until all the kids arrive before eating?
I know there are many, I repeat many parents think that this is what we do!!! HA!!!!
sahm2three 07:42 AM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
do you let the baby fuss? I'm finding myself falling back into my old ways. It's so hard for me not to just pick her up and hold her at each fuss, I have gotten better that I don't just run over there and pick her up. I don't want that "hold me" all the time baby. I can't especially when I have another one starting in a month. Each time she starts fussing and I know she's not hungry, sleepy I'm trying to not go to her right away, but she seems like the last couple days she wants to be held more. I feel like she's too young to just cry and fuss (aug 1st she'll be 4 mo). Plus the other really annoying thing is 3 of my daycare parents do not drop off at a consistent time in the morning because of their jobs, well each morning I'm giving her a bottle we are interrupted at least once to answer the door. So at what point or age I guess do you do that? I feel "wrong" doing that. Plus Im don't know if it's that I don't like hearing them cry and fuss or if it's an instinct to just want to pick them up and nurture them if that's what they want. HELP
Do you swaddle? I have found swaddling to be a HUGE sanity saver! I would agree with baby wearing too, as I did it with my own kids, but think this might get hairy with dc. Plus, I always had itsy bitsy babies, but I have a HUGE dc baby boy who is 27 pounds and not quite 7 months old! HUGE! Wearing size 18 month to 24 month clothes! Huge. He likes to be held a lot too, but I just can't carry him around all day. What about using white noise too? Or music? But honestly, I think if you swaddled her nice and tight she would do well. Then just rub her belly and shush her (baby shush, not "shush be quiet" shush). Good luck!
tenderhearts 07:50 AM 07-22-2010
Thanks, I don't think I could "wear" a baby during daycare, that would be too hard, at least for me. She is swaddled at nap times, I think it's still trying to find a routine & schedule with her, which is hard because it seems to change a little daily. I need to figure something with lunch time, almost each day she seems to get fussy right at that time or half way through. She definetly likes to be held though and again I'm fine and love holding her and it's so easy for me to do and want to do BUT I don't want a "clingy" child later. Thanks for all your help
QualiTcare 07:29 PM 07-22-2010
have u tried lying her on the floor with a lot of toys - like the things that go above them and have things hanging like mirrors? i don't think it's ever too early to let them start self soothing if you KNOW nothing is wrong with them.

i didn't hold my kids much unless they weren't crying or they were hurt or sick.

they were pretty easy babies cus they learned really fast that crying didn't work. they are 4 and 6 and pretty much don't need me anymore
Tags:fussy
Reply Up