Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paci vs Sleep Issues
Unregistered 11:29 AM 01-10-2012
I have a 9 mo dck who has had every nap issue imaginable since first coming to dc at 2mo. She finally sleeps 2 naps a day in a pnp here after months of hard effort. SO, what do I do with the paci? She sleeps for 20 min wakes up screaming, put paci back in and she goes right back to sleep, 20-40 min and she is awake screaming again. If i let her get up she is mad b/c she is tired but im not going in there every few min. Lots of you say you wean them off the paci but how? CIO? other ideas?
Ariana 12:09 PM 01-10-2012
Most kids can get their own paci at 9 months can't they? I'd get a few and toss them all around the pnp and she'll find them on her own.
youretooloud 12:17 PM 01-10-2012
I ignore it, and let the child find her own pacifier and put it back in her own mouth.

Eventually, having you come in every time she wakes up becomes a habit, and not a need...so, let her cry for a while.
mismatchedsocks 12:29 PM 01-10-2012
http://www.stlukes-stl.com/services/...p/pacifier.pdf

Check out this page. It gives some tips on pacifiers.
Heidi 12:54 PM 01-10-2012
My oldest was done with the pacifier at 9 months, by about 4 months he was a pro at finding it himself. I just "sprinkled" a liberal helping in the crib with him. Usually 3 or 4..lol

I would have let him have it longer, but he got a cold, and couldn't use it very well. Being a first time mom, I thought...yeah!

Yeah right, getting him off the bottle was a week long fiasco! My other 3 got rid of bottle at 11-12 months, THEN the pacifier at close to two. By that time, they only had the pacifier in bed, no where else.
kidkair 12:58 PM 01-10-2012
At 9 mo with her screaming for it I would just let her keep it. I would give her time to find it herself but would give it to her hand if she wasn't finding it. I'd also keep it to just nap times. I wean kids off when they no longer use it to stay asleep.
familyschoolcare 03:25 PM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Mos tkids can get their own paci at 9 months can't they? I'd get a few and toss them all around the pnp and she'll find them on her own.
This is what I would do and did for my own daughter when she was a baby she whent to bed at night with about 20 paci in her crib, it meant she did not wake me up in the middle of the night. I did have to play fetch the pacis in the mrning as they would be under the crib and between the mattress and the crib railings.
Unregistered 10:20 AM 01-11-2012
So this child can not or will not get the paci in her mouth on her own. She isnt even rolling over consistently yet. Rolls to belly but not back to her back. Mom is terribly lazy in trying to get her to do anything. She literally lays with her arms out straight like a log. She doesnt have any motivation to grab toys so she wont grab paci either. I think I am going to start limiting the number of times I put paci in mouth until I wean down to none. Maybe by then she will do it herself.
Tags:nap issues, pacifier, sleep - solutions
Reply Up