Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Napping
blessed mom 01:22 PM 10-29-2013
I have six kids today. Three won't nap. Why? Parents have had schedule changes and so they let their kids sleep in. This is so hard for the other kids that NEED to sleep and it's also hard on the ones that can't fall asleep. It's not fun to lay down quietly while others are napping. I get it, you want to sleep in but this really makes the afternoon rough for everyone. Not sure if there is anything I can do. Has anyone ever asked parents to not let their kids sleep in? Seems wrong but...this is not fun for anyone either.
cara041083 01:58 PM 10-29-2013
When I had kids, they all had to lay down for at for nap time. If they didn't nap, then they still had to rest on there mat for quit time. I even had one kid show up at 11sh and I explained to mom that even though she let her son sleep til 10, he still had to have quit time at the same time every day or he could not come until after nap/rest time. So I would just stay firm on it. If you let them get up on one day then the next is going to be even worse. If they don't nap and stop the kids from napping I would separate them (just for that one day) Or I put on an edu video and that is the only tv time I allow all day, and then discuss it with the parents what the rules are. Plus if your like me I need the break and rest just as much as they do lol.
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by blessed mom:
Has anyone ever asked parents to not let their kids sleep in? Seems wrong but...this is not fun for anyone either.
I do. Part of being prepared for daycare means being able to adhere to the normal daily schedule here.

I have often times told parents that I love that they take a little extra time in the mornings to spend with their child (thus a late drop off) but they still have to make sure that with that later drop off comes the knowledge that the child must still be able to mesh into our day as normal.

So if they are disruptive during quiet time, I will call the parent and have them come pick up. ONE child will never be allowed to disrupt the entire groups schedule.

If I were you, I'd send a note home with parents that if they are going to have a late drop off, kids are still expected to participate FULLY in rest/quiet/nap time without causing distress to anyone else.

I'd just tell the parents but I know a lot of providers prefer to send e-mails/texts etc.
blessed mom 02:09 PM 10-29-2013
I also require them to nap or rest. I also have a mom drop off at 11:30 and the child is ready to play but it's nap time. Mom knows...doesn't seem concerned. Child is bored. She will stay on her mat but rolls and rolls and is just bored. I tried laying with her but that hasn't helped. All three were up today in the other room but still keeping the three trying to nap awake. It was crazy! Finally one went down an hour later and the other two are still awake. I might have let the other two up now except that the one child just fell asleep. Ugh.

Do you think it's reasonable to ask parents to not let their kids sleep in or better to just let things be what they are making sure parents know the kids aren't sleeping but must rest? This is what we are doing now, it's fine but it would be better if they all napped. A lot less cranky in the afternoon too.
blessed mom 02:14 PM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do. Part of being prepared for daycare means being able to adhere to the normal daily schedule here.

I have often times told parents that I love that they take a little extra time in the mornings to spend with their child (thus a late drop off) but they still have to make sure that with that later drop off comes the knowledge that the child must still be able to mesh into our day as normal.

So if they are disruptive during quiet time, I will call the parent and have them come pick up. ONE child will never be allowed to disrupt the entire groups schedule.

If I were you, I'd send a note home with parents that if they are going to have a late drop off, kids are still expected to participate FULLY in rest/quiet/nap time without causing distress to anyone else.

I'd just tell the parents but I know a lot of providers prefer to send e-mails/texts etc.
The kids that were up today all have parents who work and can't just come get them unfortunately. So far the two that stayed up finally did quiet down but ya...bored. Hmm...maybe I will give them some books to read. I have talked to parents but I think they just want to sleep and they say that the kids woke up early but I have my doubts.
Blackcat31 02:18 PM 10-29-2013
The kids that were up today all have parents who work and can't just come get them unfortunately. So far the two that stayed up finally did quiet down but ya...bored. Hmm...maybe I will give them some books to read. I have talked to parents but I think they just want to sleep and they say that the kids woke up early but I have my doubts.
All my DCP's work too but heck if I am going to be the one (while I work) to suck up the slack because they let their child sleep in.

I'd still call them anyways... if it inconveniences them to have to leave work and come pick up their child, then maybe they will stop letting them sleep in....kwim?
blessed mom 02:20 PM 10-29-2013
All my DCP's work too but heck if I am going to be the one (while I work) to suck up the slack because they let their child sleep in.

I'd still call them anyways... if it inconveniences them to have to leave work and come pick up their child, then maybe they will stop letting them sleep in....kwim?
Ya I agree. It's rough...these two in particular are single moms and work an hour or more away depending on traffic. I know that's not my problem but...I guess I'm trying to be flexible. :/
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 10-29-2013
TOTALLY understand and support being as flexible as you are able to be!

But never at the expense of others and right now, it seems that because one or two kids sleep in, you and the rest of the kids are the ones suffering.

The two single moms get to sleep in and be refreshed and renewed but you get to deal with the fall out while YOU work.

Doesn't really seem fair to me...

I would try to talk to the moms and see if there isn't a way to work this out by compromising. Maybe not sleeping in so late or only doing it one or two times a week.....

Either way I am sure that a little communication would help and together you all can find a way to make everyone happy.
blessed mom 02:29 PM 10-29-2013
TOTALLY understand and support being as flexible as you are able to be!

But never at the expense of others and right now, it seems that because one or two kids sleep in, you and the rest of the kids are the ones suffering.

The two single moms get to sleep in and be refreshed and renewed but you get to deal with the fall out while YOU work.

Doesn't really seem fair to me...

I would try to talk to the moms and see if there isn't a way to work this out by compromising. Maybe not sleeping in so late or only doing it one or two times a week.....

Either way I am sure that a little communication would help and together you all can find a way to make everyone happy.
Yep exactly not really fair. I want to sleep in! I get up at five every morning! LOL!

You're right though...I need to talk to the parents and see if we can compromise. I just didn't want to overstep boundaries and at the same time help all the kids who are here every day.
blessed mom 02:31 PM 10-29-2013
Yep exactly not really fair. I want to sleep in! I get up at five every morning! LOL!

You're right though...I need to talk to the parents and see if we can compromise. I just didn't want to overstep boundaries and at the same time help all the kids who are here every day.
One mom swears she get's her daughter up early....but I have my doubts on that one. I may just need to lay the picture out a little better for her so she understands. Something has to change here.
Tags:disruptive napping, late drop offs, nap issues, non-nappers, sleeping in
Reply Up