Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>False Advertising of Accreditation
ConcernedDad 08:41 AM 03-17-2016
My 3 year old is starting preschool in September. We signed up at a prestigious private center and we had to pay a "non-refundable" deposit. Honestly, we we're not thrilled about the place but we just found out that their so heavily touted NAEYC accreditation (is on their website) is not valid, so not only we have big concerns about their practices but also their honesty. Any advice to help us get our deposit back? Thanks.
Snowmom 09:32 AM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by ConcernedDad:
My 3 year old is starting preschool in September. We signed up at a prestigious private center and we had to pay a "non-refundable" deposit. Honestly, we we're not thrilled about the place but we just found out that their so heavily touted NAEYC accreditation (is on their website) is not valid, so not only we have big concerns about their practices but also their honesty. Any advice to help us get our deposit back? Thanks.

Without knowing the contents of your contract, I can only offer some pretty general advice.
If your enrollment decision was based on the fact that they are NAEYC accredited, then I would speak to the director of the school about your options and be very honest (but calm) about what you expect and the reasons why.
I would also contact the NAEYC directly to inquire about the preschool. It could be a mistake and the school is accredited.
Either way, your first course should always be to discuss your enrollment concerns directly with the school.
Thriftylady 09:38 AM 03-17-2016
I agree I would talk to the director. Perhaps there has been a mistake and they do have the accreditation. I do wonder why you paid the deposit if you weren't thrilled about the place. I also charge a non-refundable deposit and tell people to not pay that until they are sure.
Blackcat31 09:41 AM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Without knowing the contents of your contract, I can only offer some pretty general advice.
If your enrollment decision was based on the fact that they are NAEYC accredited, then I would speak to the director of the school about your options and be very honest (but calm) about what you expect and the reasons why.
I would also contact the NAEYC directly to inquire about the preschool. It could be a mistake and the school is accredited.
Either way, your first course should always be to discuss your enrollment concerns directly with the school.
this.

If they intentionally advertised something they know is untrue then you are entitled to your money back.

You shouldn't have to pay for something you are not getting or that the provider/program is incapable of providing.
ConcernedDad 10:20 AM 03-17-2016
Our enrollment decision was not based on the fact that they are NAEYC accredited, in fact, we enrolled him on another program that is not NAEYC accredited but we consider far superior in terms of staff, facilities, and program overall. We found out about the accreditation because we overheard that they might not be able to renew it on time, so we called NAEYC and indeed found out they are no longer accredited.

The reason we signed up the contract and deposit is because we were forced to do so within weeks of their assignment lottery and preschools in Boston tend to have long waiting lists.
MunchkinWrangler 10:24 AM 03-17-2016
That's too bad. Sometimes accreditations can lapse if the proper forms aren't turned in on time and it can take time to renew. This could very well be the issue. I honestly would go more about my feeling of the staff and environment than some letters on the wall. It's just like expecting a licensed provider to have a degree. That piece of paper doesn't necessarily mean you are better than one who doesn't have it.
Thriftylady 10:29 AM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
That's too bad. Sometimes accreditations can lapse if the proper forms aren't turned in on time and it can take time to renew. This could very well be the issue. I honestly would go more about my feeling of the staff and environment than some letters on the wall. It's just like expecting a licensed provider to have a degree. That piece of paper doesn't necessarily mean you are better than one who doesn't have it.
I agree with this, it sounds like it has lapsed, meaning they are working on getting it worked out. If this is the case, I wouldn't worry about it as much as if they were flat out lying. Especially over something I "overheard". Perhaps you heard wrong. I would do as I suggested earlier and take my concerns to the director.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:54 AM 03-17-2016
I think you might try approaching the director with your concerns and see if they just voluntarily return your deposit. They probably wouldn't want a bad review to leak the fact that the accreditation is bogus.

If that doesn't work, I might be inclined to call the accreditation source and find out what recourse you have.
NeedaVaca 10:54 AM 03-17-2016
Our enrollment decision was not based on the fact that they are NAEYC accredited, in fact, we enrolled him on another program that is not NAEYC accredited but we consider far superior in terms of staff, facilities, and program overall. We found out about the accreditation because we overheard that they might not be able to renew it on time, so we called NAEYC and indeed found out they are no longer accredited.

The reason we signed up the contract and deposit is because we were forced to do so within weeks of their assignment lottery and preschools in Boston tend to have long waiting lists.
So because of wait lists/lottery you signed up even though you liked other places better? Now you have your son enrolled in a better place but you are thinking you can use the lapse of accreditation a way to get out of the contract?
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 03-17-2016
Allowing your accreditation to lapse is not really acceptable as you are given PLENTY of time to get it done.

Normally, I would agree with your statement about the piece of paper not necessarily meaning anything but not in this case. If you've never been accredited or gone through the process you have no idea what that piece of paper really means.

Accreditation IS something a provider/program has to DEMONSTRATE. It's not something that is applied for or earned via a training or college course. It's PROVING that you/your program operates at or above what is considered best practice.

A license would be something I would totally agree is not necessarily proof you/your program is better than the next but accreditation (especially through the NAEYC) is not something given freely without working your butt off to get it.
MunchkinWrangler 11:16 AM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Allowing your accreditation to lapse is not really acceptable as you are given PLENTY of time to get it done.

Normally, I would agree with your statement about the piece of paper not necessarily meaning anything but not in this case. If you've never been accredited or gone through the process you have no idea what that piece of paper really means.

Accreditation IS something a provider/program has to DEMONSTRATE. It's not something that is applied for or earned via a training or college course. It's PROVING that you/your program operates at or above what is considered best practice.

A license would be something I would totally agree is not necessarily proof you/your program is better than the next but accreditation (especially through the NAEYC) is not something given freely without working your butt off to get it.
I get it but even OP said that they felt better about the place that didn't have it. So, to me that speaks volumes. I do understand that these things matter and are worked hard for but to be honest, having my little licensed rinky dink family child care home is looked down upon because of a huge center that has more resources(money) to offer some of the overblown things that people want nowadays but yet you find them in the news taping kids to chairs, having them stand outside in below zero temps for a timeout, and like some of my clients have stated, has the feel of a baby factory with staff that doesn't get paid enough to care. I'm just in that mood I guess, where I need to fill my last 2 spots and I have people who aren't interested anymore because even my very worked hard for license doesn't matter. So, yes I'm working towards a degree....in a different field.

So letters on the wall or not, what matters are the people who run the center and work there and if they are really contributing to quality care for all the children.
ConcernedDad 11:52 AM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
So because of wait lists/lottery you signed up even though you liked other places better?
At the time I signed up, I had no better place, but now I do and I want to get out

Now you have your son enrolled in a better place but you are thinking you can use the lapse of accreditation a way to get out of the contract?
I hope I don't reach this point and resolve this matter civilly, there's plenty of time for them to make up my deposit and fill the vacancy, and yes, this is can be considered a cheap argument on my part to threaten them cuz I am not the illogical parent that will whine, scream and make an scene and yell about getting lawyers involved. I leave that role to my wife, she plays it really well.

I'm sure getting this certification was not small feat but letting it expire shows me that they either don't care anymore, they are busy and have other priorities, or are simply irresponsible. This place might have been a beacon of early childhood education at some point and they put the effort to show it and get it certified, but it is clear that this person is no longer there or this place no longer deserves the reputation that comes with the certification.

My point being, No argument is good enough for keeping it up on their website and touting about it during our visit, specially when they knew it was expired or about to. either way I didn't feel good about this place to begin with and was forced to give up money 6 months ahead of time, now I'm in a better position and looking for a way out.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 03-17-2016
I get it but even OP said that they felt better about the place that didn't have it. So, to me that speaks volumes. I do understand that these things matter and are worked hard for but to be honest, having my little licensed rinky dink family child care home is looked down upon because of a huge center that has more resources(money) to offer some of the overblown things that people want nowadays but yet you find them in the news taping kids to chairs, having them stand outside in below zero temps for a timeout, and like some of my clients have stated, has the feel of a baby factory with staff that doesn't get paid enough to care. I'm just in that mood I guess, where I need to fill my last 2 spots and I have people who aren't interested anymore because even my very worked hard for license doesn't matter. So, yes I'm working towards a degree....in a different field.

So letters on the wall or not, what matters are the people who run the center and work there and if they are really contributing to quality care for all the children.
I wasn't commenting on the OPs specific situation.

Parents need to choose whatever program they feel most comfortable with or which ever option works for them.

My comments were in regards to accreditation and the process/commitment/hard work it takes to get.
I didn't want anyone who has worked that hard to feel discredited for their efforts.

....the way you said you feel when prospective clients don't see the value in your license
ConcernedDad 12:20 PM 03-17-2016
I do understand that these things matter and are worked hard for but to be honest, having my little licensed rinky dink family child care home is looked down upon because of a huge center that has more resources(money) to offer some of the overblown things that people want nowadays ...(edited out for brevity)... So letters on the wall or not, what matters are the people who run the center and work there and if they are really contributing to quality care for all the children.
People matter and, for better or worse, those papers are there to certify that the work done by these people follow some kind of good practice. I know nothing about (enter whatever field you want here), but the more papers you can show me you've done your work, the more I will believe in your qualities and professionalism in the field.

MunchkinWrangler, I'd like to think that I'm still a good parent by choosing a wrinkly dinky place over a high falutin place, I trust my good nose for finding great people to work with and I hope I'm not wrong. But that took time and a lot of leg work hence why we put blind trust on those papers on the wall. If this is your calling, you make no error by getting one of those too.
Unregistered 04:09 PM 03-17-2016
While I can see your point, it goes against everything that our society is taught to believe. I mean, I'm not going to go to a "surgeon" on the corner who never went to med school. His experience can't really trump education...
I know for a fact that I have gotten clients who are more interested in my 10 years experience and Masters degree than the woman down the street with 25 years experience and some ECE's. She still remains open though, so there are obviously people who don't weigh the value of a degree. But it is all relative and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I would choose the educated and experienced individual vs. the experienced one in almost every scenario, especially when it comes to my children.
Thriftylady 04:44 PM 03-17-2016
At the time I signed up, I had no better place, but now I do and I want to get out
This sentence alone makes me wonder if you are grasping at straws because you think you found a better place and want out. IF they lied to you, that is wrong and you should get a refund. But as a provider we have all heard to many times after years of care "oh I don't like your policies so I am going to say you broke the rules unless you let me out of my contract". Maybe I am wrong but it sounds like this is what you are doing. If you didn't like the place you shouldn't have signed. I call BS on you had to make a decision six months ahead of time. There is no need to put down a deposit that far ahead of time unless you really like a place and want to hold a spot. But that isn't what you are claiming here. Sorry, but I am skeptical of your situation.
LysesKids 07:11 PM 03-17-2016
People matter and, for better or worse, those papers are there to certify that the work done by these people follow some kind of good practice. I know nothing about (enter whatever field you want here), but the more papers you can show me you've done your work, the more I will believe in your qualities and professionalism in the field.

MunchkinWrangler, I'd like to think that I'm still a good parent by choosing a wrinkly dinky place over a high falutin place, I trust my good nose for finding great people to work with and I hope I'm not wrong. But that took time and a lot of leg work hence why we put blind trust on those papers on the wall. If this is your calling, you make no error by getting one of those too.
Let me tell you, educational experience can't always match life experience; My background is legal (yes, I have a degree); a lot of it in abuse & criminal law... No way can I afford to get accredited for advanced degrees, however many people do pick me because of values & how I actually raise children, because not only have I raised 3 children (all 3 had a special needs), but an abused stepson... many years of it as of it as a widowed, mom plus I took time to get extra experience in certain subjects/classes concerning children and I make sure they eat healthy, organic meals... some of my style is old school, however I guarantee that babies leaving here will have all the love, care & nutrition I can give so they can go onto a preschool; bilingual at that... if the state can do background checks on me & clear me for special needs infants/foster care, that says a lot compared to taking extra classes & tests for national certs as far as I'm concerned (I only care for babes/toddlers under 24 months)
MunchkinWrangler 07:14 PM 03-17-2016

Well, in my honest opinion, I am doing this because I chose to stay at home with my child and wanted to get my degree in something else. But, the difference is I still got another piece of paper, to be a legit business, because I was hoping I'd gain some respect. Because of my personal qualms with putting my child in daycare because I just don't have trust in other people, I figured, because I am a person of integrity, good morals, and blew my licensing workbooks out of the water, so much so that some of the knowledge that I knew will be added to future reference for other providers to be questioned by, because I am a researcher and natural learner, I figured I could carry that over to providing a safe, clean, and fun environment that also taught children life lessons and knowledge they would need for school while I 'got my life together.' Up until a few months ago I was going to do this for a living until I retired but now, and I have awesome clients don't get me wrong, I'm a little over it because I'm a realist and some stuff is pish posh and hocus pocus in my opinion so I'm going into a field that will build my strengths and where I can be more real. I truly wish you the best of luck in your decision.
LysesKids 07:25 PM 03-17-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
This sentence alone makes me wonder if you are grasping at straws because you think you found a better place and want out. IF they lied to you, that is wrong and you should get a refund. But as a provider we have all heard to many times after years of care "oh I don't like your policies so I am going to say you broke the rules unless you let me out of my contract". Maybe I am wrong but it sounds like this is what you are doing. If you didn't like the place you shouldn't have signed. I call BS on you had to make a decision six months ahead of time. There is no need to put down a deposit that far ahead of time unless you really like a place and want to hold a spot. But that isn't what you are claiming here. Sorry, but I am skeptical of your situation.
I agree with this, but then I never take deposits this far out... too many variables as far as I'm concerned; I understand wanting infant care (my specialty), but even I won't take a deposit so far in advance; OP would have been paying full month fees by 6 months to hold a spot here
racemom 05:12 AM 03-18-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agee. I feel he also is looking for a way to get his deposit back so he can enroll somewhere else.
ConcernedDad 08:58 AM 03-18-2016
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone who contributed in this thread.

I wrote to the Daycare director and was honest and upfront about my situation. I did say I found a different place that suited us better in what we were looking for. I did however say that letting the certification expire, became a very strong concern and that triggered a new preschool search for our son. Subtle, but clear.

Without any pushbacks, she agreed to refund us.

Again, we are six months away from starting the preschool and there's a waiting list, so I'm sure this will not turn into a loss for her.

Thank you everyone. As a first timer in this forum, this was a great experience and it was great to bounce off my issue and get so many different opinions, thank you all for your feedback and I'm sure this won't be the last time I'm here.
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 03-18-2016
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone who contributed in this thread.

I wrote to the Daycare director and was honest and upfront about my situation. I did say I found a different place that suited us better in what we were looking for. I did however say that letting the certification expire, became a very strong concern and that triggered a new preschool search for our son. Subtle, but clear.

Without any pushbacks, she agreed to refund us.

Again, we are six months away from starting the preschool and there's a waiting list, so I'm sure this will not turn into a loss for her.

Thank you everyone. As a first timer in this forum, this was a great experience and it was great to bounce off my issue and get so many different opinions, thank you all for your feedback and I'm sure this won't be the last time I'm here.
Glad you were able to find a resolution that worked for both parties.
daycarediva 11:36 AM 03-18-2016
So because of wait lists/lottery you signed up even though you liked other places better? Now you have your son enrolled in a better place but you are thinking you can use the lapse of accreditation a way to get out of the contract?
I feel like he found somewhere he liked better and fished around until he found an out where he could be refunded. The way the original post was worded compared to subsequent posts was definitely different.

OP- next time do not sign a contract for a non refundable deposit without being certain you want to fulfill your end of the agreement.
MunchkinWrangler 12:09 PM 03-18-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I feel like he found somewhere he liked better and fished around until he found an out where he could be refunded. The way the original post was worded compared to subsequent posts was definitely different.

OP- next time do not sign a contract for a non refundable deposit without being certain you want to fulfill your end of the agreement.
And that it is what I mean by pish posh and hocus pocus. Most of the time, I really don't believe anyone truly cares about any of this stuff. Most people enjoy putting on a show for others. And this is another way, my child goes to blah blah blah, and crunchy granola this and clothes are made from paper that. I know it sounds rude, it just gets to be too much sometimes. I don't think there are a lot of genuine people out there, they pay for the letters but would never do the same things at home to better their child's future by themselves. Public superiority strokes the ego big time.
Tags:accreditation, false advertising, illegally unlicensed
Reply Up