Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Imitating Another Child
Britt507 02:28 PM 09-18-2019
We have a child in our center that whines and still acts younger than he is (i.e., calls everything 'wee', doesn't talk, points, and cries). And we are working with him but we have an older child who never did that, is all of the sudden doing the same things to get the attention the other child is.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to stop this?
CeriBear 06:25 AM 09-19-2019
How old is this child?
CountryRoads 06:30 AM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Britt507:
We have a child in our center that whines and still acts younger than he is (i.e., calls everything 'wee', doesn't talk, points, and cries). And we are working with him but we have an older child who never did that, is all of the sudden doing the same things to get the attention the other child is.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to stop this?
My first thought is to try ignoring it. Maybe once he doesn't get the attention he is seeking, he will stop.
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 09-19-2019
I'd probably evaluate my behavior to see if, in fact, I am giving the other child (A) more attention for his negative behavior than I am giving to this child (B) for his positive behavior.

I don't always get it right. Sometimes I watch my tapes to get another view of my actions. Self-evaluation is helpful.

I held my hand over my mouth way too much last week, this week many of the kids are doing it and I can't understand half of what they are saying. It was becoming a habit I was unaware of. I have been rearranging the playroom and considering new layouts. Apparently, when I am in deep thought or reading I now do this. So am working to stop it (huge flu season risk, ack!!). Kids are great barometers and parrots of behavior.
Annalee 10:33 AM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd probably evaluate my behavior to see if, in fact, I am giving the other child (A) more attention for his negative behavior than I am giving to this child (B) for his positive behavior.

I don't always get it right. Sometimes I watch my tapes to get another view of my actions. Self-evaluation is helpful.

I held my hand over my mouth way too much last week, this week many of the kids are doing it and I can't understand half of what they are saying. It was becoming a habit I was unaware of. I have been rearranging the playroom and considering new layouts. Apparently, when I am in deep thought or reading I now do this. So am working to stop it (huge flu season risk, ack!!). Kids are great barometers and parrots of behavior.
That is so funny!

When we do exercises or dancing with music, I find they do what I do, even if I scratch my arm or face. Almost like "follow the leader". I have lots of fun with this behavior on some days.
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
That is so funny!

When we do exercises or dancing with music, I find they do what I do, even if I scratch my arm or face. Almost like "follow the leader". I have lots of fun with this behavior on some days.
I have resorted to putting vicks on top of my right hand, today. I keep catching myself. Just like the photo.

They pick up on everything.
Attached: hand over mouth (500 x 333).jpg (33.8 KB) 
Britt507 12:02 PM 09-19-2019
It is my co-worker's son. It is not bothering me but she asked me to post it on here. She does not like it because she had her son in speech therapy when he was 18 months old till he was just a little over 2 to get him to talk. And he has reverted because child A is doing it.

I don't think Child A is getting more attention than her son is. They both get the same amount of attention that I can see.
Annalee 12:35 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have resorted to putting vicks on top of my right hand, today. I keep catching myself. Just like the photo.

They pick up on everything.

Cat Herder 12:43 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Britt507:
It is my co-worker's son. It is not bothering me but she asked me to post it on here. She does not like it because she had her son in speech therapy when he was 18 months old till he was just a little over 2 to get him to talk. And he has reverted because child A is doing it.

I don't think Child A is getting more attention than her son is. They both get the same amount of attention that I can see.
Got it. There is a certain set of known behaviors associated with employee children. It is unusual for owners to allow employees to work in the same room with their own child for this reason. Time and consistency are the only known solutions, IME.
AmyKidsCo 01:25 PM 09-19-2019
Can you make a big deal of when he talks like a big boy? I have an almost 4 yr old who still talks baby talk: shoesies, sockies, huggies, _______ies, etc. I just say "I don't have any _____ies" here and he repeats the word without the "ies"
knoxmomof2 07:25 AM 09-20-2019
I would just correct him / ask him for different behavior. "If you need something, I need to hear big boy words or else I can't help you"/ "Uh oh! You're a big boy, but I don't hear big boy words right now..." / "I know you can ask for that, you're so smart! So, what do we say?"
Tags:attention seeking behavior, child, crying, engagement seeking, imitating, modeling - actions, own child, own child seeking attention, parrot, providers own child, providers own children, whine
Reply Up