Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Military Discount
MrsB 08:01 AM 02-16-2012
Let me preface by saying, I live in an area where we have alot of military families living. We are also a military family.

So recently I have noticed alot of providers in my area giving military discounts on childcare.

Yesterday I had a call where a lady asked about my discounts. (I only give discounts on siblings) She went on to tell me that most of the providers in my area offer this military discount, and go on and on about the struggles of being a military family, and what a sacrafice it is to the whole family, and a community needs to support these families. Blah, blah, blah.

I totally agree with most of what she said, and I am the first one to be excited when local stores offer a discount to military, but I dont feel like I am "entitled" to xtra discounts because my husband serves in the military.

I was so caught off guard that I didnt really say what I wanted to, I did tell her that I was a military family too and that a working family is a working family no matter the job and I charge by the amount of hours you need care not the parents job.

She set up an interview, but I really got the feeling that she was the type that might try to "negotiate" everything. I really want to call her back and say more and cancel the interview.

Any thoughts or ideas on the issue or what I should say? Do you have military discounts? Should I just call her and tell her I filled the spots and leave it at that?
familyschoolcare 08:06 AM 02-16-2012
Is there somthing smallish you could offer her. Such as 1/2 of a reg. fee. It might make her feel better. Howeve, the fact that she still made an interview shows that the price was probably not that far of a stretch for them.
Springdaze 08:07 AM 02-16-2012
I agree with you. I grew up in a military family, so I know kinda what its like. I agree that a working family is a working family, regardless. Maybe you could offer a free night of sitting when the husband somes home if deployed but I wouldnt give a discount as a standard.
TBird 08:38 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
I agree with you. I grew up in a military family, so I know kinda what its like. I agree that a working family is a working family, regardless. Maybe you could offer a free night of sitting when the husband somes home if deployed but I wouldnt give a discount as a standard.
I agree...a nice gift when mom or dad come home from a tour is appropriate. A 'Date Night' sounds GREAT!!!
KEG123 08:44 AM 02-16-2012
Hehe, Mark up your regular rate from 125 to 150 and be like "Oh yeah, I offer a $25 a week discount" Ha!

But seriously, sorry, don't do discounts for military here.
pappyny 08:47 AM 02-16-2012
I am a military provider. I provider care on the base though, where as is sounds like you are off base. I can tell you that any base I've been at the providers on base do not offer a military discount. We are all in the same "boat" so to speak.
It is great when businesses choose to give a military discount. I can say it has helped us out many a times. But for people to expect a discount at all places is ridiculous, especially in child care from another military family!

The fact that she still chose to interview with you, as others have said, must mena that your rates are managable for them. I personally would not offer a discounted rate.
familyschoolcare 08:49 AM 02-16-2012
Another thing you could do is tell the parent that your military discount is a provider that understand the difficulties of being a military family.

Also, maybe she asked out of "habit" and gave her little speach as her way of educating the world to the sistuation. We too are military family and I ask about a military discount all the time and have even said to one place you should your biggest competion does. However, I left at that did not follow up with a spech as to why.
itlw8 08:51 AM 02-16-2012
I tell parents I offer NO discounts Why because that money has to come from somewhere. To offer them a discount I have to raise everyones rates.

I would rather keep my rate lower for everyone.
lovelife 09:14 AM 02-16-2012
My dh is in the military and I do childcare in my home on the base. We go off of the same rates that are in the local town. I do not give anyone a discount, as someone stated about we are all in the same boat. When I go to town and get a MIL discount I look at is as the town supports what we do. I would not give her a discount but like others said offering a date night after deployments would be the best gift ever if you ask me.
MrsB 09:36 AM 02-16-2012
thanks everyone for the comments. I like the idea of giving them a "date" night, but its really a non issue now.

The lady just called me back and asked if I would be willing to accept payment on the 1 and 15th of the month. I said yes, that the monthly rate is the weekly rate of ___ multiplied by 4.33 weeks. So she would pay half of that monthly rate on the first and half on the 15th. She argued that it should be multiplied by 4 not 4.33 because their are 4 weeks in a month. I said then if that was the case then over a years worth of time I would get shorted 4 weeks of pay per month. (4 times 12 is 48 weeks a year not 52) I also explained to her that I am a military family and understand all the sacrafices that come with it. I added that I dont offer a discount but my rates are still competative with those that offer the discount. I also dont require a admin or registration fee. She got fuming mad and said I was trying to cheat her out of more money by charging a monthly rate of 4.33 weeks and canceled the interview.

So glad that is over with. I am not offended in the least that she asked for the discount and stated that other providers do offer it. But the way she went on and on and made it sound like I was running a scam really made me mad!
Breezy 09:55 AM 02-16-2012
No discount but I do prefer military familys. We are a military family as well and I feel like there is more accountability if we are in the same boat. And the schedules usually work great with our family.
Crazy8 09:58 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
thanks everyone for the comments. I like the idea of giving them a "date" night, but its really a non issue now.

The lady just called me back and asked if I would be willing to accept payment on the 1 and 15th of the month. I said yes, that the monthly rate is the weekly rate of ___ multiplied by 4.33 weeks. So she would pay half of that monthly rate on the first and half on the 15th. She argued that it should be multiplied by 4 not 4.33 because their are 4 weeks in a month. I said then if that was the case then over a years worth of time I would get shorted 4 weeks of pay per month. (4 times 12 is 48 weeks a year not 52) I also explained to her that I am a military family and understand all the sacrafices that come with it. I added that I dont offer a discount but my rates are still competative with those that offer the discount. I also dont require a admin or registration fee. She got fuming mad and said I was trying to cheat her out of more money by charging a monthly rate of 4.33 weeks and canceled the interview.

So glad that is over with. I am not offended in the least that she asked for the discount and stated that other providers do offer it. But the way she went on and on and made it sound like I was running a scam really made me mad!
Better off without her - can't believe anyone really believes there is only 4 weeks in EVERY month of the year. And actually, as I was just recently considering possibly going to monthly rates even that 4.33 jips you out of a few dollars a year - it really should be 4.3333. So there's her discount!!
MrsB 10:00 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
And actually, as I was just recently considering possibly going to monthly rates even that 4.33 jips you out of a few dollars a year - it really should be 4.3333. So there's her discount!!
hahahaha!
bice99 10:25 AM 02-16-2012
I charge families monthly. Sometimes they do think 4 weeks equals a month, so here's how I break it down.

weekly rate of $x.00 x 52 weeks in a year = tuition for the year

divide that by 12 months to get the monthly rate

I know it ends up being basically the same as your 4.33, but sometimes parents have to have it spelled out for them.
Little planet 11:32 AM 02-16-2012
I know a program that gives discounts to military families. Depending on the Income of the family, they pay a percentage of childcare.
Check out this page:

http://www.naccrra.org/military-families
wdmmom 11:46 AM 02-16-2012
I do not offer a military discount. I offer an early departure discount. You pick up early each day, I don't charge you as much as I would for a kid that's here later.

I offer 10% off for a sibling discount. Parents get mad at me when I tell them that. Sorry but just because you have 2 or 10 kids does not entitle a discount. I provide equal if not higher care so I should be paid the same for 1 kid as for 2, or 5.

I also offer a monthly pay discount.

That's it. NO MORE DISCOUNTS.

I'll reiterate what a wise childcare provider always told me. Just because you made a baby doesn't mean you are entitled to a discount.
Countrygal 11:52 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Little planet:
I know a program that gives discounts to military families. Depending on the Income of the family, they pay a percentage of childcare.
Check out this page:

http://www.naccrra.org/military-families
That's what I was going to say. There are gov't organizations that offer help to military families for daycare. As long as the daycare is with a Certified or Licensed provider. My main family is military and she has been looking into it.

I offer a small discount to anyone who pays in advance by the month. The discount is per child, so if they have two or three children, they get two or three times the discount. It isn't a whole lot, but it adds up. It comes up to almost 15 cents an hour per child. It's worked good for me. It's a win-win situation.
saved4always 12:02 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:

Sounds like you dodged what could have been a very irritating dcp that can only see things from her own point of view. I am glad that you found out what she is like before you went through the trouble of interviewing with her!
wdmmom 12:11 PM 02-16-2012
Sounds like another case of ENTITLED PARENT SYNDROME!
Cat Herder 12:13 PM 02-16-2012
Further proof that a wedding ring can't instill honor, morality or pride.

I do offer military discounts...but NOBODY has ever asked me for one.

It is something I give because it makes me feel good (my husband served 8 years and is out, now). It really isn't based on need.
Tags:discount, military
Reply Up