Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand and Food Print Crafts
Baby Beluga 08:40 AM 10-26-2015
How old do you think is too old for these type of crafts?
daycare 08:47 AM 10-26-2015
im over 40 and I still do them...lol
daycare 08:48 AM 10-26-2015
I let the kids make the decision. I have some that hate paint on their hands or feet and for those ones we trace and let them color them in.

MOst of my dcks LOVE to do anything that is messy. even my 8yr old DS
daycarediva 11:24 AM 10-26-2015
I call them parent pleaser crafts and see them as a waste of their time.... but I do 1 on each holiday for the parent's fridge. The kids have always loved them- even my own 7yo does asks to do them when he sees what the littles have done.
sahm1225 12:04 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I call them parent pleaser crafts and see them as a waste of their time.... but I do 1 on each holiday for the parent's fridge. The kids have always loved them- even my own 7yo does asks to do them when he sees what the littles have done.
You crack me up! 'Parent pleaser' crafts, haven't heard that before.

I actually love handprint & footprint crafts. I actually have 3 big frames in my house that i use to hang up my kids handprint/footprint art. I typically change it by the season. My oldest is 8 and I've kept all of them (I started 3 years ago). It's amazing to see how much their hands and feet grow.

I agree with Daycare and I don't force them to do it. My SAs don't care for the handprint ones but they love to do the footprint ones and are always fascinated to what I turn it into.
Baby Beluga 12:25 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This is so true. I will say that all of my kids LOVE having their hands and feet painted and I also do them around the holidays. I was thinking of doing a foot print Frankenstein today but then over though the whole thing.
Controlled Chaos 12:40 PM 10-26-2015
They are definitely parent pleasers, but I don't mind occasionally pleasing parents especially since the children always enjoy it too. I probably do one hand/foot print activity a month. I have noticed that foot print stuff for children over 3yo looks awkward big to me. So, I try to stick to handprint projects except for the babies. Though, I do an "iceskating" paint activity usually in Jan where I put out long lengths of butcher paper and let the children skate across the paper with paint on their feet. But that's experiential rather than print-centric.
Play Care 12:55 PM 10-26-2015
Usually 2 - 2 1/2 I switch to hands only. And I stop all hand/foot prints once they go to K. I just recall a few years ago making something and having an older SA boy doing his hand print and it just looked so awkward

I think once they get older there are other, more innovative ways to show how big they are
Tags:crafts
Reply Up