Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Young Infant Sleep Help
Melissalyn 07:37 AM 10-28-2015
I have a 7 week old infant who started a week ago. She is a pretty calm baby, and I don't have many complaints..but I need help with some sleep strategies. I have her in a portable crib with a bassinet insert, and due to her Moro reflex, she is constantly startling herself awake. I'm not allowed to swaddle without a Dr's note, which mom is going to get. .but in the mean time, any advice on getting her to sleep better? And how long is too long to let her cry? I also have a very active 10 month old, so there's time I just can't hold her!
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Melissalyn:
I have a 7 week old infant who started a week ago. She is a pretty calm baby, and I don't have many complaints..but I need help with some sleep strategies. I have her in a portable crib with a bassinet insert, and due to her Moro reflex, she is constantly startling herself awake. I'm not allowed to swaddle without a Dr's note, which mom is going to get. .but in the mean time, any advice on getting her to sleep better? And how long is too long to let her cry? I also have a very active 10 month old, so there's time I just can't hold her!
What state are you in?

As for the Dr's note for swaddling....the mom should be able to obtain that within a day or two at most.

How is mom getting her to sleep at home?
Unregistered 12:19 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What state are you in?

As for the Dr's note for swaddling....the mom should be able to obtain that within a day or two at most.

How is mom getting her to sleep at home?

At 7 weeks of age, you can't do cry it out at all. They have no ability to self soothe. I would consider baby wearing while you are waiting for the doctor's note.
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
At 7 weeks of age, you can't do cry it out at all. They have no ability to self soothe. I would consider baby wearing while you are waiting for the doctor's note.
I didn't recommend using cry it out.
Unregistered 12:52 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I didn't recommend using cry it out.

Sorry to confuse you. Melissalyn included asking how long is too long to let her cry. Letting her cry for more than a minute or so at that age without starting to intervene is too long. I didn't mean to imply that you suggested CIO.
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sorry to confuse you. Melissalyn included asking how long is too long to let her cry. Letting her cry for more than a minute or so at that age without starting to intervene is too long. I didn't mean to imply that you suggested CIO.
No worries... you just quoted me so I thought you were responding to something I said.

I did reread the OP's post and see she did ask that.
Melissalyn 02:55 PM 10-28-2015
I definitely don't let her cry it out, but there has been times she's cried for longer than a minute because I'm changing a diaper or getting some food prepped for the 10 month old. I feel bad because we never let my daughter cry it out as it was just not our style, but I didn't know if anyone had any solutions as to how to avoid the crying if possible when there's an older baby (soon to be 2 older babies)..I guess I shouldnt have come off like I'm trying to so CIO cause I'm definitely not! Mom breastfeeds and has said she cosleeps but is putting her in her bassinet more, but swaddling. I'm in FL, but I'm a military provider so their rules state I can't swaddle without a Dr's note. She said she's going to get the note at her 2 month appt in a week or so, so there is a solution coming up, but I feel bad that I can't hold her that much since I have an older baby..She'll sleep for hours in my arms! I guess I'm more curious as to how others manage mobile vs non mobile infants.. per military rules we aren't allowed to use swings, mamaroos, jumper seats or bumbos.
Francine 04:06 AM 10-29-2015
I definitely don't let her cry it out, but there has been times she's cried for longer than a minute because I'm changing a diaper or getting some food prepped for the 10 month old. I feel bad because we never let my daughter cry it out as it was just not our style, but I didn't know if anyone had any solutions as to how to avoid the crying if possible when there's an older baby (soon to be 2 older babies)..I guess I shouldnt have come off like I'm trying to so CIO cause I'm definitely not! Mom breastfeeds and has said she cosleeps but is putting her in her bassinet more, but swaddling. I'm in FL, but I'm a military provider so their rules state I can't swaddle without a Dr's note. She said she's going to get the note at her 2 month appt in a week or so, so there is a solution coming up, but I feel bad that I can't hold her that much since I have an older baby..She'll sleep for hours in my arms! I guess I'm more curious as to how others manage mobile vs non mobile infants.. per military rules we aren't allowed to use swings, mamaroos, jumper seats or bumbos.
I would think that she could call the Docs office and ask for a note, knowing that Mom uses one at home I wouldn't think the Doc would have a problem with it. Waiting a week or so for her scheduled appointment is ridiculous, why put the baby and you through that???
Play Care 05:57 AM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Francine:
I would think that she could call the Docs office and ask for a note, knowing that Mom uses one at home I wouldn't think the Doc would have a problem with it. Waiting a week or so for her scheduled appointment is ridiculous, why put the baby and you through that???
This.

"DCM, I need a note *today* or I won't be able to have baby in care until the note is in my files."

But, at the end of the day you can only do the best you can. I no longer allow myself to feel badly because a child in my care has to wait because I'm busy with another child, etc. I'm not ignoring them watching soaps and eating bon bons. I'm actively caring for *all* the kids in my care. If, as in your case, it's something that can be solved easily I would put my foot down. But otherwise, I'm not making it my problem. If it becomes a problem I'll put it on the parent or term care.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:49 AM 10-29-2015
I would get the doc note asap. It is not fair to make you wait till the next appt to get it. Call her today and say that you need her to go get the note today or you cannot watch dcg till she gets it. Is she nursing to sleep? Does baby sleep at all when laid down?
Melissalyn 04:55 PM 10-29-2015
The longest I've gotten her to sleep in the pack n play is about 25 minutes. Today I actually had my cdh director, monitor and 3 prospective providers in my home on a tour and I had to hold her almost the whole time. The 10 month old is my own daughter and is thankfully very independent, so it's not horrible..BUT I have abother baby starting in a few weeks so I NEED to get this baby out of my arms. I will stress about getting the Dr note asap. Another question, what do you do with little ones when playing, doing activities with the older babies?
mommyneedsadayoff 06:43 AM 10-30-2015
The longest I've gotten her to sleep in the pack n play is about 25 minutes. Today I actually had my cdh director, monitor and 3 prospective providers in my home on a tour and I had to hold her almost the whole time. The 10 month old is my own daughter and is thankfully very independent, so it's not horrible..BUT I have abother baby starting in a few weeks so I NEED to get this baby out of my arms. I will stress about getting the Dr note asap. Another question, what do you do with little ones when playing, doing activities with the older babies?
I lay them next to me on the floor, do tummy time, sit them in the bouncy chair so they can see everyone. Just don't leave them there without you right next to them. Not sure what other ages you have, but it is a good time to teach the toddlers space from the baby. They don't get to touch baby or hover or be right next to baby. I teach them how to talk to baby, but give her breathing room. Hopefully if you get the note and can swaddle, it will help. I know others really like sleep slacks and not sure if those help with the moro reflex, but it may be worth a try if your licensing allows it. I have always been a swaddler, so that would be my first thing to try if you can get a note.
Tags:cio, cry it out, infant sleep, sleep issues
Reply Up