Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Drive Me Nuts...
lmdc 04:39 AM 03-19-2010
so just need to vent...

my dcb's parents told me at pick up yesterday that he would only be here until 1030am today because he had a dr's appt. i only watch one other little boy full time during the week, and since his mom has off today anyway, i called her to see if she wouldn't mind keeping him home today, with me refunding the money for the day (she still brings him 1/2 days some times even on her days off, so by doing it this way i could guarantee that he wouldn't come and not feel bad about closing) my mom and sister had come up last night for a long weekend, so i was excited at having the afternoon off with them, and went ahead and made plans.

well, mom drops the dcb off this am, and i make some comment about a long weekend for everyone, and she says, "oh no, i'll be bringing him back..." what?? she specifically said yesterday that he would only be here until 1030am...never said anything about bringing him back, etc. so now he's going to come back tired and hungry and cranky, way off schedule after his appt, and i have to cancel my plans with my family...so annoyed...plus, now i'm out $27 since i asked the other little boy's mom to keep him home (which turns out she was planning to day anyway, but since i requested it i still feel it's fair to give her the refund.) dcb's mom could tell i was a little annoyed and after she asked if i'd made plans she just said "oh" and left. aarrrgggnn!
momma2girls 05:03 AM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by lmdc:
so just need to vent...

my dcb's parents told me at pick up yesterday that he would only be here until 1030am today because he had a dr's appt. i only watch one other little boy full time during the week, and since his mom has off today anyway, i called her to see if she wouldn't mind keeping him home today, with me refunding the money for the day (she still brings him 1/2 days some times even on her days off, so by doing it this way i could guarantee that he wouldn't come and not feel bad about closing) my mom and sister had come up last night for a long weekend, so i was excited at having the afternoon off with them, and went ahead and made plans.

well, mom drops the dcb off this am, and i make some comment about a long weekend for everyone, and she says, "oh no, i'll be bringing him back..." what?? she specifically said yesterday that he would only be here until 1030am...never said anything about bringing him back, etc. so now he's going to come back tired and hungry and cranky, way off schedule after his appt, and i have to cancel my plans with my family...so annoyed...plus, now i'm out $27 since i asked the other little boy's mom to keep him home (which turns out she was planning to day anyway, but since i requested it i still feel it's fair to give her the refund.) dcb's mom could tell i was a little annoyed and after she asked if i'd made plans she just said "oh" and left. aarrrgggnn!
I would tell her, I am sorry, but I made plans already when you told me he was going to be picked early!!! So rude of parents!!! We are not a 24 hr. walmart, come and go when you want, etc......
lmdc 05:28 AM 03-19-2010
thanks for the validation...a part of me feels like i should have thought to clarfy that he wouldn't be coming back afterwards (and believe me, from now i will) but she was very specific when she said he will only be here until 1030am...he had a very rough day yesterday as i think he's starting to get sick (he's only 15 months old) and her comment was that tomorrow will be an easy day because he will only be here until 1030am because of his dr appt... i thought that was pretty clear...but anyway, now i'm just trying to move on, lesson learned, and not let their rudeness completely ruin my (and my family's) day. they can ruin our plans, but they don't have to ruin our fun, right?
originalkat 06:31 AM 03-19-2010
OH MAN!!!! That would make me so mad. You are right, you should have clarified with her just to make sure. I have done the same thing though...they made it sound like they wouldnt be back so I just assumed. I dont do that anymore!!
Crystal 06:51 AM 03-19-2010
What's the DR. appt. for? If it's shots, I'd tell her he needs to stay home. Of course, I'd tell her she couldn't change the schedule without 24 hour notice anyway, so she'd have to keep him. (unless I had other kids in care, then I'd let him stay)
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:55 AM 03-19-2010
Ugg!! I would be so upset...yes we are providers and have operating hours, BUT serisously, we need a life too from time to time and when she said the child would only be there until 10:30, I wouldn't assume the child would be back either!! I would be hot!
Unregistered 07:39 AM 03-19-2010
I have it in my policies that only one drop off and pick up per day! AND that if dcp tells me they will be gone they cannot drop off later, if he's cranky and being a pill call her shortly after she drops off and tell her to come get him, as for me i would have stood firm this morning and when she said she was bringing him back i would have told her sorry but after YOU told me he wouldnt be here after 10:30 i arranged to not have other dck and made plans with my family from out of town! Also i make dcp give me anything like that in writing even if i jot it down when they tell me and have them sign it so they cant say they said something else.
momofsix 07:39 AM 03-19-2010
Too bad you DID get it clarified this morning, it would have served her right to come to drop him back off and you be gone alreay!
AfterSchoolMom 07:41 AM 03-19-2010
I'd totally call her back and tell her you've had something come up and that he can't come back today.
booroo 07:46 AM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I'd totally call her back and tell her you've had something come up and that he can't come back today.
I would do the same thing. Like at right after she leaves.
Or I would call her and tell her that it was clear to you that the boy would not be back after 1030, if he is coming back, then I would tack on an inconvience fee or something. I would ahve made it completely clear that I had plans!!!
momma2girls 07:54 AM 03-19-2010
Yes, I totally agree, tell her at drop off, I made plans with family!!!
MarinaVanessa 08:03 AM 03-19-2010
Sounds to me that she did imply that dcb wouldn't be back after his appt. But parents sometimes tell me one thing and I make plans like special activities with other kids that I wouldn't normally do or something and then they'd show up and the child off anyway. Even after asking them about how they had already said that dc little wouldn't be back they'd just say something like (oh, well something came up). Ugh, you mean more like (Oh well I decided to change my plans and not tell you about it).

People are right. Parent's just assume that because we have hours and scheduled times with them that they can show up even after canceling or changing it around without asking first lol. If a parent did that to me I'd just say (oh. Well you had said that he'd be here until 10:30am so I filled his spot this afternoon with a drop-in. I just don't have any room) .
lmdc 11:42 AM 03-19-2010
so the mom called after the appt saying that, one, dcb had an ear infection, and two, the dad was going to keep him the rest of the afternoon...during a pretty uncomfortable conversation, mom made sure she was clear that the reason he was staying home was because, "even though we both DO have to go to work, you know" she had noticed that i was irritated this morning and didn't want any problems so dad was just going to go into work on saturday now instead...trying to make me feel like a heel (which she succeeded, i might add) i told her that while i had been slightly irritated, it wasn't a big deal and i didn't expect them to switch their work schedules around...to which she responded again by saying that they didn't want to cause any problems, although she couldn't understand how i thought he wasn't coming back since she hadn't specifically said he wasn't...so now i feel like a heel, even though i still believe i'm justified in thinking he wasn't coming back. oh well, i guess. as soon as my daughter wakes up from her nap, we're back on to part 2 of our fun filled afternoon with family...i guess i'll deal with the rest of this again monday morning...
momofboys 11:56 AM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by lmdc:
so the mom called after the appt saying that, one, dcb had an ear infection, and two, the dad was going to keep him the rest of the afternoon...during a pretty uncomfortable conversation, mom made sure she was clear that the reason he was staying home was because, "even though we both DO have to go to work, you know" she had noticed that i was irritated this morning and didn't want any problems so dad was just going to go into work on saturday now instead...trying to make me feel like a heel (which she succeeded, i might add) i told her that while i had been slightly irritated, it wasn't a big deal and i didn't expect them to switch their work schedules around...to which she responded again by saying that they didn't want to cause any problems, although she couldn't understand how i thought he wasn't coming back since she hadn't specifically said he wasn't...so now i feel like a heel, even though i still believe i'm justified in thinking he wasn't coming back. oh well, i guess. as soon as my daughter wakes up from her nap, we're back on to part 2 of our fun filled afternoon with family...i guess i'll deal with the rest of this again monday morning...
But the true issue is mom did say he would only be here until 10:30 am so how else were you supposed to think? Did you ever ask why she said that?
lmdc 06:19 PM 03-19-2010
mom stated she didn't remember exactly what she said...how convenient, right? =)
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:40 PM 03-20-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have it in my policies that only one drop off and pick up per day! AND that if dcp tells me they will be gone they cannot drop off later, if he's cranky and being a pill call her shortly after she drops off and tell her to come get him, as for me i would have stood firm this morning and when she said she was bringing him back i would have told her sorry but after YOU told me he wouldnt be here after 10:30 i arranged to not have other dck and made plans with my family from out of town! Also i make dcp give me anything like that in writing even if i jot it down when they tell me and have them sign it so they cant say they said something else.
That's a good idea! It seems that it's becoming more and more important these days to have parents sign anything and everything for any changes whatsoever. If they try to argue, you can just point out where they signed. If they try to start trouble for your daycare, you'll have the signed paper to back you up!
Tags:policies, refund
Reply Up