Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Fair? (Partial Vent, Advice Needed Also)
AfterSchoolMom 02:20 PM 10-29-2010
I know I've been doing a lot of complaining lately - but this really made me mad today, and it is so great to be able to bring these situations to people who have been there and done that.

My contract (which ALL of my parents agreed to and signed) states that I don't charge for days that I am closed. However, if I am scheduled to be open, and the parent chooses not to bring their child, the regular rate applies.

My SA's have two days off of school next week. I'm closed for one and open for the other. I'm not charging for the closed day, but I expect payment for the day that I am open. I also charge an added "full day" fee, but I don't charge it if the child isn't here - they just pay the regular rate.

Family 1 let me know that their children were not going to be here on the day that I am open. Fine with me. Fast forward to today (payment day) and the parent is giving me attitude and doesn't want to pay for the day that I'm open because the children aren't going to be here. They were so rude about it that I got flustered and angry (something that I try not to do) and just took the money for 3 days, pretty much telling them to pay and get out (without actually saying those words, but my attitude implied it).

Now, my question is, do you think my policy is unfair? I still don't understand how it is my problem if they decide not to send their children on a day that I'm open for care. This same parent has never given me any trouble with paying when days are missed due to illness - I don't see how this is any different, really.

I can't decide whether to address this further next week. The two options that I'm considering at this point are either A) Printing off a copy of the signed agreement and highlighting the payment section, without saying much more about it - straight and to the point, or B) Just foregoing the money, but telling the family that if they don't want to pay for days that I am open, then they no longer have the option to send their children on teacher work days or holidays when I am open for the full day.

Thoughts?
ranch_chick 03:07 PM 10-29-2010
I think you're right. I charge my full-time families a flat rate per month and if they have a sick day or even holidays, they have to pay for that day. I have my families pay up front for the month so that helps. You need your income to be steady and it's not fair for them to be nickel and diming you. Bottom line is by signing the contract, they agreed to everything in it - if your contract says the kids participate in daily bare knuckle boxing matches and they sign it, then too bad for them!
marniewon 03:27 PM 10-29-2010
Like the pp said, it's in your contract, they signed it, they should pay it. As for what to do....how about both? Print out your signed contract, highlight what you want them to see, and their signatures, and attach a note to it saying what you were thinking of telling them.
DCMomOf3 04:04 PM 10-29-2010
I have the same policy and have never been questioned about it before. If you were trying to charge the full day rate and they weren't there, then I could see the attitude, but not for the regular rate.
missnikki 04:47 PM 10-29-2010
I suppose I would tell them at the very next drop off that you have taken the liberty of highlighting the section in your contract that outlines the question from Friday, and that even though they did not pay for that day, you will waive a late payment fee as a courtesy. Then hand them an invoice with a balance due (for the one missed day) with a line item "Late Payment Fee, X dollars" And another line item, "fee waived- courtesy". Put it on paper for them, let them see on an invoice that you did them a favor by not charging extra for trying to hose you.
Parents tend to stop arguing once it is in black and white, KWIM?
Lilbutterflie 07:45 AM 10-30-2010
Your policy is NOT unfair... this is your business and you have to have consistent income. Just because they decide not to bring the child on your open day should NOT mean you get less income that week. The parents are paying for the spot as well as the care. Present or not, they need to pay. I have the same policy. To my understanding, and all other daycares I have personally dealt with, this is a STANDARD policy among home daycares and daycare centers.
Do exactly what you mentioned... hand them a copy of the contract with the policy highlighted along with an invoice stating what they owe for that day. To make it clear that you do NOT appreciate them trying to hose you, you could add a line on the invoice for your late fee (maybe divided by 5 to show the late fee for one day's payment). Then put "Waived, ONE time only". Let them know if they try to do this again, you will be charging a late fee for incomplete payments.
Lilbutterflie 07:47 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I suppose I would tell them at the very next drop off that you have taken the liberty of highlighting the section in your contract that outlines the question from Friday, and that even though they did not pay for that day, you will waive a late payment fee as a courtesy. Then hand them an invoice with a balance due (for the one missed day) with a line item "Late Payment Fee, X dollars" And another line item, "fee waived- courtesy". Put it on paper for them, let them see on an invoice that you did them a favor by not charging extra for trying to hose you.
Parents tend to stop arguing once it is in black and white, KWIM?
LOL! Sorry I said the same thing! I have a habit of responding before I see the previous posts!
Lucy 05:58 PM 10-30-2010
I do monthly tuition normally, but I have only one kid who comes anywhere from 2 to 5 days a week, so they pay weekly. On the last day the kid is here that week, I hand them a little slip of paper that has spaces that say "child's name______" , "week of______" , then below that it says "Monday_________" , "Tuesday________" , etc. -- each on a different line. On each day's line, I put the daily amount for that day, then below is a space for "Total due _______". The paper is handed to them as soon as they come in on the last day the kid is here for the week, and Dad writes the check, then lets me know what days the boy will be here next week. He knows that if he commits to (for example) Mon, Thurs & Fri but is not here Monday, you bet that daily charge will show up on the slip on Friday.

I know this situation is a tad different than yours, but my point is that you could hand them a "bill", so to speak, and that makes it more concrete. I would walk away and make myself look busy so that I don't open it up to questions.
Tags:charging, days off, missed days, vent
Reply Up