Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Charge Or Not To Charge?
Ariana 09:44 AM 07-12-2011
My DCM informs me that her kid will be going to ballet camp in 2 weeks. Do I still charge her for the days she's at camp or not? She didn't give me much notice and I wasn't anticipating her being away.

My contract only deals with vacations not camps!

TIA
familyschoolcare 09:52 AM 07-12-2011
does your contract actually say vacation. depending on the wording it would be easy to say it is the same thing.

FYI: my contract says "A 4 week written notice is required for a non-attendance with non-payment time."
PeanutsGalore 09:54 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My DCM informs me that her kid will be going to ballet camp in 2 weeks. Do I still charge her for the days she's at camp or not? She didn't give me much notice and I wasn't anticipating her being away.

My contract only deals with vacations not camps!

TIA
What's the difference between taking time off for vacation and taking time off for camp? I don't see one, really. I think the goal of a contract that allows parents vacation time is so that they learn to be courteous when taking unpaid time off since the provider needs to work that unpaid time off into his/her own budget.

Unless she's using vaca time for going to camp, I'd charge her. If you don't, then I'd rewrite your contract to allow parents to take more than two weeks off during the year since that is, essentially, what she will be doing.
cheerfuldom 09:58 AM 07-12-2011
ask her if she wants to use her unpaid vacation time for this camp issue or not. You need more info from mom!
Ariana 10:01 AM 07-12-2011
The difference is that only one kid is going to camp and her other kid will be here with me so it's not as if they're going on "vacation". I can see it as being similar but I'm not sure she'll consider it that way since it's not a vacation.

My contract states that when I take vacay, there is no charge. When they take vacay they pay. This is why I'm unsure of what to do!
TBird 10:10 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My contract states that when I take vacay, there is no charge. When they take vacay they pay. This is why I'm unsure of what to do!
My contract states the same. I don't charge for my vacation (because I feel that they'll need to pay an alternate provider) but they pay for their vacations, sick days, etc. to RESERVE THEIR SPOT. As long as I'm OPEN....they pay.

Same with camp...IMHO.
jojosmommy 10:10 AM 07-12-2011
Charge them. For me it doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing, unless you want to use your allotted family time off you are on the hook for paying. Otherwise next time she goes over to a friends house or gma keeps her overnight mom will expect that she doesn't have to pay you and you lose income unnecessarily.
Ariana 10:14 AM 07-12-2011
Thanks! This is how I was thinking as well. I'm still here and able to work so she should pay is how I thought about it but wanted to get other opinions as well and what the 'norm' was!!

Thanks again
wdmmom 10:38 AM 07-12-2011
I charge 50% for vacations with a 2 week notice.

If she's giving you notice, you have to do what you stated in your contract. Vacation and camp/non-attendance/etc. are all the same.

I only allow 4 weeks per calendar year. If they will be gone more than this, they must pay full price.
Tags:charging, days off, discount, vacation policy
Reply Up