Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If Only I Had $500...
SilverSabre25 05:20 AM 04-15-2011
I would TOTALLY buy this thing in a HEARTBEAT!

I'm contemplating asking my BIL if he could build me one...
DCMom 05:29 AM 04-15-2011
I love that thing ~ I think it will be my next BIG purchase. By then I hope to find one used on craigslist, lol.
momofsix 06:34 AM 04-15-2011
I could not handle that with daycare kids. Heart Attack every time they played on it for sure. I KNOW they would try to have more than one on the platform, and I can already see the boys pushing each other from at the top I would not survive a day with it
My Daycare 06:39 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I could not handle that with daycare kids. Heart Attack every time they played on it for sure. I KNOW they would try to have more than one on the platform, and I can already see the boys pushing each other from at the top I would not survive a day with it
Me too
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would TOTALLY buy this thing in a HEARTBEAT!

I'm contemplating asking my BIL if he could build me one...
Oh, wow! We just discussed this the other day because we got a grant for toy purchases and it is between that climber or this :

http://www.domeclimber.com/index.php
Childminder 06:47 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I have one boy that constantly is jumping from the top of everything. He went to the park and jumped from the top of the tallest slide, 10-12 feet up, this would be a molehill to him. Btw he broke his leg when he jumped off the slide.
melskids 07:25 AM 04-15-2011
im actually gonna be brave, and build something similar out of bales of hay.

i'm not sure how long it will last, between the kids pulling it apart, and the weather, but even if it only lasts one summer, it will still be kinda cool.

this is the FIRST weekend i can actually get out there and do yard work. our snow has FINALLY melted!!!
sahm1225 07:54 AM 04-15-2011
Hi, not sure where you live, but if you check Chicago Craigslist they usually have a few of those listed for sale... Might be worth the drive if the price is right for you!
SunflowerMama 08:12 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, wow! We just discussed this the other day because we got a grant for toy purchases and it is between that climber or this :

I've been thinking about the dome climber too. Probably going to get it in the next few weeks. Thinking about the 5ft by 10ft one or the one one size down.
SilverSabre25 08:23 AM 04-15-2011
sahm1225--unfortunately I live about 8-10 hours away from Chicago. I checked our local craigslist but no dice. Oh well!

that dome climber looks pretty cool though...and the smaller ones are pretty affordable. I might consider that, too. I want a climby thing to make me feel better about getting rid of the swingset.
DCMom 08:29 AM 04-15-2011

I forgot about those ~ that would actually be a much better purchase when I think about it. More affordable and really open ended; now I think I have changed my mind!
GretasLittleFriends 09:08 AM 04-15-2011

My cousin had one of these growing up. I'm not sure how big it was because I was little, but we spent more than our fair share of hours climbing and hanging from one of those. I loved going to her house, mostly just to play outside. Winter or summer we'd play.
MN Day Mom 10:06 AM 04-15-2011
I have a dome climber... not this brand but it is a super fun toy. I have a tarp that I purchased with mine to make it enclosed for a new type of play. I wouldn't recommend one much taller than 4' because that can be a pretty big drop otherwise when the kids are hanging upside down or fall through...

But they are a lot of fun!!!!
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 04-15-2011
We just ditched our monkey bars and I want something for them to climb on and was considering the Step 2 climbing mountain thing too but found this dome climber and feel like it is really a safer option that has multiple uses.

I never thought of putting a tarp or cover on it...that would change it and make it super fun too. I like how you can buy the size that is appropriate for your space and the ages you care for.

I also have fond memories of one we had in my elementary school...
daycare 01:00 PM 04-15-2011
Ditto.... Love it but I would freak out all the time
Symphony 08:16 PM 04-16-2011
Those dome climbers look great! I love all the sizing options. Here we can't have anything over 4 feet that isn't placed on 12in of rubber or wood mulch, so that climber would cost me too much. The domes though I could totally get one of the smaller ones!
Abigail 08:57 PM 04-16-2011
Notice how nice the climbers look on grass.....they're obviously for display because how'd you mow under it?! LOL

I wouldn't mind the smaller dome, maybe second-to-smallest but nothing five feet high. That is too high. The other thing is would you as an adult fit through the bars if the child refused to come out when it's time to go inside or go home? Another thing to consider.

I use to climb on the dome at a big city park, but I remember how concerned my dad was always nearby, but I'm sure it was larger dome like 8 feet or so. Not that I'm afraid of heights, but I was still only 5 or 6 I bet thinking most daycare kids are younger I would stay under 5 feet in height.

It sure is a wonderful different-than-most kind of toy! Thanks for sharing it! I have nothing against the Step 2 climber, but I like finding things unique that would draw a family into my care and have the children fall in love with something they may never get the chance to do or use while in another person's care. Kwim?
Tags:climbers, outdoor equipment
Reply Up