Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Do???
laundrymom 12:01 PM 10-12-2011
4 1/2 yr old climbs on my lap this morning, looks at me with big brown eyes full of tears and says,.... My daddy moved to a partment. He took his jeans and jacket and his shampoo. Mommy shutted the door hard and cried. Then he buried his head in my chest and sobbed. For the longest time.

I told him not to worry, that I was here, that mom and dad both love him so much and that won't stop. My heart is broken for him.
Christian Mother 12:14 PM 10-12-2011
Ohhh!!! That is sooo sad. Poor little guy...kids are soooo observant aren't they?! The only thing you can do is just be there for the little guy in what ever form he needs you. As for his parents, I know it's hard to stay out of the situation specially if they feel very close to you and want to down load. Best to just let them both know together your thinking of them and know that there little guy is in the best of hands while they go through there tough times. How heart breaking!
Cat Herder 12:20 PM 10-12-2011
Did the DCM not give you a heads up
Meyou 12:20 PM 10-12-2011
Just love him and be there when he needs to talk.

I have a DCB here who tells me every day about what his mama and daddy were fighting about the night before. They've split once and reconcilled (sort of). It's heartbreaking. I just let him talk and answer his questions the best I can.
Cat Herder 12:28 PM 10-12-2011
There are several books you can use during storytime to help. Sometimes by our not being scared by it, they also feel less afraid. I go through this here about once every 4 years with my clients.

1. Standing on my own two feet. A childs affirmation of love in the midst of divorce.

2. Two homes.

3. It is not your fault Cocoa Bear.

4. Was it the chocolate pudding?

5. Dinosaurs divorce.

These are all picture books perfect for group storytime with kids ages 3-5.
JaydensMommy 12:46 PM 10-12-2011
I'm going through something similar today. I have a 3 yr old whos last day is today because mom is moving away. Mom and dad have separated and my heart is broken for this little boy. I will honestly miss him so much and I am so sad about the circumstances under which he is leaving. It was very sudden and unexpected. I am new at this and this is the first child that has left. Honestly I didn't realize how attached I would get to these kids. As I write this, I am also crying for this little boy. As for your little guy, just being there and giving them a stable environment, what more can we do..
Unregistered 12:51 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Did the DCM not give you a heads up
Right?!?! Good grief that may have been important enough to mention to the person that cares for him all day?????? Ugh sometimes I think people should have to pass a test to have kids I swear.
sharlan 01:01 PM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Right?!?! Good grief that may have been important enough to mention to the person that cares for him all day?????? Ugh sometimes I think people should have to pass a test to have kids I swear.
I frequently think that.
DCMom 01:03 PM 10-12-2011
That poor little guy I can't believe mom didn't give you a heads up!

I have a family whose mom has left them ~ dad is doing the best he can, but it's a struggle for them. They are 3 and 4 and can't even say the word 'mom' without tears welling up. It's heartbreaking.

I'm glad he has you.
sharlan 01:05 PM 10-12-2011
Give him lots of hugs and tell him that you're not going anywhere.

Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I'm going through something similar today. I have a 3 yr old whos last day is today because mom is moving away. Mom and dad have separated and my heart is broken for this little boy. I will honestly miss him so much and I am so sad about the circumstances under which he is leaving. It was very sudden and unexpected. I am new at this and this is the first child that has left. Honestly I didn't realize how attached I would get to these kids. As I write this, I am also crying for this little boy. As for your little guy, just being there and giving them a stable environment, what more can we do..
I lost my first family, 25 yrs ago because of divorce. I didn't know anything was going on until the dad stopped by on a Sun afternoon with the girls to say goodbye. Mom had moved out on Friday night, Dad put them on a plane sending them out of state on Sunday afternoon. He got full custody because she "abandoned" the kids by moving out.
laundrymom 07:55 PM 10-12-2011
I had NO IDEA,... my heart is breaking. I didn't mention it to her.
sharlan 07:57 PM 10-12-2011
She may not be ready to discuss it with anyone yet.
2ndFamilyDC 06:25 AM 10-13-2011
Oh wow, I cried just reading this. Poor little guy. At least he has you, which is some consistency.
Cat Herder 08:09 AM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
She may not be ready to discuss it with anyone yet.
Yeah, but IMHO with a 4.5 year old, she does not get that option.

The childs needs should come first.
mema 11:32 AM 10-13-2011
That is so sad. Poor babe. Just give lots of extra cuddles and lap time. Keep routine so that at least his day is consistant. Hopefully he will open up and talk to you so he can let out some of those emotions. (((hugs)))
Tags:4 year old, divorce, sad, separated parents
Reply Up