Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 Year Old Having Accidents
lovelife 10:59 AM 02-15-2012
I have been watching a dcb since April. He came to me potty trained and and has never had an accident....until a few weeks ago. He went pee and I felt awful. I made sure none of the other children knew and went on as if it was an accident. A week later he has a MAJOR one. All over the bathroom, the stool and walked into my kitchen trailing it along. Now I was reading into it. I talked to mom and she got back with me. She said that my dcb said it was because he wanted to stool moved because he was afraid I would see him. Okay great now we know and I thought true the door shuts half way when the stool is there. I have one of the huge heavy stools and only I can life it (tall so little ones can reach with handles). Mind you my quarters are small enough I know were all children are at any time I do not have any room that I use 100% daycare so I never allow other children to peek in on someone. So I ordered a new stool off Amazon. Now everyone except my two year old can pick it up. Nope, he never moves the stool and still pees with door open. So I just assumed he lied to mom. Today however he poops his pants! WHAT?!?! I am at a lose of why this is happening. DCB said he was playing with blocks. Yes that might be but you still have to use the restroom. Any advise please? TY!
CheekyChick 11:03 AM 02-15-2012
I'm guessing he's liking the attention from mom. He is probably getting special talks discussing this matter and some children find that to be a positive thing.
lovelife 11:08 AM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I'm guessing he's liking the attention from mom. He is probably getting special talks discussing this matter and some children find that to be a positive thing.
That thought honestly started crossing my mind.
christinaskids 11:23 AM 02-15-2012
I have the same issue with a very smart five year old. We figured that she is just shy especially about pooping in the main bathrooms so i let her use mine in my bedroom since it is more private. I had to do a lot of encouragement and praise but it worked out. Maybe try to figure out a way to make it more private. He is getting to a more self concious age now.
daycare 11:51 AM 02-15-2012
when my DCK did this years ago I paid it no mind. I tried to be as robotic as possible and did not ask why or question it. I just helped him change it, and went on with my day.

I did however, mention it to the parent each time it happened. And I did it by phone so that it was not brought to the childs attention.

Maybe there is something going on at home that is causing the child to do this to get the parents attention... Did you ask mom if he is doing it at home too??
lovelife 05:31 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
when my DCK did this years ago I paid it no mind. I tried to be as robotic as possible and did not ask why or question it. I just helped him change it, and went on with my day.

I did however, mention it to the parent each time it happened. And I did it by phone so that it was not brought to the childs attention.

Maybe there is something going on at home that is causing the child to do this to get the parents attention... Did you ask mom if he is doing it at home too??
I did mention it to dcm yesterday. She was dumbfounded also. She said he is not doing this at home either. This morning when dcd dropped off I asked them if they talked to dcb. DCD said that DCB said the same thing he told me, that me that he was playing with blocks.
Meyou 05:35 AM 02-16-2012
Is he just waiting too long because he's having fun? I've had that problem with one of my girls and 2 DCK's over the years. Nothing physically wrong but they didn't want to leave the toy/game/activity for even a second so they literally explode.

For me though all three kids acted this way in the summer where the washroom was a longer trip and took more time.
lovelife 09:18 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Is he just waiting too long because he's having fun? I've had that problem with one of my girls and 2 DCK's over the years. Nothing physically wrong but they didn't want to leave the toy/game/activity for even a second so they literally explode.

For me though all three kids acted this way in the summer where the washroom was a longer trip and took more time.

Well the first two times he told his mom it was because he was worried that I was going to see him in the restroom. The only times I look is to make sure he is not wasting paper towels or soap with the automatic soap dispenser. So I got the new stool he could move and thought problem solved. When he went #2 yesterday he said it was because he was playing with blocks. He is a very social child. Never plays alone. I reviewed that in my head and he had the blocks and he took them over by my couch and WAS playing alone. That never happens. Why I did not pick up on that now irks me! So I think he did it on purpose! But why is the question? What would he be gaining he is 4 1/2 and has been potty trained since I got him last April.
Tags:4 year old, accidents, attention seeking
Reply Up