Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Not Listening to Sub
Country Kids 03:00 PM 08-21-2012
So what do you guys do if your kids won't listen to the sub? Its not the first time this has happened and I have to be able to leave sometimes for appointments.

I had my food inspection and they just go wild! One got into my sensory area (hasn't looked at it for months) and just dumped it on the ground. UUHHH, I couldn't believe it. Then this child decides to run around and go crazy instead of laying down on the nap mat. Food lady showed up right as they were getting down and going for naptime.

OK, she left and then I had an appt. to get to and my sub was here. When I got back I couldn't believe it. The kids refused to lay down for her. A parent came to the door and one of the kids told my sub, they pretty much didn't have to listen to her-. Another was just running wild. Well hubs stepped in and they still went crazy!

My daughter is my sub and I can tell she really doesn't want to do it. They kids never listen to her and usually tell her no and backtalk her. The oldest I have is 3 and they do this. She sometimes will sit outside with them so I can grab a bite to eat during the morning and they just turn into wild kids.

So what would you do? I have to be able to take appts. and such. I did have another sub and they did the same thing to her also.
daycare 03:17 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
So what do you guys do if your kids won't listen to the sub? Its not the first time this has happened and I have to be able to leave sometimes for appointments.

I had my food inspection and they just go wild! One got into my sensory area (hasn't looked at it for months) and just dumped it on the ground. UUHHH, I couldn't believe it. Then this child decides to run around and go crazy instead of laying down on the nap mat. Food lady showed up right as they were getting down and going for naptime.

OK, she left and then I had an appt. to get to and my sub was here. When I got back I couldn't believe it. The kids refused to lay down for her. A parent came to the door and one of the kids told my sub, they pretty much didn't have to listen to her-. Another was just running wild. Well hubs stepped in and they still went crazy!

My daughter is my sub and I can tell she really doesn't want to do it. They kids never listen to her and usually tell her no and backtalk her. The oldest I have is 3 and they do this. She sometimes will sit outside with them so I can grab a bite to eat during the morning and they just turn into wild kids.

So what would you do? I have to be able to take appts. and such. I did have another sub and they did the same thing to her also.
my husband and kids both help out. My kids assist when needed during summer time or later in the day after school. I have them work with me around and if I ever hear a child tell them NO or they do not listen to them, They have to answer to me.

I tell the kids that they have to listen and respect all of them. My own kids are not allowed to discipline the kids, but are allowed to tell them NO they can't climb on something or what not. I think it shows the DCKs that they have to listen and respect them even when I am not around. They do not act any different with me than they do my helpers because we all enforce the same rules the same way.

is your sub doing this?
Country Kids 04:49 PM 08-21-2012
Yes, my sub is very strict with the kids. It doesn't phase them at all!
Angelsj 05:14 PM 08-21-2012
Your sub needs to gain their respect, and she needs to be able to discipline the kids. She needs to be very strict, and use time out, or whatever method you find acceptable, just as you do. The kids need to see her as an extension of yourself.

I would stand a bit back and stay with sub, but she is in charge. Have her speak to the kids and work as if you are not there. When a child disobeys or talks back, step in. Tell the child you expect them to listen to sub as if she were you, and if they do not obey, the time will be twice as long/ double special time lost, etc. Then back up and let her go.

As a side note, you probably should have your sub do some things fun with the kids. Have her do a really special art project, hand out tattoos, do finger or face painting. My dd has done these things, as well as reading to the kids.

Sometimes she just plays with them. This morning, I came up from feeding the animals, and she had them playing a rousing game of "zombies and cops" lol I have no idea what the rules are, but they were having a blast. She has also painted their faces to look like "Navi" from the movie Avatar.

I really believe the combination of firm support from me, and gaining their trust and having fun with them has made a huge difference in their listening and respecting her.
I also remind the children before I leave that a special treat will follow my return IF I get a good report. If they were not listening, no treat. This might be a sticker pack, fruit snacks, tattoos, whatever, but something not normally given.
MizzCheryl 05:38 PM 08-21-2012
Could she be there some while you are there? Start out by having them all sit in away from each other with a toy. Then she could allow 2 to play together for a short time. Then seperate them and she could allow 2 to play together. Do not let the others up. Have them sit and build blocks or draw but stay put. They only get to do something when she lets them. This way they get to see that what they can do is based on her giving them directions. When they do as she says they can have free play. when they do not do as she says take them back to a controlled play in one area alone. Not time out, they can play alone with the toy she chooses and watch others that follow directions have free play. This way they are learning to behave from watching the others.
Reply Up