Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Change in Behavior
melissa ann 09:38 AM 05-12-2010
As most of you know, I have a 4 1/2yr old dcb. For the past 2 weeks or so, his behavior has gone downhill. He hits, shoves, kicks the other kids. He'll walk on the toys, ripped some of my flowers, and he lies about it. Before, if I would ask if he hit so and so, if he said yes, he did if he didn't answer, then he didn't. Now, he will just say no, he didn't do anything. But all of the other kids said he did. I have caught him in the acts of being mean and he will lie straight to my face. I did tell grandpa last night only because the other kids were saying, he hit this person. I did say he hasn't been behaving very well and I was giving him some time without telling him. Grandpa then yelled at boy. IMO, yelling doesn't solve anything. I think this boy might have learning issues as he doesn't know his abc, can't count to 10 etc. And maybe he is just acting out his frustration. I don't know. Any advice?
MarinaVanessa 11:08 AM 05-12-2010
It's normal for the first part sorry. I have the same problem with my five year old (started at 4 1/2). She was great and listened and followed directions and such but once she hit 4 1/2 she became more independent and challenging. SHe's even been sent home not too long ago for being disruptive at pre-school. She says NO, throws food, lives in time-out, has lost ALL of her toys (they are in plastic garbage bags and locked in the garage), has sat on a dc baby, lifted another and dropped him (accidentally but she knows she's not supposed to pick the babies up), takes dc toys away from dc kids, takes things that don't belong to her and breaks them, lies about doing or not doing something, takes food from the kitchen and stuffs what she doesn't want in the couch cushions, under rugs, inside books etc. etc. etc. The list goes on. Wierd thing is that sometimes she has great days and then sometimes she has days that make me sooo frustrated that I scream and yell and burst into tears (i wait until all of the dc kids are gone of course). The only thing that really works is staying calm and smiling while I talk in a soothing voice even when all I want to do is tie her up by her ankles and hang her upside down from the ceiling fan. It's a lot of work but really being on her and shadowing her really works. She isn't allowed to be out of eyesight from me and that seems to help alot. Eventually she stops trying to do things behind my back because I'm always watching her and have her sit by me. Hang in there.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:15 AM 05-12-2010
today my challenging child kept saying,.. the other kids are hurting me,.. he is hitting me,.. she stepped on me,... he took my toy! so I made her grab up her toys and follow me around so I could "keep her safe". After an hour she said,.. can I go play with my friends,.. I said,.. no not right now, you have to wait until I can go sit right beside you to make sure you are safe,..I cant have your friends being mean to you,.. thats not fair... I bet she doesnt make up tattles tomorrow!
misol 12:14 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
today my challenging child kept saying,.. the other kids are hurting me,.. he is hitting me,.. she stepped on me,... he took my toy! so I made her grab up her toys and follow me around so I could "keep her safe". After an hour she said,.. can I go play with my friends,.. I said,.. no not right now, you have to wait until I can go sit right beside you to make sure you are safe,..I cant have your friends being mean to you,.. thats not fair... I bet she doesnt make up tattles tomorrow!
This always works for me too!
mac60 03:09 PM 05-12-2010
I have a 3 yr old and today I started him out with three tickets pinned to his shirt, explained how I expected him to be good, no running, good behavior, no whining, no talking back, etc. I told him he would lose a ticket each time he was naughty, and when the 3 tickets were gone, he would have to sit by himself in a different room on a naughty mat with a toy of my choice. Well, by 10 am he was out of tickets and I was lenient with that by giving him several warnings. He ended up sitting in another room by himself away from his friends on a small blanket till lunch time, then he went back after lunch till nap time. Time outs do nothing for him, so I decided that I will have to get really tough, and hopefully a few days of playing without his friends sitting on the naughty mat will improve the behavior.
Tags:4 year old, behavior
Reply Up