Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding a Pencil
tenderhearts 08:43 AM 06-14-2010
I have a 4 yr old dcb who does not know how to hold a pencil at all, I've bought the fat pencils (the learning ones) thinking that would help but he still can't hold it. I've tried explaining, showing him and he just doesn't get it. Is this common for kids? I've been doing daycare a long time and I've never had a child this age not be able to hold it. Just curious. I suppose they just learn eventually on their own?
professionalmom 08:50 AM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I have a 4 yr old dcb who does not know how to hold a pencil at all, I've bought the fat pencils (the learning ones) thinking that would help but he still can't hold it. I've tried explaining, showing him and he just doesn't get it. Is this common for kids? I've been doing daycare a long time and I've never had a child this age not be able to hold it. Just curious. I suppose they just learn eventually on their own?
I'm assuming that you mean hold the pencil properly. If that's the case, you can get "pencil grips" at most stores (Walmart, Target, drug stores, school supply stores, etc.). The pencil just slips in and the child can learn the proper placement of the fingers based on the way the grip is molded.
tenderhearts 09:19 AM 06-14-2010
Oh sorry yes, holding it properly. So these grip teach them how to hold it correctly? I've never heard of it, I'll have to look into it, thanks.
professionalmom 09:35 AM 06-14-2010
Oh sorry yes, holding it properly. So these grip teach them how to hold it correctly? I've never heard of it, I'll have to look into it, thanks.
I'm 35 and I remember using some when I was in school (eons ago!), but I am attaching a website that I saw them on so you can get an idea of what they look like and the different types there are.

http://www.usschoolsupply.com/catego...FY835wodJ1aqyw
TGT09 09:41 AM 06-14-2010
Haha I never knew that's actually what they were for. I thought it was too cushion the pencil so you didn't get callus'. I'll have to get some this fall when I have 3 y.o. who doesn't know how to hold one!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:48 AM 06-14-2010
My youngest daughter is 4 1/2 and I try and try to get her to hold a pencil properly but she goes back to the wrong way every single time.

I learned something from a lady at our Kindergarten registration....she said to give them a very short pencil so they can tune into their fine motor skills...if there is only a short piece of the pencil left, I guess they will learn faster that way.
professionalmom 09:53 AM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Haha I never knew that's actually what they were for. I thought it was too cushion the pencil so you didn't get callus'. I'll have to get some this fall when I have 3 y.o. who doesn't know how to hold one!
Actually there are different types. Some are just to cushion. Others are specifically molded to assist with proper finger placement. Honestly, I have know idea how I know all this! Sometimes it's amazing what kind of odd info we have stored in our brains. And I could not really tell you how, when, or where I learned any of this either. Strange.
booroo 11:20 AM 06-14-2010
There is a learning dis ability that can be identified due to the lack of ability to grip a pencil, my 13 year still can't grip a pencil and still can't write to this day, but he is ver smart.... It's the lack of dextrairy in the fingers.. The pencil grips with a short pencil will work... But you need to get this boy some bots and nuts and let him with his fingers screw the nuts off and on, it will help!!
HeatherB 02:14 PM 06-14-2010
Ok my 2 cents worth... only a few on this site with help with proper gripping. They have to the triangle, clover, Stetro ones... they are on the left hand side..

YOu can find them at walmart kmart tagets and such.
tenderhearts 03:48 PM 06-14-2010
So the ones I want have moldings for the fingers right? I've seen the "cushion" ones but that's not what I want right? I'll have to look next time I go to Target. I'll try the short pencil. He doesn't seem to have a problem with fine motor skills in anything else so I think it's just he doesn't understand really how to hold it.
HeatherB 04:47 PM 06-14-2010
Yes..exactly!

So the ones I want have moldings for the fingers right? I've seen the "cushion" ones but that's not what I want right? I'll have to look next time I go to Target. I'll try the short pencil. He doesn't seem to have a problem with fine motor skills in anything else so I think it's just he doesn't understand really how to hold it.

MarinaVanessa 10:46 AM 06-15-2010
I teach my kiddos how to hold their pencils and crayons by placing their fingers where they are supposed to be and reminding them "thumbs up" the thumb is always facing upwards. Seems to helps them but I'm sure not all kids learn at the same speed.
Pepperth 05:38 AM 01-06-2016
Ha! I still can't hold a pencil properly. I remember my teachers using those things on my pencils and I still write like a lefty with my right hand.
kendallina 10:23 AM 01-06-2016
I use this technique to teach my preschoolers proper pencil grip. You'll need to remind him and show him every day for a while (a month or more sometimes), but eventually it does work!

http://www.icanteachmychild.com/correct-pencil-grip/
nanglgrl 12:13 PM 01-06-2016
Thin short pencils are better it forces to hold them correctly. I also use the writing claw (it's really cheap online) and have had success with this.
Tags:4 year old, holding pencil
Reply Up