Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Happy Screamer-What do I do to Make the Screeching Stop?
Miss Lindsey 08:10 AM 12-07-2010
He is 8 months old and screeches a high pitched scream when he is excited or when he wants my attention. I cant ignore it, and some of the other kids get a bit upset when he does it. I cant take the screeching anymore! My ears are ringing! I asked mom about it and she says, aw, he is just a happy guy! Ugh. What can I do to curb this ear-piercing habit?
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 12-07-2010
Ear plugs!!! Ear muffs for all!!!!
Boy that is a tough one...atleast he isn't UNhappy!
missnikki 08:16 AM 12-07-2010
I usually tell them "I can't hear what you are telling me when you make that sound. Try it again with your words." in a very calm tone. If you do that each time, it might catch on that you respond better to other approaches. When he does use his voice properly, respond and make it a little conversation so he learns how to express himself around people.
kendallina 09:30 AM 12-07-2010
I don't think there is anything you can do. He's 8 months old and it's a developmental thing-he found his voice! Hopefully it doesn't last too long. As a PP mentioned, I would speak to him using a soft voice, but there isn't anything you can really do to stop him from screeching, it'll stop on its own eventually.
MyAngels 09:44 AM 12-07-2010
I had one like this once, I just tried not to pay it too much attention, so as not to reinforce the behavior, but it really didn't help much. He did outgrow it quickly, in just a few weeks.
Cedar 11:25 AM 12-07-2010
I gave notice to a little girl who would do that same thing...her parents just thought it was okay and not a problem. She scared all the other kids and it drove me absolutely crazy! My home is once again quiet, happy and relaxing! All the little people I care for are more relaxed too! It isn't suppose to be painful or stressful. GIVE NOTICE and good luck!
nikia 11:32 AM 12-07-2010
I had a little guy that did this. He did grow out of and I agree with some of the other comments, not sure if there is anything you can do to stop it. Just wait till he grows out of it at least in my case that is what I had to do. Good luck maybe some ear plugs to take the ringing sensation out of your ears
kidkair 11:58 AM 12-07-2010
Help him out grow it by showing him and telling him that it hurts you. Cover your ears and tell him that it hurt when he screeched and please don't screech again. Especially since mom thinks it's not that bad it will take him awhile to realize you don't like it. If he does it while you are holding him, show and tell him it hurt then put him down and do something else. Treat it much the same as if he hit or bit you. He'll learn. Make it clear to mom that you don't think it should be encouraged at home. Make it clear that if there is no improvement in (amount of time you are willing) then you will have to term because it is affecting the other kids as well.
missnikki 01:47 PM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Help him out grow it by showing him and telling him that it hurts you. Cover your ears and tell him that it hurt when he screeched and please don't screech again. Especially since mom thinks it's not that bad it will take him awhile to realize you don't like it. If he does it while you are holding him, show and tell him it hurt then put him down and do something else. Treat it much the same as if he hit or bit you. He'll learn. Make it clear to mom that you don't think it should be encouraged at home. Make it clear that if there is no improvement in (amount of time you are willing) then you will have to term because it is affecting the other kids as well.
That would be a more appropriate version for an 8 month old. I responded without noticing that kinda important fact. I agree with this answer.
Unregistered 03:22 PM 01-11-2016
I had a 8 month old baby that would scream all day. every day. I told the parents a few times. after about 7 weeks I decided to term care for that baby. my contract states to provide a 2 week written notice. I talked to her about the situation and was very nice and peofessional. I explained I felt it would be better for him to be with a provider that has the ability to hold him more and give him more attention since I have all preschool age kids.
I then gave her the written notice and that it stated when his last day is and that payment is still due in full if they decide to not stay the last 2 weeks. I even providing her with my backup providers info bc she had a infant opening. come Monday morning she was a no show. now she is trying to tell me that she doesn't owe me bc she referred people to me. and that she doesn't owe me bc she paid for the 2 week winter vacation that he wasn't here. even tho in my contract it states that my rates are flat weekly rates regardless if the child is here or not. I told her she had until the end of the day to pay the 2 week fee or she would be taken to court. she told me go ahead and do what I have to do.
in my contract and handbook that she signed both it clearly states all of my rules on terminating childcare
Blackcat31 04:24 PM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had a 8 month old baby that would scream all day. every day. I told the parents a few times. after about 7 weeks I decided to term care for that baby. my contract states to provide a 2 week written notice. I talked to her about the situation and was very nice and peofessional. I explained I felt it would be better for him to be with a provider that has the ability to hold him more and give him more attention since I have all preschool age kids.
I then gave her the written notice and that it stated when his last day is and that payment is still due in full if they decide to not stay the last 2 weeks. I even providing her with my backup providers info bc she had a infant opening. come Monday morning she was a no show. now she is trying to tell me that she doesn't owe me bc she referred people to me. and that she doesn't owe me bc she paid for the 2 week winter vacation that he wasn't here. even tho in my contract it states that my rates are flat weekly rates regardless if the child is here or not. I told her she had until the end of the day to pay the 2 week fee or she would be taken to court. she told me go ahead and do what I have to do.
in my contract and handbook that she signed both it clearly states all of my rules on terminating childcare
Looks like she called your bluff.

File with small claims court and make sure you have all your signed/dated documents. Bring them with you on your court date.

Also bring any emails or text "proof" you have too!

Good luck! Sucks when parents have to be so difficult.

For future enrollments, I would require a deposit equal to the last two weeks of care. That way you are atleast covered payment-wise for that time period.
BabyMonkeys 08:48 AM 01-13-2016
I have a 19m that has done this for months. Drives me stark.raving.mad, but so far I haven't found anything to do about it. He's HAPPY! I try whispering to him, and sometimes it will work...for about 30 seconds. If I could just turn down his volume control he would be the perfect kid though. His mom is pretty great too. I hope you get some good suggestions that I can steal!
Unregistered 03:17 PM 01-14-2016
Ear plugs, yes! Stay calm or it will become a power seeking behavior. I like the whispering response. You can try saying, "No scream, quiet voice." Using the "to do" behavior second, so that is what he remembers. Or just "Ouch, quiet voice, please."

Ignoring the behavior is suppose to extinguish it. I'd give him lots of attention when he is not screaming. Pay attention to what you want him to do, instead of what you don't want him to do.

Yes, he's playing with sound. I'd play calm background music, I'd get him in on lots of singing so he can participate in a different kind of noise making. Also, clapping/rhythm type rhymes like Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack or the song The Lady With the Alligator Purse, or If You're Happy and You Know It.

Good Luck!
Tags:screamer, screaming
Reply Up