Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Bother Anyone Else?
SunflowerMama 08:30 AM 08-13-2018
Just let a little 4.5 yr old DGG go because she just needed a new learning environment with more than I could offer for her energy/behavior.

Anyway so I had her for 2.5 years and all my 5-year-olds that graduate to kinder are school ready and do great but this morning mom posts a cutesy pic at her new school. "So and so's very first day of PRESCHOOL and we're so proud!!"

Tap the breaks! Hasn't she been in preschool for 2.5 years already?! Ugh. Just bothers me when folks don't consider in-home daycare a "preschool" when logistically we're doing the exact same thing just in a home environment vs. a school setting.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 08-13-2018
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Just let a little 4.5 yr old DGG go because she just needed a new learning environment with more than I could offer for her energy/behavior.

Anyway so I had her for 2.5 years and all my 5-year-olds that graduate to kinder are school ready and do great but this morning mom posts a cutesy pic at her new school. "So and so's very first day of PRESCHOOL and we're so proud!!"

Tap the breaks! Hasn't she been in preschool for 2.5 years already?! Ugh. Just bothers me when folks don't consider in-home daycare a "preschool" when logistically we're doing the exact same thing just in a home environment vs. a school setting.
I understand.

The gap between a parent perspective and a teacher's AND/OR child care provider's perspective is vast and wide.

I'm sorry you lost a DCK....for whatever reason. That part of the business sucks.
Jiminycrickets 12:43 PM 08-13-2018
My YDS is going to part time preschool this fall and when I mentioned it in passing my newest DCM actually said "But you do preschool here, why are you sending him?" I said, "Just to get him used to being away from me once in a while," and she was like, "Oh, that makes sense. You do so much with them here, so I just wondered."
I was a little shocked she knew. Maybe she actually reads the daily sheets I send home with her kiddo.
Lil_Diddle 12:02 PM 08-14-2018
Originally Posted by Jiminycrickets:
My YDS is going to part time preschool this fall and when I mentioned it in passing my newest DCM actually said "But you do preschool here, why are you sending him?" I said, "Just to get him used to being away from me once in a while," and she was like, "Oh, that makes sense. You do so much with them here, so I just wondered."
I was a little shocked she knew. Maybe she actually reads the daily sheets I send home with her kiddo.
I plan on doing the same with my 3 year old son next year. It’s just 2 days a week, half days. I’m also suggesting it to another daycare parent. I’ve had her daughter since she was an infant and I think it would be good for her
Snowmom 12:43 PM 08-14-2018
Does it bother me...
Well yes and no for a number of reasons.

I do include a hands on curriculum without worksheets.
Some parents need those worksheets to feel like they are "getting ahead".
The pressure of formal preschool from other parents can be overwhelming to some. Or they cave into the hype. Or they want the prestige to say "My kid goes to Montessori", even if they have no idea what Montessori actually means. Or they get it free from the state.

But, ultimately, I don't like having kids in the 4-5 age range. It's just not my preference. So, I'm usually happy to wish them well on their journey.

But, I put a lot of effort into our daily work. To single it out as "not real", yea, that would bug me.
Tags:4 year old, home schooling, home vs school, parents - are clueless, preschool
Reply Up