Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Address What 4 Year Old Said
Ac114 04:55 AM 09-19-2018
Soo long story short, I have a family that started a few weeks ago that came from a center. I guess they left without a notice because she claimed the situation was just bad for her kids. Well last Friday she FaceTimed one of the teachers who also left and apparently she was crying saying how much she missed the girls and she would have left earlier to be a nanny if she knew they were leaving. Mom said she didn’t know that was an option but would have taken her up on the offer. I thought it was kind of rude she shared that with me but whatever.

Fast forward to today: 4 year old comes in pouting because she thought she was going to get to stay home today. Dad leave and she said “we’re going to have 2 babysitters. You and then one that comes to our house”

Me: oh really. That’s nice. Who’s your other babysitter

Her: Ms. k from our old daycare. She’s coming one day to watch us to see if we like it and if we do, she’s going to be our new babysitter!

So my delimma is, do I say anything to mom about this or just let it ride out and look for someone to fill their spots. It’s kind of slow right now and I’ve been trying to fill my last spot for several weeks and now may have 3 spots open.
Cat Herder 05:12 AM 09-19-2018
I would ask her since she, herself, also told you. I would also start interviewing.

I doubt it will last long because Ms. K will not be making enough money to stay at it longterm if she is working private for a group care rate. She will be gone as soon as she has another job opening.
storybookending 06:24 AM 09-19-2018
I wouldn’t say anything to the parents at all but since you are already interviewing to fill an open space I wouldn’t turn away any family looking for 2 spaces instead of just the one you currently have open. Is this family still within a trial period of you have one?
Josiegirl 09:20 AM 09-19-2018
Hmmm, I think I'd have to speak up and ask so you can be extra proactive about advertising your open spots. Does dcm have to give you 2 week notice?
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 09-19-2018
I'm odd duck here as usual when it comes to this type of situation.... I keep what I "know" and hear from others to myself.

I understand the parent kind of already mentioned it but I still continue on as normal. If they are going to withdraw from care, there is a protocol to follow that covers my butt/bank account.

If not, time to review and alter your notice policies.
Ac114 09:39 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Hmmm, I think I'd have to speak up and ask so you can be extra proactive about advertising your open spots. Does dcm have to give you 2 week notice?
She does have to give me a two week notice per the contract she signed. She also dropped off a check today that was for this week and next week so I’m confused. I know they will leave if they wanna leave but I just wanted to get a straight answer instead of wondering what’s going on.
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 09-19-2018
Do you have a deposit on file with them IF they just up and leave you without notice? If not, I'd work on getting one.
daycarediva 10:02 AM 09-19-2018
knowing that this family already left without notice to another daycare, I wouldn't have enrolled them to begin with.

That being said, do you have two weeks upfront or similar deposit to CYA? If not, I would make sure to at least have payment for the following week in advance and advertise now.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Mom said she didn’t know that was an option but would have taken her up on the offer.

She does have to give me a two week notice per the contract she signed.

dropped off a check today that was for this week and next week so I’m confused.
It sounds like she thinks she did give notice. Just in a non-confrontational, beating around the bush, not wanting to hurt feelings/burn bridges, non-concise sort of way.

I would just ask her directly if she is planning on leaving. I would not even mention what the child said.

It may simply be that she is going to be taking some night classes and needs an after-hours sitter.
Ac114 05:50 AM 09-20-2018
So I couldn’t help it and asked. I guess they hired old daycare teacher to watch the girls in the evening so she could watch her older daughters volleyball games and not have to chase after the kids. It makes sense but we’ll see. It is what it is.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 09-20-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
So I couldn’t help it and asked. I guess they hired old daycare teacher to watch the girls in the evening so she could watch her older daughters volleyball games and not have to chase after the kids. It makes sense but we’ll see. It is what it is.
You could take this time to "build" a deposit.

Tell her, you are implementing a policy for all families to have a deposit on file equating to their required notice period.

If she can't afford it up front and her deposit is $300 for example, have her pay it in portions.

I started requiring deposits a while back but I'll admit there is 2 families I have that I haven't required them to have one. But it's because I don't think they'd flake out on me but there are a few families I required a deposit from immediately simply due to my gut instinct telling me I just don't trust them to give proper notice.
Tags:4 year old, client - leaving, client looking for other daycare
Reply Up