Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dramatic 4 yr old
gumdrops 07:11 AM 02-21-2019
I have an almost 4 yr old who has been very dramatic the last few weeks. If she gets the slightest scratch, bump, something doesn't go her way, she forces a very dramatic cry. You would think she just broke a bone. She will not stop unless I put her down for a "nap" (which I only make her stay until she's finished crying) or if I give her lots of attention for it.

Yesterday she "pinched" her finger in a toy, but I saw it happen and I'm certain it was nothing. She didn't even have a red mark. I gave her a wash cloth though, and she stopped crying instantly. I don't want to start this trend.

I am not a sucker for her drama, so I don't like to give attention when she's acting ridiculous for a non-ridiculous situation.

How do you handle this? I assume she's lacking attention in general, but I really don't think she is. It's usually mid morning, so maybe she's hungry. I hate to change my routine though.

Any suggestions??
knoxmomof2 08:40 AM 02-21-2019
Assuming it's just a simple need for attention, they're not really hurting and I can't see another reason for the outburst--if it's anything less than a real injury, I give it a kiss. I "kiss" my hand, touch it to the owie, make a funny sound and then say "all better!" Works 90% of the time. It's quick, easy and they feel like their feelings matter.

If that doesn't help, I just say "OK, you're fine, go play" and move on. If it turns into hysterics, they go to the "crying corner" and they can come out when they're done. At that point, I've shown concern, made it "better"... There's nothing more I can do.
Ariana 08:41 AM 02-21-2019
Ignoring is all that works. Offer a hug, ask her if she is ok and then ignore. She might cry for an hour the first time but pretty soon she will get it together quicker and quicker. This is how kids learn emotional regulation.
Tags:4 year old, drama, drama queen
Reply Up