Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would It Be Fair?
Preschool/daycare teacher 12:57 PM 01-12-2011
would it be fair to put in the policy that your child's time here still counts until you actually leave? Even if you've signed them out already? When so many parents come right at the last possible minute (we close at 5:30, so some parents don't arrive until right AT 5:30 on the nose), then they take their time talking to the kids, getting their stuff to the car, talking to me, etc. So it's more like 5:40 or 5:45 before they actually leave. It's a home daycare, but not actaully IN the home. It's a seperate little building we use JUST for daycare. So I can't start supper or anything like that. I don't have kids and can't use them as the excuse. So would a policy saying they have to leave by closing time, not just be arriving at closing time be fair? That the late fee will begin one minute after closing time (which is 5:30)? even after they've signed the children out they're still there.... I don't think I should have to tell them my business of what I'm doing after daycare just so they'll leave on time, and when I don't have plans and I just want to get to my own place...
Also, how strict are you on the late pick up fee? Do you put it in place even if they are (consistently) just a minute or two after "closing time" before they walk in? Or do you give them a grace period of a few minutes even for the consistently late ones if they're just a minute or two late? To me it's like they're saying the don't respect my time and it won't matter if they're just a couple minutes late. some of these are really good families who pay on time, never cause problems, arrange for a change of schedule before they actually show up, that kind of thing. But they still pick up 1-10 minutes late every time. It's annoying for when I do have plans and tell people I'll be there at 6:00 and instead it's 6:10. I believe in being on time. I hate being late!
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 01-12-2011
I also have a separate building for my childcare and when I interview I make a point of letting people know I am leaving/closing/walking out the door/getting in my car/lights out/GONE at 5:30 because of the exact reasons you mentioned. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful DH who works at home and cooks dinner for me every single night but I open at 6:30/7:00 so by 5:30 I am OUT the door. So even though I close at 5:30 that doesnt mean come then it means be picked up and gone by 5:30.
QualiTcare 01:13 PM 01-12-2011
i would put a very "to the point" notice on the door, the cubbies, the sign in sheet - wherever! and state that the late fees kick in at 5:30 and continue until they have left the building. it's TOTALLY fair.

there was a family when i worked at a daycare who were 5 minutes late eeeeevery day. we'd just be standing there with our purses/keys waiting on this parent. OR they'd show up 5 mins early and stand around watching their kid play, looking at a book with him, etc. they were really good parents - older, it was their only child so they doted on him and i guess thought we all should too - but good lord we've looked at him for 10 hours already - GO HOME and dote!

you HAVE to actually make them PAY the fee though or putting up a notice is pointless. they might start coming on time for awhile and if they don't get a bill for the time they are late - it'll be right back to old habits.
missnikki 01:25 PM 01-12-2011
I would get an atomic clock (the kind you can't argue about accuracy because it automatically sets itself) if you are going to do anything about it. My new newsletter (to be initialled or signed after discussing with each parent at drop off) would say:

"We just got a new clock, it will be "Official Day Care Time" so set your watches to it. This is the clock I will go by, so if you or your child are still here at closing time, you will be responsible for paying a late pick up penalty starting at 5:31pm as outlined in your handbook. This is not a new rule, but it has been taken for granted lately so this will be the remedy to that problem. This new procedure will take effect starting today. Please be on time. Thank you in advance."
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:13 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I would get an atomic clock (the kind you can't argue about accuracy because it automatically sets itself) if you are going to do anything about it. My new newsletter (to be initialled or signed after discussing with each parent at drop off) would say:

"We just got a new clock, it will be "Official Day Care Time" so set your watches to it. This is the clock I will go by, so if you or your child are still here at closing time, you will be responsible for paying a late pick up penalty starting at 5:31pm as outlined in your handbook. This is not a new rule, but it has been taken for granted lately so this will be the remedy to that problem. This new procedure will take effect starting today. Please be on time. Thank you in advance."
Very good idea! Thank you! I kind of wondered about how to prevent us from arguing over whether they were on time or late 7 minutes (or something silly like that) just because our watches and clocks are different. Where could I find one of those, and how much do they cost?

Another question unrelated:
I'm the assistant, and sometimes when I close the parents I guess are not comfortable giving me the check that goes to the owner, because they look uncomfortable about it and if I don't know they owe, then they just don't pay. Any easy fixes to that? I can certainly understand because if they gave me the check how do they know I won't lose it and tell the owner they didn't pay? I would NEVER do that, of course, and am kinda hurt that maybe they don't trust me (I've never ever given them ANY reason not to!), but that's a lot of money to hand over to someone to hand over to someone else, so I can understand, too. I'd probably be the same way with anyone else taking the money than the person who it's written out to. So, any easy solutions? I don't want them to feel uncomfortable about it and it's bad for the owner when she doesn't get her money when it's due.
MG&Lsmom 02:32 PM 01-12-2011
I have the same problems. It'll be up to 20 mins sometimes for one dcm to actually leave. I decided even though I have a no shoes policy, tomorrow this child will be shoes on and packed up to leave 10 mins before pick up. When I see mom pull in the drive I'm putting on his coat. He runs around my house screaming "NO WAY" when mom tries to do it and she's so exhausted she just sits down in a chair and tries to talk him into it until I do the wrestling anyway.

As for the payments, I would ask the owner to place a mailbox or something else with a padlock on it for payments for parents. My dd's preschool has this and it's wonderful. No one, not even the director, handles payments during dropoff or pick up. Parents are expected to have the check in the box last day of the month or late fees start racking up.
lvt77 02:56 PM 01-12-2011
I am in this same boat...some parents come in take there shoes off and will start palying with whatever their child is doing....At first I did not mind, but when I open at 6am and close at 6pm, and at 620 people were still here. It became annoying.

I am in the process of rewrite of PHB I think I am going to add this in there...
momma2girls 03:25 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I am in this same boat...some parents come in take there shoes off and will start palying with whatever their child is doing....At first I did not mind, but when I open at 6am and close at 6pm, and at 620 people were still here. It became annoying.

I am in the process of rewrite of PHB I think I am going to add this in there...
I have a mother that does this as well. She takes her shoes off and just sits on my chair and talks, waits for her son, to come to her, then it takes about 10 min. to get his shoes on and coat on as well. UGHH!!! It's right at my closing time as well. Then I have another one that is always late, it's only 5-10 min. but it does get old. I even placed in my contract, that the late fee will be implemented from now on if you are late. Then the late one, stands around and talks 5 -10 min. so I am technically open longer than what I want to be.UGGGHHHH
lvt77 03:41 PM 01-12-2011
I like these moms and stuff and dont mind it every once in awhile, but not every day...I have 3 kids of my own to take care of and time is always pressing..
missnikki 03:49 PM 01-12-2011
Wal Mart sells atomic clocks, you can get one for about $30-$50, depending on the size, other features, etc... Here's a link:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

As far as the payments, what I do is have a lockbox mounted on the wall by the parent corner, and in my handbook it says:
"3. If payment is not received by the due dates listed in figure 1 (above), a late fee of 10% will be assessed. For your convenience we have a payment box in the daycare room, right next to the sign in/out book. Please fill out a payment slip and drop in the box with payment."

Wall Mounted Drop Box with top slot for $32.99:
http://www.specialtystoreservices.co...roductID=10903

Payment slip is copy/pasta in thirds on one sheet, looks like this:

Name of Program
Child(ren)’s Name(s): _____________________________________________

PAYMENT FOR WEEK(S) of _____________________

AMOUNT PAID $_________________ CHECK #_________________

Parent signature ________________________________ Date___/___/___
***POSTDATED CHECKS WILL NOT PREVENT LATE FEES***

___ I WOULD LIKE A RECEIPT

aaaand finally, I would add in the handbook that all payments are to be placed in the lock box. Closing staff does not accept payment. (Make sure that you point to it when someone has a check they want to hand you. That way, you never touch money so they have nothing to fear, and you don't ever get accused of anything.)
Kaddidle Care 04:10 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:

Perfect! I might add that "should you wish to discuss the child's day, please be sure to come 10-15 minutes prior to the 5:30 closing time so that we can talk without you being charged for it."

Parents don't realize how exausting child care can be. Their 1 or 2 may not tire them out but when you have 5-10, it can zap you.

Everyone looks forward to quitting time and they need to understand and RESPECT that fact.
Greenshadow 08:10 AM 01-13-2011
I guess Im a little different. I have one mom that does come and stay for 10 minutes or so, but I dont mind it. If I have somewhere to be, I tell her and she respects that. This is my business but I also want to have a healthy relationship with the parents of the children I care for. I have one mom that hardly ever comes and stays. She drops her kid off in record time but on occasion will hang around a few minutes to talk and catch up. I like it. I do not get much adult interaction with a job like this. Just to be able to talk to another adult is welcoming to me. I dont want them hanging around all morning but 10-15 minutes is okay with me. Like I said, if I have somewhere to go, I make that clear and they head out pretty quick. I like to discuss what the child did that day, ate, whatever. I also have the children ready to go when I know the parents are coming. Shoes, coats, etc. That way they can take them and go if they want to because sometimes some of the kids do throw a fit because they dont want to leave or whatever. So I guess in the end, I look at it alittle differently. These are people with people to raise. I help them every single day to do this. I feel that we as adults should communicate a few minutes a day. I want them to feel comfortable with me. Taking care of children is a big deal to me and to the parents of these children. My days are long but this is what I signed up to do.
sahm2three 09:14 AM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Very good idea! Thank you! I kind of wondered about how to prevent us from arguing over whether they were on time or late 7 minutes (or something silly like that) just because our watches and clocks are different. Where could I find one of those, and how much do they cost?

Another question unrelated:
I'm the assistant, and sometimes when I close the parents I guess are not comfortable giving me the check that goes to the owner, because they look uncomfortable about it and if I don't know they owe, then they just don't pay. Any easy fixes to that? I can certainly understand because if they gave me the check how do they know I won't lose it and tell the owner they didn't pay? I would NEVER do that, of course, and am kinda hurt that maybe they don't trust me (I've never ever given them ANY reason not to!), but that's a lot of money to hand over to someone to hand over to someone else, so I can understand, too. I'd probably be the same way with anyone else taking the money than the person who it's written out to. So, any easy solutions? I don't want them to feel uncomfortable about it and it's bad for the owner when she doesn't get her money when it's due.
How about a payment box? Easy to make one even. Construct a wooden box, get a hinge and a latch that can be locked with a paddlelock. Give parents a note telling of the new box and tell them that if their payment isn't in there by the time it is due, late payments will be charged. Good luck.
Greenshadow 09:43 AM 01-13-2011
...and we wonder, after reading some of these posts, why our parents hire attorney's to scare us and dont give cards or say they are sorry for things that happen to us. I think alot of daycare providers try to run such a tight ship that they lose the human nature part of it. I understand you have to have tight reins on the parents or they walk all over you but you also have to give some too to get some. I dont see alot of that in this line of posts. Just sayin'. Attack away if you feel you need to. I am not lenient on my parents but I dont treat them like they are replaceable and without some human decency. I understand that we all have rules and contracts but sometimes, more often than not, stuff happens and that stuff rolls downhill. You have to take the good with the bad. It just seems like some of this is pulled so tight that I wonder why you do this job. If you want a job with exact hours, go work somewhere else where you can get that. But to bully your parents into signing forms and putting out boxes and threatening them doesnt seem to work either. Or maybe it does for you. What works for me is common decency and I receive that in return via cards, apologies, etc. You get what you give.
MG&Lsmom 10:12 AM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
...and we wonder, after reading some of these posts, why our parents hire attorney's to scare us and dont give cards or say they are sorry for things that happen to us. I think alot of daycare providers try to run such a tight ship that they lose the human nature part of it. I understand you have to have tight reins on the parents or they walk all over you but you also have to give some too to get some. I dont see alot of that in this line of posts. Just sayin'. Attack away if you feel you need to. I am not lenient on my parents but I dont treat them like they are replaceable and without some human decency. I understand that we all have rules and contracts but sometimes, more often than not, stuff happens and that stuff rolls downhill. You have to take the good with the bad. It just seems like some of this is pulled so tight that I wonder why you do this job. If you want a job with exact hours, go work somewhere else where you can get that. But to bully your parents into signing forms and putting out boxes and threatening them doesnt seem to work either. Or maybe it does for you. What works for me is common decency and I receive that in return via cards, apologies, etc. You get what you give.
In part I agree with what you said in your first post. It is nice to be able to chat for a few minutes, relay any info, share something in person that a dck did that day. And if you truly like your dcps, that 10 mins of adult talk can be enough to get you through another day. However, I feel anything consistently over 10 mins is excessive and could be politely dealt with as long as the dcp hears, understands and follows through. I think unfortunately some dcp just don't care and will continue to push boundaries. I've had this experience as a center staff member, a public school teacher, a private nanny and now as a home dcp. It may just be where our society has gone sadly. And then you need to bully. Some people just don't hear until it gets to that point.

As for payment boxes, I'm not sure why that's such a big deal? If I had 4 or 5 dcps showing up at closing on a Friday with checks being handed to me I'm sure I'd misplace at least one weekly. A specific, secure location to leave a payment sounds like a responsible and professional manner to handle what the OP said was her concern. Unless they need a receipt then and there, that would be different. I give monthly receipts.
QualiTcare 10:52 AM 01-13-2011
the OP is not a family daycare owner. she works for someone else and i would assume is paid by the hour, and probably not very much. 10 extra minutes each day adds up to an extra hour a week she isn't getting paid for.
Missani 11:21 AM 01-13-2011
I have this same problem. I am open until 5:30 and EVERY one of my kids are here until 5:30 on the nose. Then we talk, etc. for a while, kids get ready (I have a couple of toddlers that really fight getting ready so it can be a long time), then they walk upstairs, then the kid gets side tracked upstairs, then we talk some more. Then, they are all coming at the same time so it's a lot of kids getting ready at once and me trying to talk to everyone at once about different things, etc.

It's a tough one for me. I close at 5:30 because it is already a long day by then and because on Wednesday nights I have to be somewhere at 6:00. Also, my own kids go to bed about 7:00-7:30 and it takes that long just to have dinner, take a bath, read a book and we never get to enjoy any family time in the evenings. However, I also know that all (well all except one) of my parents work until 5:00 and legitimately work 30 minutes away. Usually, I just appreciate that they get here as quickly as possible, but as it is (call me a pushover) I NEVER get done before 6:00. I can go weeks at a time having no days where all of the kids even have a parent there by 5:30 (one mom is 5:35-5:40 every day) much less get out of my house. On Wednesdays, I am sometimes leaving before they are out the door (dh is home), but I do wait until they are all there. I sometimes get frustrated that I always have to work such long hours and never know what time I'm going to be done for the day and can't plan anything for the evening, etc., and this is on a NORMAL day, I am also in MN where it snows most days (usually right at rush hour) and that can easily make parents an hour late or more. Sometimes I get a little upset that they don't plan better.

Most of the time, however, I am okay with it because I understand that they really are trying to get there and that they want to get home for the day as much as I want to be done for the day. I want to still talk to them, etc. I don't usually charge late fees (again I'm a pushover) but I don't want to be taken advantage of either. It's tough. I wish there were a better middle ground. But, to answer your original question, yes I think it's fine for you to add that they need to be GONE by your closing time. That way hopefully they will plan better and get there early enough that you can still be personable with them. Good luck!
dEHmom 11:39 AM 01-13-2011
I agree completely with Greenshadow!

I enjoy the 5-15 minutes of talking time with the moms/dads. It is definitely a great way to end a day with a bunch of kids.

BUT I see the point about respecting closing time and frequently being late. If you want to be out of there by 5:30 (which seems early to me but maybe just because of where we live), then you need to set your pick up time at 5:15 to allow for that extra 15 minutes. Say something like Pickup 5:15, doors lock at 5:30. Besides, if you have 2 or more kids tryign to get out the door and parents coming in, it's going to take much longer.

Being in a home setting, I think the box is not appropriate for payments, unless you have a center, or even just an assistant that deals with parents coming at the end of the day. That makes sense.

And the clock idea! I love that! We all set a clock to the same time, i know every clock in my house is different, and constantly changes even though I have sync'd them all up a few days ago. Cannot understand it! My stove is slow, microwave is fast, vcr is sometimes slow sometimes fast, and wall clock is usually an hour wrong because of time changes (lol I know!).
Greenshadow 12:14 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
I agree completely with Greenshadow!

I enjoy the 5-15 minutes of talking time with the moms/dads. It is definitely a great way to end a day with a bunch of kids.

BUT I see the point about respecting closing time and frequently being late. If you want to be out of there by 5:30 (which seems early to me but maybe just because of where we live), then you need to set your pick up time at 5:15 to allow for that extra 15 minutes. Say something like Pickup 5:15, doors lock at 5:30. Besides, if you have 2 or more kids tryign to get out the door and parents coming in, it's going to take much longer.

Being in a home setting, I think the box is not appropriate for payments, unless you have a center, or even just an assistant that deals with parents coming at the end of the day. That makes sense.

And the clock idea! I love that! We all set a clock to the same time, i know every clock in my house is different, and constantly changes even though I have sync'd them all up a few days ago. Cannot understand it! My stove is slow, microwave is fast, vcr is sometimes slow sometimes fast, and wall clock is usually an hour wrong because of time changes (lol I know!).

I totally agree with your reply. I love the clock idea as well.
dEHmom 12:18 PM 01-13-2011
Then Greenshadow,
We have agreed to agree with agreeing with each other
Crystal 12:20 PM 01-13-2011
Well said, and I agree with both of your posts 100%
momma2girls 12:22 PM 01-13-2011
I have one parent that is consistantly late- 5 or 10 min. every evening, then she stands and talks to me for about 5-10 min. while she is getting her boy dressed if not longer than that!! I need to really have the baby in the car seat ready to go everyday, but I just haven't done it yet. I did place in my contract, the late fees will be implemented from now. It doesn't matter to her, as long as I keep allowing her to do this. She has come in numerous times, when I had to be someplace at a certain time- "Sorry" this is all she says!! So now I added, if you are not here at your contracted time and I need to leave, your child will be with me, and there will be a note left on the door where I will be at. Also the late fees will be implemented from now on. I guess until I stand up and say something, it will continue to be this way. I just don't want to lose them over this. It seems like within the last yr. or two, there are so many daycares out there, and we are all struggling to keep children, etc. that everytime you stick up for yourself, you have the chance, that the families will leave. UGHH!!! I have had some families leave for dumb reasons before. One family I was helping her daughter with her name, and the daughter didn't like it- another family left, because they found daycare that didn't have a contract at all!!! I guess there have been 2 families that left and found someone without a contract!!
dEHmom 12:29 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I guess there have been 2 families that left and found someone without a contract!!
So let them.
The contract is there to protect both you and them. If they want to put their child in a place without a contract then god forbid anything happens where they wish they had it.
momma2girls 12:30 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
So let them.
The contract is there to protect both you and them. If they want to put their child in a place without a contract then god forbid anything happens where they wish they had it.
I agree!! I told them both Good luck with everything!!!
Both parents didn't like to follow the contract, that they signed!!
momatheart 12:50 PM 01-13-2011
I know what you mean. I charge for that one minute that they are late. I don't budge. We have a nice sign we put on the sign in sheet that lets them know they owe late fee right now and they are late.

Weather conditions humm snow storm is coming well to me that is why you have your alternates listed on pick up form. Call them to pick up, leave work early, or pay the fee.
momma2girls 12:56 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I know what you mean. I charge for that one minute that they are late. I don't budge. We have a nice sign we put on the sign in sheet that lets them know they owe late fee right now and they are late.

Weather conditions humm snow storm is coming well to me that is why you have your alternates listed on pick up form. Call them to pick up, leave work early, or pay the fee.
I totally agree with you!
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:15 PM 01-13-2011
I'm not saying I don't want to talk to the parents, or that I don't care about them or something. I love talking to the parents at the appropriate time. But when we are supposed to be closed at 5:30, and they don't come until 5:40, and then take forever to get out... it's not really the best time for a long conversation or to watch their child play on someone else's time. If they want to see their child playing, couldn't they allow time for it, arriving a little early? I cannot change our closing time as I'm not the one in charge. And we want to work with the parents as much as we can, so that they have time to get off work and get to daycare to pick their child up. If we made it earlier, some of the parents would have to find another daycare. Since we DO love their child and want them here we wouldn't want that.
All I'm asking for is some respect for my time. I respect their's and don't prolong their drop off time with a long conversation or serious discussion and make them late for wherever they're going. And at pick up I try to have their child ready so they can get to their evening activities on time. Not everyone has something going on every evening, so on those days they take their time. Poviders have to get places too in the evening. Even if it's just getting home to take care of things there. Supper or whatever.
So can't parents and providers respect each other?
momma2girls 05:17 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I'm not saying I don't want to talk to the parents, or that I don't care about them or something. I love talking to the parents at the appropriate time. But when we are supposed to be closed at 5:30, and they don't come until 5:40, and then take forever to get out... it's not really the best time for a long conversation or to watch their child play on someone else's time. If they want to see their child playing, couldn't they allow time for it, arriving a little early? I cannot change our closing time as I'm not the one in charge. And we want to work with the parents as much as we can, so that they have time to get off work and get to daycare to pick their child up. If we made it earlier, some of the parents would have to find another daycare. Since we DO love their child and want them here we wouldn't want that.
All I'm asking for is some respect for my time. I respect their's and don't prolong their drop off time with a long conversation or serious discussion and make them late for wherever they're going. And at pick up I try to have their child ready so they can get to their evening activities on time. Not everyone has something going on every evening, so on those days they take their time. Poviders have to get places too in the evening. Even if it's just getting home to take care of things there. Supper or whatever.
So can't parents and providers respect each other?
There are many times, I have to take my daughter to activities, religion, girl scout act. and meetings, eating out, or just start making supper for my own family.
DBug 06:27 AM 01-14-2011
Is there any chance you could have the toys cleaned up, chairs put up, a few lights turned off -- you know, make it look like closing time the way they do at restaurants and stores? Maybe it would help parents get the idea?

Personally, I also make sure to welcome the parents, spend a moment or two chatting about the day, and then start tidying with my back to them, or start talking about homework with my sons or telling them to get ready for whatever activity we're doing that night, just to kind of give them the idea that I have things to do and places to go. It works pretty well, and parents rarely stay after close -- the closer they are to closing, the quicker they leave .
dEHmom 06:30 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
Is there any chance you could have the toys cleaned up, chairs put up, a few lights turned off -- you know, make it look like closing time the way they do at restaurants and stores? Maybe it would help parents get the idea?

Personally, I also make sure to welcome the parents, spend a moment or two chatting about the day, and then start tidying with my back to them, or start talking about homework with my sons or telling them to get ready for whatever activity we're doing that night, just to kind of give them the idea that I have things to do and places to go. It works pretty well, and parents rarely stay after close -- the closer they are to closing, the quicker they leave .
This is how I am. Sitting there telling daughter to get her boots on, or hubby to warm the van up. LOL. Instead of me saying "sorry I gotta go" I use the subtle approach.
missnikki 06:31 AM 01-14-2011
I would say that the closer it is to closing time, the harder it is to let a parent dilly-dally. Also, the further past closing time, the more agitated the provider gets with the parent that doesn't respect business hours.

We all know that sometimes we need/ want to discuss things with the parent at pick up, but if they come late then it really ties your hands and makes it difficult on top of an already long day.

So to answer the OP's question, if I'm reading these responses correctly, we can for the most part say that we all set our hours for different reasons, and it is not fair when a parent crosses that (or any) line repeatedly. It is how you feel about it that should determine if it is right to point out. Some aren't as bound to their hours, and can afford the extra time. If you can't, then yes, it is fair to request that it stops.
Tags:pick up, pick up policy, policy
Reply Up