Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ringing The Doorbell..
jen 09:27 AM 03-21-2011
I have one daycare family that arrives at 6:30 am. It is rare for anyone else to be here much before 7:30. Two of my kids don't need to get up until at least 7:15. When dck rings the doorbell, the dogs start barking and it wakes up my kids. I've asked daycare parents NOT to allow the child to ring the doorbell, but he continues to do it. When he does, the look at me like, "what do we do!" He is 3 yo.

I told my dh to please disconnect the doorbell. I have never had this be a problem before, it seems so odd to me. I would NEVER allow my child to blantently disrespect the rules at someones home. Has anyone else had this problem?

In all other respects, this is a great family; perhaps a bit overwhelmed, but a great family so I'm not overly upset, but my kids don't like daycare as it is, and this isn't helping.
JenNJ 09:39 AM 03-21-2011
I would tell them that if they ring the doorbell and wake the dogs and your kids, they will need to return home or to the car to wait until 7:30 along with your other clients. Because they woke everyone, they have to wait until your children are fed, dressed, and ready for the day. And now you have to let the dogs out, supervise them, feed them, etc. And you can't possibly do all that and make little Jr. wait for you. After all, he MUST need constant supervision since he touches that doorbell so quick they can't stop him.

Just kidding.... sort of.
squareone 09:46 AM 03-21-2011
This would annoy me too. When I started my early family I explained that the rest of my family would still be sleeping when they arrive. I asked them to knock first instead of ringing the doorbell. There was one time I didn't hear them knock and they were soooo apologetic for having to ring the bell.

Good idea to have hubby diconnect the bell - that will definitely solve the problem. It shouldn't have to come to that though. Hopefully someone else has another suggestion.
jen 09:46 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would tell them that if they ring the doorbell and wake the dogs and your kids, they will need to return home or to the car to wait until 7:30 along with your other clients. Because they woke everyone, they have to wait until your children are fed, dressed, and ready for the day. And now you have to let the dogs out, supervise them, feed them, etc. And you can't possibly do all that and make little Jr. wait for you. After all, he MUST need constant supervision since he touches that doorbell so quick they can't stop him.

Just kidding.... sort of.
LOL...I did wonder how quickly it would stop if I charged them an incovenience fee...LOL
WImom 11:21 AM 03-21-2011
Could you put a sign out there on top of the door bell? Please don't ring before ____. Move the door bell higher?

Really you shouldn't need to do any of this....how rude of the parents to let this continue.
wdmmom 11:39 AM 03-21-2011
I agree with WImom. You shouldn't have to disconnect the doorbell or move it but if you want it to stop, you might just have to resort to it. If I had the problem, I'd either put tape over it, put a sign out saying "out of order" or "don't ring doorbell before ___ or after ___" or just tell the mom, "i'm sorry to have to ask you again, but could you please not ring the bell in the morning." Hopefully they'll be intelligent enough to comply with your request.
daycare 11:48 AM 03-21-2011
I think that some families are just loud in general and don't realize that they are louder than normal. I have a family that is the first to arrive, and they know this. They arrive at 7am. My husband works nights and he gets to sleep for 3 hours before he has to go off to his second job. All of my familes are aware of this. when the DCK arrives, he pounds the door down, kicks it, and so does the DCD, its soooooo annoying. I am always running to open the door before they can do this as it wakes eveyone in my house.... I even have a sign on the door that says if you are entering before 7:30am please have respect for my family that is still sleeping and enter quietly.....................after a year of weekly reminders, they don't seem to get it................
nannyde 12:06 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I have one daycare family that arrives at 6:30 am. It is rare for anyone else to be here much before 7:30. Two of my kids don't need to get up until at least 7:15. When dck rings the doorbell, the dogs start barking and it wakes up my kids. I've asked daycare parents NOT to allow the child to ring the doorbell, but he continues to do it. When he does, the look at me like, "what do we do!" He is 3 yo.

I told my dh to please disconnect the doorbell. I have never had this be a problem before, it seems so odd to me. I would NEVER allow my child to blantently disrespect the rules at someones home. Has anyone else had this problem?

In all other respects, this is a great family; perhaps a bit overwhelmed, but a great family so I'm not overly upset, but my kids don't like daycare as it is, and this isn't helping.
Is it within the reach of the child or is dad lifting him?
jen 12:29 PM 03-21-2011
It's within reach...
nannyde 12:57 PM 03-21-2011
It's within reach...
I would just go outside with Dad and teach him how to block the childs access to the doorbell by putting his body in between the child and the door bell.

Have the child walk up to your step BEHIND Dad and then have Dad stand in between the child and the bell.

That will get the message across without being accusatory. Just show him how to do it. You can say that you have had this with him before and this is what you do....
jen 03:17 PM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would just go outside with Dad and teach him how to block the childs access to the doorbell by putting his body in between the child and the door bell.

Have the child walk up to your step BEHIND Dad and then have Dad stand in between the child and the bell.

That will get the message across without being accusatory. Just show him how to do it. You can say that you have had this with him before and this is what you do....
Well that does sound simple doesn't it! LOL! It just seems so odd to me that I would need to do this, but if is solves the problem without having to do anything to the doorbell, so be it!
MN Day Mom 05:37 PM 03-21-2011
You shouldn't have to do anything to compensate for the parents lack of control of their child and their lack of respect for your family.

I would simply tell them again that your door bell is not to be rung in the mornings when they arrive and if it continues that they will no longer be allowed to arrive before your family is awake.

Can the child understand that this is not okay? My 3 year olds would and I might be putting a consequence on them also for ringing the bell that early.
nannyde 03:12 AM 03-22-2011
Well that does sound simple doesn't it! LOL! It just seems so odd to me that I would need to do this, but if is solves the problem without having to do anything to the doorbell, so be it!
Yes when the Dad gives you the "what can you do?" body language then you can give him the "where's here's what you do" response.

You can be sweet about it. When it happens again just answer the door as you are going out of it and say. "Well I can see your telling him not to do it isn't working... here's what I do with the kids when they are try to get to the doorbell button."

It's claiming the spot and the action gives Dad no other choice but to believe you are serious. If he gets to it again then you can work out a plan where the Dad calls you from your driveway and you come to the door before he gets out of the driveway so YOU can block the kids access to it.
PitterPatter 03:12 AM 03-22-2011
[quote=jen;95546]I have one daycare family that arrives at 6:30 am. It is rare for anyone else to be here much before 7:30. Two of my kids don't need to get up until at least 7:15. When dck rings the doorbell, the dogs start barking and it wakes up my kids. I've asked daycare parents NOT to allow the child to ring the doorbell, but he continues to do it. When he does, the look at me like, "what do we do!" He is 3 yo.

Oh I hate that!! I have a 2 yr old that CANNOT reach the doorbell and I have asked many times please don't ring it so early. I always get the same reply "I'm sorry he likes to ring the bell" So now when he does it I open the door and don't greet them with the cheery smiles. Instead I just stand there like u know what u did and she will say "Sorry it's him not me. I know not to ring it but he can't keep him fingers off" OMG Then step away from the door!!! He's 2 he cant reach she stands there and holds him. DUH! Everyday when they leave he has to push it again. If they are in a hurry and rush past it he will whine and she will still bring him back to the door so he can push it. Spoiled much?
nannyde 03:30 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
Oh I hate that!! I have a 2 yr old that CANNOT reach the doorbell and I have asked many times please don't ring it so early. I always get the same reply "I'm sorry he likes to ring the bell" So now when he does it I open the door and don't greet them with the cheery smiles. Instead I just stand there like u know what u did and she will say "Sorry it's him not me. I know not to ring it but he can't keep him fingers off" OMG Then step away from the door!!! He's 2 he cant reach she stands there and holds him. DUH! Everyday when they leave he has to push it again. If they are in a hurry and rush past it he will whine and she will still bring him back to the door so he can push it. Spoiled much?
The kids behavior wouldn't bother me that much. He's still little.

I would be much more worried about the parents behavior in this. When you tell her that you don't want the doorbell rang and she allows it then that means she doesn't respect YOU. That's not good.

That's the part that would have to be addressed. What she is saying to you is that his happiness during the split second of pushing the button is more important than your rule, your kids happines/sleep, and you.

I don't mean this harshly..... truly I don't... but the parent is the one misbehaving and you are spoiling her by allowing it.

Providers think these "little things" don't matter but they matter A LOT. They define your relationship. You ask for so little... (don't let the toddler press the button) and the parents defy it. Not good for business. It's a brick in the wall of noncompliance of whatever else their kid or they want.
QualiTcare 04:39 AM 03-22-2011
are you sure the dad is standing right there while the child is ringing the bell? if i had to guess, i would think the child takes off running once he's out of the car and rings the bell. my son used to do that at a daycare center. it was never a big deal if he ran ahead of me to the door bc it was only a few feet away and he couldn't reach the bell...but then he grew. maybe this is the pattern this dck has gotten into since before he could hit the bell. so now the dad would need to have everything in order before letting dck out of the car.
nannyde 05:34 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
are you sure the dad is standing right there while the child is ringing the bell? if i had to guess, i would think the child takes off running once he's out of the car and rings the bell. my son used to do that at a daycare center. it was never a big deal if he ran ahead of me to the door bc it was only a few feet away and he couldn't reach the bell...but then he grew. maybe this is the pattern this dck has gotten into since before he could hit the bell. so now the dad would need to have everything in order before letting dck out of the car.
Yes
this is why the technique includes the child walking BEHIND him to the door or if he's a runner... alongside of him with holding the child's hand... and then stepping ahead of the child on the step to block the button.
jen 05:52 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
It has happened both ways, parents right there and not...the same child also runs through our landscaping, which my husband has told them on several occassions NOT to allow. It is clear that this child should walk WITH the parent or BEHIND the parent. If he isn't old enough to refrain from unacceptable behaviors, then he should be allowed to run to the door on his own.

We have 8 daycare kids and this in the ONLY daycare child that has ever had this problem on a long term basis. In every other circumstance, we have asked the parent not to allow specific behaviors and they have complied. I don't think this parent is trying to be disrespectful, I think that they are completely overwhelmed with the activity level of this particular child.

PS: I shouldn't have ONLY blamed Dad, Mom does it too. It's just that Dad looks more befuddled by the whole thing! LOL!
marniewon 07:14 AM 03-22-2011
It has happened both ways, parents right there and not...the same child also runs through our landscaping, which my husband has told them on several occassions NOT to allow. It is clear that this child should walk WITH the parent or BEHIND the parent. If he isn't old enough to refrain from unacceptable behaviors, then he should be allowed to run to the door on his own.

We have 8 daycare kids and this in the ONLY daycare child that has ever had this problem on a long term basis. In every other circumstance, we have asked the parent not to allow specific behaviors and they have complied. I don't think this parent is trying to be disrespectful, I think that they are completely overwhelmed with the activity level of this particular child.

PS: I shouldn't have ONLY blamed Dad, Mom does it too. It's just that Dad looks more befuddled by the whole thing! LOL!
If they are overwhelmed by his energy/behavior, whatever, then they need to either be holding his hand all the way to your door or carrying him.

I'm just so confused, trying to picture why in the world this kid runs through your landscaping and rings your doorbell when you've asked the parents to not let this happen. Do they just stand there and let little jr run wild? Do they not understand that they are the parents and can (and should!!) take control of the situation? Holding his hand, carrying him, telling him NO are just a few things that come to my mind. Very confused as to why they are not capable of doing any of those things to control their child.
Tags:disrespect, door bell, early arrival, rules
Reply Up