Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Think So
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:08 AM 06-15-2010
The mom of the 4 year old boy that irritates me came in a little earlier today and proceeds to tell me that the boy kept her up until 1a.m. last night wanting to play with cars. I think she was trying to throw me a hint about daytime napping because when I had this boy back in Jan. for a couple of weeks she wrote on the intro papers to wake him up after 1/2 hour of napping, otherwise he won't sleep at night.

Well the one time he didn't take a nap here last week he gave me a hard time by mid-afternoon. Sorry, but I will not wake him up if he's napping to make my day miserable..he takes a normal length 1 1/2-2 hour nap.

Today the boy is coughing like crazy..mom said she gave him a clariton but he's hacking all over the place without covering his mouth. Did I mention this mom irritates me!
Daycare Mommy 05:52 AM 06-15-2010
Ask her if it ever occurred to her that perhaps he stayed up because.. Oh, I don't know.... maybe because HE'S SICK?!?! No it's always the evil nap monster to blame. I don't know how your illness policy is, but if anyone comes in hacking over here they are sent right back out with mom. If they have a mild cold or allergies the symptoms need to be effectively treated before coming to daycare. That way we all don't get coughed on for 30 minutes while waiting for the meds to kick in.
momofboys 06:00 AM 06-15-2010
Is this the family you are considering terminating? I think your life would be MUCH easier if you just bite the bullet & let them go.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:02 AM 06-15-2010
Exactly what I said...I told her do you think he stayed up because of all that coughing....then she said she thinks it's because his father was not home and wasn't getting home until very late..but something about the way she said it made me get the impression she wanted to tell me to not let him nap here so he will sleep at night....I require a quiet time and he happens to fall asleep...I'm not going to spend my entire 2 hours of quiet time trying to keep him awake. I honesty don't think some parents think about the fact that we don't JUST have their child to tend to.

She didn't say anything about not napping so that's a plus, I just have a feeling she was trying to throw a little hint.
Aya477 06:04 AM 06-15-2010
Mom may be irritating but also please consider that Claritin contains pseudoephedrine which could cause a child to be nervous and unable to sleep. Mom may be giving him the medication at night and not know the side effects.
Daycare Mommy 06:17 AM 06-15-2010
The kids' stuff doesn't have pseudoephedrine. Just Loratadine. I sincerely doubt it will touch his cough unless it is allergy related, and even then probably not. Sounds to me like kiddo could use some Sudafed in addition to the regular (non-decongestant) Claritin.
Aya477 06:37 AM 06-15-2010
Ah, loratadine in the children's version of Claritin.....also linked to nervousness and hyperactivity.
Childminder 07:15 AM 06-15-2010
Naps here are until the child is full time in school. Not my rule but the states though I love the rule. Some just lay there quietly but very rarely do they not sleep. As far as the cough benedryl is ok at night for his symptoms in addition to his once a day loratidine at least that is what the allergy docs around here prescribe for chronic allergy sufferers.

Sunshine, I wouldn't let her bother you with the nap comment. It's her problem at night, she has to deal with it when he doesn't sleep. Just like it's your problem if you don't give him a nap.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:23 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by Aya477:
Mom may be irritating but also please consider that Claritin contains pseudoephedrine which could cause a child to be nervous and unable to sleep. Mom may be giving him the medication at night and not know the side effects.
Ahhhh..I NEVER thought about that!! Good point..I was taking adult Clariton a couple of weeks ago for bad allergies and I had insomnia. I was certain it was from the medicine.
Daycare Mommy 08:14 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by Aya477:
Ah, loratadine in the children's version of Claritin.....also linked to nervousness and hyperactivity.
lol Real nice. I had no idea! I should've thought about that though. That everyone can be effected differently by meds. Benadryl will knock most kids out, but I've got a little girl that bounces off the wall on that stuff.
MarinaVanessa 08:54 AM 06-15-2010
lol Maybe your DC mom and one of my DC moms are cut from the same cloth. I have a DC mom that asks me how much time and how many naps her son is taking every time he stays up late. I don't know how many times I have to tell you lady but the answer will never change. He takes two naps a short one if he's here before 9am and his afternoon nap of 1 1/2 hours (he's an infant). He used to get a full 3 hours of sleep before but she complained that he was sleeping too much so I cut his morning nap down to just 30 minutes for you lady. He's not getting his full day's worth of sleep... could it be that maybe he's overly tired?? Could it be that you let him play with toys until 9pm or later instead of swaddling him or just putting him in his crib and turning the lights and TV off? Could it be that you don't wake him or yourself up until 9am some days so he won't nap well at daycare so by the time you pick him up he's fussy and tired and falls asleep on the way home and you let him nap until he wakes up at 6 or 7pm? (all of which she has mentioned, confirmed and admitted to doing).
gbcc 08:55 AM 06-15-2010
Too bad it didn't occur to mom that the real issues is just probably because she doesn't know how to set boundries so instead of being the bad guy he is able to play in a vehicle, play cars at 1am, and what ever else he darn well pleases.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:25 AM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Too bad it didn't occur to mom that the real issues is just probably because she doesn't know how to set boundries so instead of being the bad guy he is able to play in a vehicle, play cars at 1am, and what ever else he darn well pleases.
You nailed it on the head! I told her in our conversation that my daughter would give us an issue with sleeping when she was 2 1/2-3 1/2 and that we had to set our foot down with her. Wonder if she got that hint, lol. You have to put your foot down or they will play you like a piano. Been there, done that..I know what I'm talking about!
Tags:4 year old, napping
Reply Up