Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 Year Old dcg....
tenderhearts 02:34 PM 10-29-2010
I posted a few days ago about a 4 yr old dcg that I have had since she was about 7 mo. old. In the last few months she has become very mean, rude and pouty to everyone. She never wants anyone to play with her but the gets very pouty and mad when she asks others if she can play with them and they say no, I dont' blame them one bit, then she gets mad and then will call them rude ect. I've tried telling her that when she's never nice to them then maybe that's why they don't want to play with her. I try talking to her about being a "friend" and she just puts on this pouty face ALL the time. So today we did a halloween craft and we were going to do a picture with all the kids when we were done. Everyone is smiling for the picture and she is literally pouting, hands up to her face, I said what's wrong? she said I don't want to smile. So I said well then why don't you just get out of the picture, so she sits out poutying and one of the other girls asked her why she wasn't happy and she just made this mean face at her so I said well maybe you need some more "quiet time" and put her back in "quiet time" for her to rest more. Is this normal for a 4 yr old girl? I've never had a girl act like this in my care even my own daughter. How would you handle this, just ignore it? It's so irritating looking at someone who is pouting for absolutley no reason, it ruins it for everyone else.
Any thoughts on what to do??? I've mentioned to dad how she's been acting towards her friends and he talks with her but it's been alot in the last couple months. I don't want to term her, she's been with me for 4 years, she will only be with me through the end of next summer anyways.
tenderhearts 04:01 PM 10-29-2010
She is now making mean faces holding her ears saying it's too loud and it's NOT too loud she just doesn't like hearing anyone talk. good grief....I told her that if she doesn't want to hear anyone or be around anyone that she needs to dismiss herself and go into the other room. IF she is pouting and acting that way then I"LL take her in there, is that what I should do???
DCMomOf3 04:09 PM 10-29-2010
I would say if she doesn't want to participate that is fine, but do not change your activity because she is not happy. I would tell her she has a choice, participate or color quietly in the corner facing away from you and the other kids. (That way she can make as many faces as she wants and you won't notice. )
tenderhearts 04:32 PM 10-29-2010
That's what I have her do when we're doing activities BUT what do I have her do when she's just doing that all day long just playing or when someone looks at her, or talks to her or when others are talking? We all try to ignore it but it's hard when she's making whining sounds and pouting, holding her ears. I just dont' understand why it's happening now, she's an only child, only thing I can think of but again why now I dont' know, I've had a huge change over in my group (but these kids are sooooo much easier and better than the others she was "raised"with), but this has been at least 3 + months ago, her behaviour has gradually gotten worse in the last month or a little more, she's always been kind of whiny but not like this.
SandeeAR 04:35 PM 10-29-2010
Was she more "in charge" of the previous group??? If so, maybe she doesn't think this group will let her tell them what to do?
tenderhearts 04:46 PM 10-29-2010
No BUT she was the only girl, she didn't "play" with anyone in particular in the other group necessarily, I mean they played with her but she has always like coloring and puzzles the other group played with cars, she did but I don't know, there is another girl that started with me back in April so she's been here quite awhile now, but she is very outgoing, more loud, plays with everyone and everyone likes playing with her, but this dcg just doesn't really like playing much with anyone, well only on "her terms" when she wants to play she expects them to play with her, when she doesn't want them to play she's just down right mean about it. I just need some suggestions on how to curb this, I've never "spoiled" her because she was the only girl either. I've tried talking to her, asking her what's wrong with her only making mad sounds crossing her arms and just saying I dont' want to.
Tags:4 year old, bully, mean child
Reply Up