Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time For a 4 year Old
newtodaycare22 12:42 PM 11-19-2010
Right now I have 2 three year olds who nap (full time). I have a 4 year old who does not nap and I let her do quiet activities like puzzles, coloring etc..

I have a potential 4 year old coming to visit this weekend, who is leaving their current large center because of nap time. They require her to lay down and she will not do it. I really would like to fill the spot...but I'm not prepared for a fight every day at nap. Do you think it's ok to allow her to do quiet activities in the other room (QUIET), where I check on her occasionally? Obviously, she'll always be where I can hear her...but hopefully that's not a problem

Just curious on your rules for non sleepers. Thanks!
Gurdy 12:55 PM 11-19-2010
IMO- 4 year olds still need naps.
If you already have one 4 year old that does not nap and is quiet, that may no longer be the case if you add a second 4 yr old to the mix. Two 4 year olds could get pretty noisy.

I would also question the family- they are pulling her out a center because they make her lay down? What are they going to eventually pull her out of your care for? I would really think about this before starting this child, sounds like this family could end up causing you more grief then its worth.
Live and Learn 01:08 PM 11-19-2010
in my opinion for year olds need naps.
Afternoon naps are sacred to me. I wouldn't take on a family who said that I couldn't have their lil four year old nap or at the minimum lay down with books.
that is just me.
newtodaycare22 01:19 PM 11-19-2010
In my area, prek is for 4 year olds (public schools). They have no rest time and obviously none in kindergarten either...so I have a hard time making a 4 year old get used to a nap when next year it will not be allowed, period.

I do think they need to rest quietly...but you guys don't think 2 hours is a LONG time to rest with just books??
busymomof2 01:53 PM 11-19-2010
I have all preschool kids 3- 4 yo, 1- 3yo and my 9 mo old. They all nap because I don't allow them not to. LOL. I have found if the kids don't nap they are different children. It was a fight with all the kids including my 4 yo but I put my foot down and said you can lay there and nap or stare at the ceiling for 2 hours it's up to you. I do give incentives for napping like chocolate milk, extra outside play, cartoons for a bit, etc. Also if a child does not nap I tell their parents because they all signed my policy & procedures that state that nap time is required and is in preparation for kindergarten (here kids nap in kinder). All my parents support me on this. Not to mention I NEED my quiet time too otherwise I will go crazy and burn out. If I were you I would make it clear that naps are required for you to do necc paperwork and planning. Then I would take away the books and what else the 4yo plays with and have them lay there. Believe me they will get bored and fall asleep...I have seen it happen. Then it will become routine and know what to expect. I had one 4 dck tell me why does she sleep the whole day away I laughed inside but kept to my guns now she naps just as the others do every day for 2 long quiet restful hours. THANK GOD FOR NAP TIME!
Live and Learn 02:08 PM 11-19-2010
Busy mom of 2..... Well said and exactly correct in my opinion. I don't want to be around any four year old who hasn't napped!! Aftenoon nap is the only time all day that I can think straight. I would rather do without the income than have a four year old up during afternoon nap. NO WAY!
nannyde 02:23 PM 11-19-2010
I don't provide services to families where the children don't need a full afternoon nap. I wouldn't interview them.

I think there is a really big market out there for keeping kids up at nap. It's the hottest ticket in town. If you can hack it go for it. I don't know how successful anyone is at the "quiet activities" during nap but it's worth a try.

You may want to check your States supervision regs. You may not be able to allow her to be up and playing in another room without your direct supervision.
Crystal 02:32 PM 11-19-2010
I'd do it.

I'd offer her the opportunity to stay up and play quietly, but inform her that if she cannot comply with that, then she will have to lay down and nap. Tell the parents the same thing, and let them know that you expect them to discuss this with the child and that you expect that they will help to enforce the rule. There will be no crying to Mommy and Daddy and getting them to intervene with the provider if she is not following the direction of playing quietly while the other children are sleeping.

And, I have known lots of four year olds who did NOT need a nap, my own children included.
QualiTcare 02:38 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
In my area, prek is for 4 year olds (public schools). They have no rest time and obviously none in kindergarten either...so I have a hard time making a 4 year old get used to a nap when next year it will not be allowed, period.

I do think they need to rest quietly...but you guys don't think 2 hours is a LONG time to rest with just books??
i agree. some four year olds nap and a LOT of them don't. 2 hours IS a long time for a 4 year old to lie still with books. i know you know this being a kindergarten teacher. i would just tell the parents the plan. if she's coming from a place where she was forced to lie down, she should have no problems doing quiet activities where she has some mobility. i think it's great that you're willing to do it and i wish more people would.
nannyde 02:51 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
And, I have known lots of four year olds who did NOT need a nap, my own children included.
Yup

There's no bottom age limit for who doesn't need a nap. That just comes with doing day care.

I don't make a judgement on whether or not they need a nap. I believe that there are children as young as young infants that don't need a nap. I don't do nap for the sake of the kids. I do it for me.

I don't know how providers keep kids up at nap. I couldn't imagine it. I wouldn't last a week.

I do know that kids that get consistent deep long naps every day mid day do really well. They go to bed easily for their parents at night and they are super great to have around during the day. I don't know what kids who don't nap look like or how they fare because I don't have experience with those kids.
countrymom 05:00 PM 11-19-2010
my 4 yr olds don't nap, because here in canada they go to all go to jk (its like preschool) so because they don't nap at school, they don't nap here either. BUT they are required to play quietly and most of the time it works. I also find that they enjoy the time to themselves withou the little kids.
melskids 05:37 PM 11-19-2010
i am sooo gonna be the minority here...lol, but...

i dont make my kids nap.

right now all the little ones do, but the 4 yr old (who is only here when her full day preschool is closed) and the SA when they are here all day, dont nap.

i dont feel right making a child sit on a mat for 2 hrs with just a book, but thats JMO.

however, we have an understanding of how quiet time is to be. they stay in the living/dining room while the nappers are in the DC room. (which my layout is all open, so if i position myself in the middle, i can see everyone) they color, do puzzles, that sort of thing. they know its nothing above a whisper while the others are sleeping. the minute it goes above that, they have to go lay on a mat. after the first time of that happening, they never do it again

i actually like the older ones up at nap. after spending all morning telling them, "in a minute the baby needs (fill in the blank)", or pulling the toddlers off of the buildings they create, its nice to be able to spend some quality time with them doing crafts or playing board games without the little ones interrupting.

and as far as me needing a break, i kinda take a break whenever i want. if they are playing nicely, i may sit at the table for a few minutes and read some of a magazine, or pop on here. i can even sit right on the floor in the middle of screaming babies and tantruming toddlers and completely zone out. noise doesnt bother me, and i dont need them to be asleep to get a break. dont get me wrong though, i'm still supervising. i have just gotten really good at ignoring the noise. my hubby can talk for hours at a time about his job, and i cant recall a thing he says i think it comes from a LOUD family upbringing of fighting and arguing, not in a bad way, just that they all like to debate everything really loudly. everyone always called our family the "loud family" or the "loud house". LOL

but of course this is just me. and its what works for me.
SunflowerMama 06:08 PM 11-19-2010
I have five 4yr olds and they are all great nappers...thank goodness . All of them sleep at least 2 1/2 hrs each day and 2 of them I always have to wake at 3hrs.

Like someone else said, afternoon naptime for me is sacred. Even those children that mom and dad said wouldn't nap...eventually fall into the routine with the other kids and are sleeping soundly for those 2+hrs within a day or so.
nannyde 01:19 AM 11-20-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i am sooo gonna be the minority here...lol, but...

i dont make my kids nap.
Naw I think you are right on the money and do what most providers on this board do.

I don't make my kids nap. They just move to another day care when they don't need a full afternoon nap. I don't have ANY kids in my house that are forced to nap. If at ANY time the kid doesn't need a full afternoon nap they just leave the day care.

I think most providers here do that. Once the kid doesn't need a nap they have outgrown their program and they move on.

What makes you unique is that you KEEP kids that don't nap. That's very different than being unique that you don't MAKE kids nap.

The way you take your breaks wouldn't work for me. I need a full long afternoon break where the only interaction with the children is checking on them while they sleep. I personally could not rest even having one kid up watching a movie and being super quiet. I like the long break where I don't have to supervise the kids playing or being awake. That's a break to me.

I'm so glad my kids LOVE their naps. They snooooooooze all the way thru it until they are 5 to 6 depending on when they go to Kindy. I've only lost one kid over not needing a nap but he was an infant. I believed his parents when they said he just needed to stay up when he wanted and they moved him to a day care that did cat nap naps when HE wanted.
kidkair 04:29 AM 11-20-2010
I would love to find a four year old who doesn't routinely need a nap. I have a 4 year old who doesn't nap right now and she just lies around not doing anything. She knows I have other stuff to do and doesn't complain but she also won't do anything on her own. When I have a SA here they quietly play together with stuffed animals, crafting stuff, puzzles, and games. It took maybe a week last summer to get them to remember to be very quiet during nap but after that I really enjoyed the two playing quietly while I worked or zoned out a bit on the computer. My set up is a half wall divides my office and a crafting area from the main toy room and the dining room is in direct line of the office. The 4 year old and SA are allowed to play in the craft area and the toy room and all the other kids sleep in the dining room. If they forget to stay quiet then one has to stay in the craft area and the other in the toy room or I send the SA outside. When the 4 year old needs a nap she still stays in the toy room because it's not darkened and she wakes up better if it's always light where she's napping. I stand up every 10 minutes and check on the sleepers and stretch my body and then return to the computer or I'll wander around doing some cleaning and such.
Former Teacher 11:05 AM 11-20-2010
As you all know I work full time as a nanny. My DH works nights so I am extremely bored on the weekends. I decided to start a babysitting job on the side. I babysat for this one family ONE TIME. I am still debating whether or not I will do it again.

Mom is a nurse on the weekends, dad is a doctor. They needed me because the dad had to go out of town one weekend. It was for 2 kids: 2.5 y.o girl and a 5 week baby boy. At the interview, mom had said that the 2.5 year old does not nap. Umm ok. She said she is up from 8:00 a.m. until at least 9:00 p.m. and she goes strong the entire time. I was like ok sure. She explained to me it would be a long day for me because of the hours and the fact that she will not nap. I told her that was fine, I have dealt with children with no naps before.

I was there from 6:30 a.m.-7:45 p.m. The girl woke up at 8:05 a.m. and she did not nap. She was great all morning. I turned on tv for her and she did relax but would not sleep. Baby was perfect

Anyway by 5:30ish, the girl was sassy, crabby, and just a plain brat. I explained to mom that I believe it was because no nap blah blah. Her excuse? "no, I am just surprised she had a great morning, she is usually like that all day for me"....um ok

Like I said I dont know if I want to watch them again. The money was fantastic..it paid for at least 2 weeks of groceries but I don't know if the stress is worth it.
WImom 03:39 PM 11-21-2010
I make them all lay down for 30 minutes and then after 30 minutes they have to stay on their mat and look at books for another 30 minutes and if they are quiet they can get up after that and come in the other room with me and do quiet activities.

Our state requires all children under age 5 to lay down and rest. They also have rest time on mats in Kindergarten at our elem. schools.
Unregistered 08:13 PM 11-22-2010
For teachers and parents looking for something to help children rest quietly after they have out grown naps, check out these story CD's. Created by a day care teacher for her students who were required to rest at day care center, but no longer slept. Over an hour of stories on each CD. Parents use them at home for day time rest, or for bed time. go to web site NaptimeNanny.com for reviews and info. (Recommended by Early Childhood News)
Unregistered 10:29 AM 11-23-2010
I am required by my state to have a rest period for all kids under the age of 6. I don't force them to sleep, but I do require that they lay quietly for a while and for the older kids, I lay books, paper and markers by their cots so that when they are done resting, they have quiet activities to do. So far, none of them have used their quiet activity time because they're too busy sleeping!
newtodaycare22 11:19 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
For teachers and parents looking for something to help children rest quietly after they have out grown naps, check out these story CD's. Created by a day care teacher for her students who were required to rest at day care center, but no longer slept. Over an hour of stories on each CD. Parents use them at home for day time rest, or for bed time. go to web site NaptimeNanny.com for reviews and info. (Recommended by Early Childhood News)
Thanks so much for that! The parents were just telling me yesterday that they are trying stories on tape but the stories were all one speaker and monotone. I also suggested recording themselves reading, so she can her her own parents read her a story at nap.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:25 PM 11-24-2010
I think nap is really important for children of all ages, whether or not they actually allow themselves to go to sleep. We had the school agers today along with the normal kids and everyone went to sleep just like usual, except the schoolagers. A 7 yr old did everything he possibly could do to stay awake. His favorite was making noise right beside one of the little ones napping. If I'd remind him he had to be quieter, he'd get mad and just get louder. I made him stay on his cot because he will not stay quiet if he's not (the others lay on their cots with books or other quiet activities with no problem). But the 7 yr old would wait til I turned my back so I could do some lunch cleanup, then he'd tap on a younger one and whisper, "wake up". So I had to move him so he wasn't beside anyone and also so I could keep an eye on him. By the time everyone woke up, everyone was in a great mood, except the 7 yr old who had not napped. Awful attitude, trying to start arguments with the others, pestering the younger ones, you name it. So although he "doesn't nap", he sure did need one! (by the time it was over I needed one after dealing with that the whole time! My mood wasn't the best either...!)So hopefully your new 4 yr old isn't the "won't nap, but needs a nap" type!
Tags:4 year old, nap time
Reply Up