Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG & Messy Diapers
happykidschildcare 01:28 PM 03-23-2011
Its started about 3 mos ago the lil girl was on anitbiotics for her ear infections and of course that gave her loose stools and a yeast infection to boot. But still months later the dcg has loose/blow outs 95% of the time and the constant messy diapers are making her rear end raw, so I told dcm to take her to the dr. this was last week, Dcm says shes waiting for stool results, meanwhile we have a cream for her irriatations, but Im still dealing with the mess. My question is wwyd? I thought about telling her she cant be in DC til she gets it cleared up, but dcm is on dshs & student & cant miss class without being repremended. But it doesnt seem fair that I have to deal with the mess meanwhile...
SilverSabre25 01:37 PM 03-23-2011
I'm not sure what I would do about the girl, but I can fully understand not wanting to deal with the mess.

Have they looked into whether it's being caused by lactose intolerance? Sometimes when the gut flora get seriously messed up, a person can develop lactose intolerance for awhile. It might not clear up until they take dairy out of their diet.

Trialing her off cow's milk products as well as making sure she's on a really good probiotic supplement could make a world of difference. If it is LI, they should see improvement VERY quickly, but should keep her off it completely for about two weeks to make sure.
happykidschildcare 02:06 PM 03-23-2011
DCM asked for my opinion, I said by the looks of whats going on my guess would be that the milk is the issue and that she needed to get a dr's opinion. Urging mom to take her to the dr after a week of blow outs and the dcg bum started to actually bleed for the irritations. Lab results should tell whats going on this friday. Poor lil girls touche looks so painful, I know Id be crying if it was my rear-end! dcg is 18 mos so the timing with the change in milk in diet would have been about 5 mos ago so it all adds up to me.
SilverSabre25 02:10 PM 03-23-2011
Well good luck! Hopefully it is just the milk and that's a pretty simple (and fast!) fix. Definitely suggest probiotics, too, if you haven't already. Those will help restore the proper gut flora and help her digestion.

If mom needs advice on a milk substitute, almond, coconut, or hemp are probably the best ways to go. Soy should be avoided due to the close relationship between dairy issues and soy issues, as well as substantial evidence suggesting that too much soy in one's diet can interfere with proper hormone levels (estrogen being the main hormone in question).
countrymom 03:04 AM 03-24-2011
try giving her yogurt for a couple days and only water. NO JUICE. Don't expect it to go away right away but it will. If after a week it doesn't then elimanate milk.
morgan24 03:53 AM 03-24-2011
Have your tried the brat diet..bananas, rice,applesauce & toast? I would definately add yogurt with probitics. It sucks you have to deal with the messy diapers, but I consider it part of the job. I wouldn't make her keep her out until it's cleared up.
nannyde 04:12 AM 03-24-2011
I would be very concerned about viral diarrhea. Anything more than two loose stools in one day would be an exclusion until they had normal stools for a full 24 hours.

You need a Doctors diagnosis to make a decision about whether or not she can return.

If you are going to keep her than require premium diapers in her size and a second layer diaper in one size above to put over her first diaper. Double diaper here every day with every diaper. That will help contain some of the blow thrus.
happykidschildcare 12:25 PM 03-25-2011
update...She still hasnt heard from the dr the ointment helped a lil mon & tue but she stopped bringing it to dc and wed her lil butt was bright red again. Now when I take her to the changing station she backs up from me, and doesnt want me too, and she just whales and cringes when changing her. Its friday 1 pm I texted mom and told her to come get her that shes just too cranky from her but and I have nothing to put on her. (norm ointments actually made her worse last week) the only thing I can do is vaseline. She was in so much pain today she didnt take her am nap and was just constantly crying.
BTW I did yogurt, rice pudding, cocunut milk, toast, shes not a fan of bananas but I mixed some in her applesauce and yogurt.
I was hoping DCM would get a call from dr today, I really dont want to deal with this next week its not fair for her or me.
Crystal 01:19 PM 03-25-2011
SHE needs to call the doctor instead of waiting to hear from the doctor.

Let's hope it's not rotavirus. If it is, she has exposed everyone in care.

Mom's problems about dshs and being a student are NOT your problems, nor the problems of the other children in care....although they may be if everyone else gets what she has. She should have not been allowed in care without a diagnosis.
SilverSabre25 01:34 PM 03-25-2011
at this point, regardless of what the doctor says, she really should just trial off dairy. Poor kid!

(if it was rotavirus I think you'd know...it has a very, VERY distinctive and nasty smell that is totally intolerable)
happykidschildcare 01:40 PM 03-25-2011
Yah Im a lil upset today at pickup I found out mom was on spring break, she was dropping the kids off but not going to school?? that just pisses me off.
nannyde 02:09 PM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
at this point, regardless of what the doctor says, she really should just trial off dairy. Poor kid!

(if it was rotavirus I think you'd know...it has a very, VERY distinctive and nasty smell that is totally intolerable)
Rotavirus is WICKED.

It smells like rotten eggs that have marinated in sewer juice for a couple of weeks of 110 degree weather.

If she does have rotavirus you can p.m. me and I will help you with the universal precautions for her diaper changes.
happykidschildcare 02:35 PM 03-25-2011
How should I word telling her that dcg needs a diagnoses from the dr to return to dc monday??
nannyde 02:55 PM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
How should I word telling her that dcg needs a diagnoses from the dr to return to dc monday??
I would just call her and tell her that she needs to have a diagnosis before the child returns to day care. There are some possibilities with diarrhea that could be contagious and you need to be certain that she is safe to be around the other kids. Tell her that you are concerned this may be rotavirus or a viral diahrrea.

I would also tell her that she is in too much pain with the rash to be in care. She needs to have relief and needs medical care to get that. What you guys are doing is not working.

If the Doc doesn't give her an answer by Monday then she will need to keep her home until he does. You need the answer IN WRITING. What is her diagnosis, treatment for the diarrhea and the rash. Do NOT accept a note saying she has something contagious and she can return as long as you do good handwashing.
happykidschildcare 10:55 PM 03-25-2011
To DCM:
I need a doctors note before DCG can come back to care. It needs to say her diagnosis, treatment for the diarrhea and the rash.
Because of the length & severity in her irregular bowels, blow outs, runny stools. I'm concerned this may be rotavirus or a viral diahrrea, which both are very contagious. For the safety of the other children, my licensor says that I need something on paper from her Doctor before letting her come back to daycare. We really need to get this cleared up asap,
I'm sorry for the inconvienence.

To me:
I have already taken her in for this issue and it is not a virus. DCB had the same issue when he was younger and they had stated that it was toddler diahrrea. She also has been vaccinated for the rotavirus. I will take her into the walk in clinic tomarrow morning and get the proper documentation for her to return to daycare on monday.
Thanks

So I guess we will hopefully get it fixed, Im taking a 3 day weekend so my assistant is in charge monday. Ive instructed her to make sure theres something signed by a dr monday morning before DCM leaves her.
Thanks ladies for your advice
happykidschildcare 01:42 PM 03-30-2011
finally got the dr report, everything is clear.
Dr recommended priobotics Both mom & me are doing that, today was the first day of a normal #2 yeah!!! Hopefully we will get this taken care of.
SilverSabre25 01:48 PM 03-30-2011
Good for the doctor on recommending probiotics! That's awesome! Hopefully this thing is cleared up for her from here on out.
happykidschildcare 06:08 PM 05-07-2011
Ok well after the DCM takes the lil girl in to the dr I get a print out with the doctor stating everything seems normal. Not really the same as asking for a diagnosis, but at least the dr agreed the lil girl needed priobotics so we made the switch, well the first 3 weeks she got much better, then she started going downhill again. I asked the DCM is she was sticking with the plan, and she says yes, but gave me that look like how dare i ask!!!! Now Ive been dealing with this going on 6 mos, I would say this is more then blow out diapers, this is more like projectile poop. Ive came to the conclusion that this is too physically exhausting for me, a 18 month old covered in poop 2+ times a day is just more then i signed up for. So I'm giving the DCM written notice monday morning, now for some advice from you girls? how do I word this?

This is just way to unsanitary for my setting, on top of equipment clean up and having to throw some stuff away. plus the extra cost I concur for her diet. Letting her go is a huge blow to my income her & sibling bring in a huge chunk of my income. So I didnt come to this decision lightly :-(

What would you say in a term letter to mom?
nannyde 06:39 PM 05-07-2011
Ok well after the DCM takes the lil girl in to the dr I get a print out with the doctor stating everything seems normal. Not really the same as asking for a diagnosis, but at least the dr agreed the lil girl needed priobotics so we made the switch, well the first 3 weeks she got much better, then she started going downhill again. I asked the DCM is she was sticking with the plan, and she says yes, but gave me that look like how dare i ask!!!! Now Ive been dealing with this going on 6 mos, I would say this is more then blow out diapers, this is more like projectile poop. Ive came to the conclusion that this is too physically exhausting for me, a 18 month old covered in poop 2+ times a day is just more then i signed up for. So I'm giving the DCM written notice monday morning, now for some advice from you girls? how do I word this?

This is just way to unsanitary for my setting, on top of equipment clean up and having to throw some stuff away. plus the extra cost I concur for her diet. Letting her go is a huge blow to my income her & sibling bring in a huge chunk of my income. So I didnt come to this decision lightly :-(

What would you say in a term letter to mom?
Can you just tell her what you told us? I would tell her you are very happy for her that she has been cleared medically but with this being HER normal it is clear that it isn't going to stop. You are only set up to care for kids that normal stool is soft, formed, and contained in the diaper. Her daughters normal requires more care than you are equipped to manage.

It's not personal so don't make it personal.
happykidschildcare 12:52 PM 05-09-2011
Nan yes I just wanted to be careful with my wording, she is my only dshs client. But your right, I should just be direct as I would be with any other client. Thanks!
happykidschildcare 01:14 PM 05-09-2011
Dear DCM
Let me start off by saying I adore your kids and enjoy taking care of them. I'm happy that DCG has been cleared medically but with this being HER normal diaper situation and if its not going to stop, I won't be able to continue care for her. Its just too physically demanding, and not exactly what I signed up for. I am only set up to care for kids that normal stool is soft, formed, and contained in the diaper. Your daughters normal requires more care than I am equipped to manage.
I would love to give you more time to get her diet strictly under control if you think that is possible? Ive talked to fellow providers and no one I know of would even let her stay in care until she had 1 week solid of normal diapers, regardless of medical. I can give you til June so dc sibling will be out of school and it wont be a major disruption.
If getting the situation onto a normal track isnt a possibilty then you are free to try and find someone that can handle DCG situation, I would definitly be honest up front with them or you will have many days in a row that someone will have to be picking her up.

Thanks
WDW 01:19 PM 05-09-2011
Dear DCM
Let me start off by saying I adore your kids and enjoy taking care of them. I'm happy that DCG has been cleared medically but with this being HER normal diaper situation and if its not going to stop, I won't be able to continue care for her. Its just too physically demanding, and not exactly what I signed up for. I am only set up to care for kids that normal stool is soft, formed, and contained in the diaper. Your daughters normal requires more care than I am equipped to manage.
I would love to give you more time to get her diet strictly under control if you think that is possible? Ive talked to fellow providers and no one I know of would even let her stay in care until she had 1 week solid of normal diapers, regardless of medical. I can give you til June so dc sibling will be out of school and it wont be a major disruption.
If getting the situation onto a normal track isnt a possibilty then you are free to try and find someone that can handle DCG situation, I would definitly be honest up front with them or you will have many days in a row that someone will have to be picking her up.

Thanks
I would not include anything about discussing it with other providers. "no one I know of would even let her stay in care until she had 1 week solid of normal diapers, regardless of medical"
happykidschildcare 01:23 PM 05-09-2011
Shes a young mother and I dont think shes taking the diaper situation serious enough, and I feel like Im doing my part on making the changes in the childs diet and shes just giving her whatever? I just thinks its important that she knows that its not JUST ME that will have an issue with this?
Symphony 01:28 PM 05-09-2011
I'm late to the party I guess seeing as you have decided to term, but I noticed she is on coconut milk? Are her parents aware this is a laxative?
happykidschildcare 01:36 PM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I'm late to the party I guess seeing as you have decided to term, but I noticed she is on coconut milk? Are her parents aware this is a laxative?
The dr said change her to priobotics, no soy. No I was unaware that coconut milk is too? But Ive been using vanilla almond milk?
happykidschildcare 01:50 PM 05-09-2011
well that changes everything, Im going to the store tonite and getting something that we can both use. I've looked online and seen a few recommendations, its gonna cost me, but Overall I wanna make this right
Symphony 01:57 PM 05-09-2011
Almond and rice milk are both ok (as far as I have ever learned). The cococut will definitely run through though, and especially on an already sensitive system.
happykidschildcare 08:23 AM 05-17-2011
ok well we switched her to a toddler formula, since she's almost 20 mos now she only has 1-2 servings and mommy only does 1-2 at home. Her diapers are back to normal, TG! and all is good in daycare. Onto another....A lil bummed I got served a 2 wk notice yesterday, Ive had the lil guy for 1 yr will be sad to see him go....is it weird to ask why they are leaving? im curious.
sharlan 08:42 AM 05-17-2011
Glad the messy diapers are under control.

Yes, I would ask the dcm why they are leaving. Maybe it's an issue that you can work on.
Tags:diapers, diapers - messy, messy
Reply Up