Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>**OFF TOPIC** Need Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations Please
Lucy 12:00 PM 04-11-2011
My vacuum has died a terrible death. Maybe it's because I've had it for 8-10 years!! Anyway, I was looking at a Shark Navigator Lift-Away. Do any of you have this? If so, what do you think? If not, what do you have and do you recommend it? Thanks!!
Michael 12:03 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
My vacuum has died a terrible death. Maybe it's because I've had it for 8-10 years!! Anyway, I was looking at a Shark Navigator Lift-Away. Do any of you have this? If so, what do you think? If not, what do you have and do you recommend it? Thanks!!
Don't have a Shark I have a Kirby. The best vac out there but pricey. http://www.greatvacs.com/education/K...uumReview.html
nannyde 12:05 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Don't have a Shark I have a Kirby. The best vac out there but pricey. http://www.greatvacs.com/education/K...uumReview.html
We have a Kirby too and it works great but it's heavy
DCMom 12:06 PM 04-11-2011
I have a Dyson *ducking from flying objects* and I hate that thing.

I went back to my 20 year old my Electrolux (now Aerus, I think). My dh and I were just talking about trading it in for the newer model. I'm hoping they will take the Dyson, too...
Lucy 12:06 PM 04-11-2011
That sounds great, but I should add that I really can't spend too much money on it. We don't like to use credit cards if we don't have to, so I'll be paying cash. I'm looking at $200 and under. Is that unreasonable? The Shark is $169, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk, so I wondered if anyone who has it could tell me if they like it.
Michael 12:30 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
That sounds great, but I should add that I really can't spend too much money on it. We don't like to use credit cards if we don't have to, so I'll be paying cash. I'm looking at $200 and under. Is that unreasonable? The Shark is $169, but I also don't want to buy a piece of junk, so I wondered if anyone who has it could tell me if they like it.
Here are some reviews with pros and cons: http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/Eur...vigator_Vacuum
jen2651 01:43 PM 04-11-2011
I don't know how much carpet you have...I have rather limited (bedrooms, daycare room, area rugs) and I have just a boring old Bissel (with bags). I really like it. And I'm anal...I vacuum about 2 times a day. I find that my rooms stay picked up better and as twisted as it is, I love those little lines! Mine is blue and about $75. My last one like this lasted for 8 years until my husband used it to vacuum up sheetrock dust...nothing can survive that!
AfterSchoolMom 01:46 PM 04-11-2011
I can tell you what NOT to buy - any of the Eureka bagless ones. I got one in December, used it three times, and it broke. I called the company and they told me to snake it out with a bent coathanger. I had to do that every single time I used it, and even then it didn't pick up squat.

Now I'm borrowing a friend's Kirby and I love it, but Nannyde is right, that thing is darn heavy. I'd really like a Dyson. Everyone that I know that has those likes them.
Lucy 01:50 PM 04-11-2011
Here are some reviews with pros and cons: http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/Eur...vigator_Vacuum
Thanks Michael. That's actually the original Navigator. I'm looking at their new "Lift Away" model. Reviews look pretty good. There are a few cons, but pros outweigh them it looks like. Haven't seen any that say it's a piece of junk.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...30952.ref.BV1?
Lucy 01:54 PM 04-11-2011
Jen, I've heard Bissells are pretty good. My whole house is wall to wall carpet. Except the kitchen and bathroom, of course! And wow, I'd be a little miffed at the hubby for using it like that!!

ASM, I'll take note about the Eurekas. Thanks! And I only WISH I could get a Dyson!
SilverSabre25 02:05 PM 04-11-2011
I'll give you another hint on what not to buy...ANY bagless!!

I hate our bagless. I let DH talk me into it (he claimed that HE would clean it out as often as it needed it...HA! He's never emptied it, not once...) and I really wish I hadn't.

Trust me. Get one with bags.
jen2651 05:51 PM 04-11-2011
ooh, and now they have bags with febreeze...they are only .50 more per pack of 3 and LOVE them! plus, there are always coupons for them on the febreeze website!

My husband had a bagless too...that thing sucked. literally - or maybe it didn't...whatever, it didn't work at all. AND, it seemed to absorb odors, odors I didn't even know I had?!

As for the sheetrock dust? I totally thought I was going to buy a Dyson and wasn't upset at all...had been jonesing for a new one. But then, I went back to old faithful!
daycare 07:12 PM 04-11-2011
Eureka boss. Heavy but great for the price. Love it lots. It was consumer reports #1 vac last year
littlemissmuffet 07:34 PM 04-11-2011
Hoover Bagless Windtunnel. I vacuum twice a day. I LOVE this vacuum. We paid about $200.
Lucy 07:51 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Hoover Bagless Windtunnel. I vacuum twice a day. I LOVE this vacuum. We paid about $200.
That sounds like a contender. I'll have to check into that one.
MyAngels 08:09 PM 04-11-2011
I have a Dyson "Animal" and I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either. I would think for the $500 that I spent on it I would love it, and it sucks up an awful lot of stuff, but it misses or kicks out anything that's very big (like chunks of dried playdoh for instance).

I would check out Consumer Reports for their recommendations, since they do pretty extensive tests of vacuums.
Miss Lindsey 07:42 AM 04-12-2011
I love love love my Simplicity Freedom vac. I know they are made here in Missouri, and are harder to find in retail stores. But if you go to the website you can probably find a local retailer. They are around $200 for the lower end of the line, but even the lower end is ten times better than a dyson. Best part is they only weight 8 lbs, and are self propelled! So you are putting almost no effort into pushing it, and it picks up EVERYTHING! I have actually lost adult socks to the thing when I dont see them!

I highly recommend them over ANYTHING out there! I had a dyson (hated it), I have had a kirby (heavier than I could handle for a bi-level home), and my simplicity freedom vac is one of my most prized posessions!
Meeko 10:53 AM 04-12-2011
I like my Dyson, but it's heavy.
TSDaycare 11:01 AM 04-12-2011
Have had the shark navigator for a year and a half now and I love it! It's not too heavy, the only con is the wideness of it's path is not as large as most. But you just have to make a few extra swipes. It cleans really well and the beater bar is very good.....great product for the price!
MamaBear 11:30 AM 04-12-2011
I just got the BEST vaccuum a few weeks ago from Target. Its honestly the best one I've had and I've had many! Its a Bissell Cleanview Helix Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner and it runs about $80. Its not too heavy and has a hose and attachments for stairs and whatnot. It sucks really good too. I swear my carpet looked brighter after I used it and seeing all the crud it picked up was amazing! Some people dont like bagless, but I dont get why. You dont have to worry about buying stupid bags and easy to clean.

I must sound like a commercial (haha) but honestly this vaccuum is the bomb-diggity! lol
Symphony 01:31 PM 04-12-2011
I have a shark navigator and I LOVE it! I am kind of a vacuum freak, and I use it at least twice a day. My only complaint is that it isn't the easiest to vacuum stairs. However, it is very light so it's easy to go up and down stairs, and I have almost 20 stairs to do in my house, so I could just be annoyed with stairs in general!

I had a Kirby in the past and I hated it. It was so heavy and it took so much work to switch between belt path and hoses, I felt like I had to do each room twice in order to get the main areas and the edges. And in the three years I used it, I had to have it serviced twice and buy multiple replacement parts. Totally not worth it!
Lucy 06:49 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
Have had the shark navigator for a year and a half now and I love it! It's not too heavy, the only con is the wideness of it's path is not as large as most. But you just have to make a few extra swipes. It cleans really well and the beater bar is very good.....great product for the price!
Is it the original Navigator, or the newer Navigator Lift Away?

Navigator: http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/Eur...vigator_Vacuum

Lift Away: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...30952.ref.BV1?

Either way, glad to hear a positive review on it!
Lucy 06:50 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I just got the BEST vaccuum a few weeks ago from Target. Its honestly the best one I've had and I've had many! Its a Bissell Cleanview Helix Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner and it runs about $80. Its not too heavy and has a hose and attachments for stairs and whatnot. It sucks really good too. I swear my carpet looked brighter after I used it and seeing all the crud it picked up was amazing! Some people dont like bagless, but I dont get why. You dont have to worry about buying stupid bags and easy to clean.

I must sound like a commercial (haha) but honestly this vaccuum is the bomb-diggity! lol
Wow, that sounds like a good deal !!!
Lucy 06:52 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I have a shark navigator and I LOVE it! I am kind of a vacuum freak, and I use it at least twice a day. My only complaint is that it isn't the easiest to vacuum stairs. However, it is very light so it's easy to go up and down stairs, and I have almost 20 stairs to do in my house, so I could just be annoyed with stairs in general!

I had a Kirby in the past and I hated it. It was so heavy and it took so much work to switch between belt path and hoses, I felt like I had to do each room twice in order to get the main areas and the edges. And in the three years I used it, I had to have it serviced twice and buy multiple replacement parts. Totally not worth it!
Thank you for your review. Same question to you as to TSDaycare. Original Navigator, or newer Navigator Lift-Away?
Childminder 07:07 AM 04-13-2011
I LOVE my Oreck. Had it for 12 years and it still "sucks" great. Bought my dd a hoover windtunnel and it lasted for 9 months. Place I worked at had a shark and it worked good for a few months and then seemed to loose umph. The problem with any bagless I've used (my parents and dd) is that it seems to get clogged easy and you have to use another vacuum to clean it often.

If you buy an inexpensive vacuum it will probably last for a couple of years and you'll have to get another. Pay a little more and you can get quality that lasts for quite a few years.
Lucy 07:13 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I LOVE my Oreck. Had it for 12 years and it still "sucks" great. Bought my dd a hoover windtunnel and it lasted for 9 months. Place I worked at had a shark and it worked good for a few months and then seemed to loose umph. The problem with any bagless I've used (my parents and dd) is that it seems to get clogged easy and you have to use another vacuum to clean it often.

If you buy an inexpensive vacuum it will probably last for a couple of years and you'll have to get another. Pay a little more and you can get quality that lasts for quite a few years.
Very good point. I might just have to bite the bullet and spend a little more. Hate to do it! I'm not one to spend money on myself, which drives my husband crazy! I think he wants me to spend on myself to relieve his guilt for spending on HIMself!!
Childminder 07:37 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by :
Very good point. I might just have to bite the bullet and spend a little more. Hate to do it! I'm not one to spend money on myself, which drives my husband crazy! I think he wants me to spend on myself to relieve his guilt for spending on HIMself!!
You are NOT spending money on yourself! It is as much his and the rest of your families. Guys think nothing of spending hundreds on a lawn mower or the like that is used once a week for six months or so. You will be using this vacuum daily and it also can be written off on your daycare taxes.

I cook a LOT. I love to cook. I want this commercial stove that cost $6000. It would probably last the rest of my life and cooked on for business purposes as well as family. Dh wants a car that costs $60,000, won't last the rest of his life, needs constant upkeep and insurance, can't be written off for business. Both can be financed for 6 years which do you think is more cost effective and will be used more?
laundrymom 09:19 AM 04-13-2011
I swear by SIMPLICITY!!!!! Made in USA. Sturdy, dependable. I'm on my second. The first I bought about 9 yrs ago. I am overly clean. I admit it. I have a problem. I sweep 3 times a day. Bedrooms, steps, kitchen, bath I do once. I swifter every day and steam mop each Friday after the dog has a bath. Lol. Simplicity rocks. I broke the first one. The little prongs on the bottom you use to clip the bottom plate on I broke where they connect. The sweeper still works. I use it in the basement. I have to be really careful not to bang it so I bought a new one. I don't have the cheapest model,.. I think I paid 529? For it? But I was going through the routine brand every six months until I went with simplicity. I love them!!!!
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
I love love love my Simplicity Freedom vac. I know they are made here in Missouri, and are harder to find in retail stores. But if you go to the website you can probably find a local retailer. They are around $200 for the lower end of the line, but even the lower end is ten times better than a dyson. Best part is they only weight 8 lbs, and are self propelled! So you are putting almost no effort into pushing it, and it picks up EVERYTHING! I have actually lost adult socks to the thing when I dont see them!

I highly recommend them over ANYTHING out there! I had a dyson (hated it), I have had a kirby (heavier than I could handle for a bi-level home), and my simplicity freedom vac is one of my most prized posessions!

Tags:2011, vaccum, vaccum cleaners, vacuum, vacuum cleaner
Reply Up