Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dog Poop!
PitterPatter 11:10 AM 05-11-2011
I have this same problem EVERY year and since it's nice out it's starting up again. People walking their dogs and letting them poop in the grass along my fence. I live right beside a bike trail and the city takes care of the grass being it's their property not mine BUT they only come along and mow every 2 weeks or so. The problem is the dogs being allowed to poop there and I have to clean it up myself or we have to smell it. I don't even own a dog so it really chaps my rear to have to clean up poop! I know there's not much I can do about it when I don't see it but I have watched people stand there watching their dog poop and walk away. I tell them "hey please pick that up we have to smell it". I get a few dif responses from them ignoring me, them feeling bad and saying they don't have anything, and a rude one have even said "FU who are u the poop police?" Its obvious I run a daycare from the large amount of play things AND my sign is right there too!

Last yr I even called the police because a man was allowing a pittbull to run loose and pooped there. The dog was hyper and bouncing towards the fence (chain link) barking at the kids then running away, coming back etc. Playing I guess but still. What if? u know? So I called and they said by the time they get here he will be gone if I see him again remind him of the leash law. yeah ok thanks buddy!

I thought about posting a sign saying No pooping permitted jokingly hoping it gets the point across but me standing here telling people they don't even care. I even have a few repeat offenders coming daily. I just stand there hoping the dogs don't have to poop today is all I can do.

Any ideas on this?
Cat Herder 11:20 AM 05-11-2011
Several companies make those cute yard signs that have a pic of a dog hunched over relieving himself.

Around that pic is a huge circle with a line across the center.

They usually say "No Dumping" or the like.

You could also use critter rid. Just sprinkle it at the fence line. It is black pepper, cayenne, etc and works well. I use it in my flower beds.
Attached: no dumping.jpg (5.1 KB) 
dEHmom 11:22 AM 05-11-2011
do they have those handy rolls of dog poo bags at the walmarts there? or pet stores?
i know it sucks you might have to buy them.
OR
stash a lot of plastic bags right near where it happens. post a sign.

then if you get the response sorry i don't have anything to clean it, then say "right there". even if you place a garbage can nearby or something.

i would also resort to standing outside with phone in hand, watching for them if you know roughly what time it happens.

some people are jerks. we have a big tree on the boulevard and its got 6 trunks and hollow area in middle. people stop, put their tim's cups in, and keep walking, or whatever garbage they have. they look at the house to see if someone saw AFTER they've done it. like really?!!?

we actually installed security cams on the outside of the house. a lot of problems have stopped.
Sugar Magnolia 11:24 AM 05-11-2011
Poop happens! (Sorry couldn't resist) I would do a funny sign that says "I have to change diapers all day, so I would appreciate if i didn't have to clean up dog poop also." Maybe the city/county could provide a sanitary station. Our trails and parks here have 'em. Or make your own, a bucket filled with plastic grocery bags and a rock to ensure they don't blow away. The county should at LEAST provide a trash can. I am sorry you have to smell that.
daycarelady68 11:33 AM 05-11-2011
Wow it's amazing how rude ppl can be. Is there something the owners of the bike trail can do. If it were me I'd get in contact w/them and let them know what's happening. If not I'd try a sign like the one suggested. If that doesn't work I'd put a trash can & bags and a sign saying clean up. You are on camera now, repeat offenders will be fined. Good luck!!
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 05-11-2011
Wow that is awful! I am lucky enough that our city strictly enforces the law that say you must clean up your dog's poo. I have several neighbors who walk their dogs around my block and ALL scoop their poop.

I say get a sign like Catherder posted. If you actually see someone with the dog while it is happening, I would totally say something to them!
PitterPatter 11:49 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
do they have those handy rolls of dog poo bags at the walmarts there? or pet stores?
i know it sucks you might have to buy them.
OR
stash a lot of plastic bags right near where it happens. post a sign.

then if you get the response sorry i don't have anything to clean it, then say "right there". even if you place a garbage can nearby or something.

i would also resort to standing outside with phone in hand, watching for them if you know roughly what time it happens.

some people are jerks. we have a big tree on the boulevard and its got 6 trunks and hollow area in middle. people stop, put their tim's cups in, and keep walking, or whatever garbage they have. they look at the house to see if someone saw AFTER they've done it. like really?!!?

we actually installed security cams on the outside of the house. a lot of problems have stopped.
We have that problem too and I have to pick up chip bags, candy bar wrappers, even beer bottles and cans, u name it. Sad part is that there IS a garbage can just 50 ft down from my house! It's 1 of those steel mesh kind. It usually has a few things in it but along my fence looks worse if I don't pick it up a few times a week. Right now there is a McDonalds bag laying there that made 1 of the daycare kids want McDonalds for lunch lol. I can't reach it so it will have to sit out there until evening.

I thought about tying a bag of grocery bags on the tree for those who say they have nothing. What I dont get is there is a whole other side of the trail tht they could make them move to when they start to squat. I might still smell it but not nearly as bad. I sat there today literally gagging it was so strong. Last week 1 of my DKBs kept blaming the others for pooping their diaper, it was dog poop but I couldn't find it. It ticks me off I have to go on a dog poop search to pick it up and rid the smell.

I will call the city and ask them what they can do. Being it's their property they should have other complaints as I am not the only home around this trail here. I am the only 1 with children playing in the yard all day tho.

Never heard of critter rid. Does it stay after rain or would I have to reapply? My yard spans over 100 ft tho so that may cost some. I will be looking into the dog signs instead of making my own. Thank u all for the great ideas!!
Symphony 11:52 AM 05-11-2011
How frustrating! I would contact your city about installing baggie stations/trash cans along the trail that they maintain. I think I would also get real annoying to the police department about it everytime it happens.
missnikki 12:21 PM 05-11-2011
How about a sign that says:

Responsible dog owners welcome.

or

Items left on grass will be returned to your doorstep. This goes for your dog, too.

or

Smile! You and your dog are on PooPooRazzi-cam!
PitterPatter 12:28 PM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
How about a sign that says:

Responsible dog owners welcome.

or

Items left on grass will be returned to your doorstep. This goes for your dog, too.

or

Smile! You and your dog are on PooPooRazzi-cam!

LOVE IT!! I have my cell outside with us so I could take a pic see what they say. Hope they don't jump the fence and beat me up!
Cat Herder 12:38 PM 05-11-2011
The critter rid lasts about a month for me and my flower beds average 180ft each. They are my hobby and I have $$$$ and time invested that I want to protect.

I use one jug a month on average during spring and summer (unless we have severe flooding). I live in a national forest within a watershed region and I am about the only one in the neighborhood without an animal issue with my lawn.

This is non-toxic and is really effective with domestic animals.

http://www.havahart.com/store/animal-repellents/3141 Check out the motion detector sprinkler head on this site, too. THAT should do the trick as well.

Oh, and I buy mine at home depot.
laundrymom 01:36 PM 05-11-2011
I'd snap pics of the offender print them, and put them on stakes in the poop zone with a red circle and line. Write" busted leaving dookie" in marker on it and post as many as you can.
Michael 03:54 PM 05-11-2011
An earlier thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12547
Kaddidle Care 04:01 PM 05-11-2011
Britain came up with this sign a year or so ago. I love it: You can order posters here: http://www.keepbritaintidy.org/Order...D=85&matID=117 Course... it's not Britain here but... if you're clever you can come up with something similar.

It's a shame so many people are pigs. Do contact your town council members for help on this. Take photos of the mess and it won't hurt to catch a few of the offenders on film as well. Chances are your town/county has laws against leaving it behind and it's just plain rude to let your dog go and leave it with a home next door like that. You'll never be able to open your windows in the summer. Bleh!

MamaBear 08:00 PM 05-11-2011
Wait till you see someone letting their dog poop on your lawn and then fling some baby poops at them from your daily diapers from the day! hahaha ... see how they like it! lol
dEHmom 07:26 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
We have that problem too and I have to pick up chip bags, candy bar wrappers, even beer bottles and cans, u name it. Sad part is that there IS a garbage can just 50 ft down from my house! It's 1 of those steel mesh kind. It usually has a few things in it but along my fence looks worse if I don't pick it up a few times a week. Right now there is a McDonalds bag laying there that made 1 of the daycare kids want McDonalds for lunch lol. I can't reach it so it will have to sit out there until evening.

I thought about tying a bag of grocery bags on the tree for those who say they have nothing. What I dont get is there is a whole other side of the trail tht they could make them move to when they start to squat. I might still smell it but not nearly as bad. I sat there today literally gagging it was so strong. Last week 1 of my DKBs kept blaming the others for pooping their diaper, it was dog poop but I couldn't find it. It ticks me off I have to go on a dog poop search to pick it up and rid the smell.

I will call the city and ask them what they can do. Being it's their property they should have other complaints as I am not the only home around this trail here. I am the only 1 with children playing in the yard all day tho.

Never heard of critter rid. Does it stay after rain or would I have to reapply? My yard spans over 100 ft tho so that may cost some. I will be looking into the dog signs instead of making my own. Thank u all for the great ideas!!
i think part of the problem where we live, there isn't too much litter around except that which blows out of the recycle bins and such. but anything over 2 regular garbage bags you have to pay to dispose. they won't pick it up, they will sticker it and say you have to get a sticker. it's a $2 sticker. seriously, i will not pay 2 dollars for a sticker that is going in the garbage. we have a big truck trailer (trailer made out of the truck box) and anything over, or too large for pickup goes in the trailer. when it gets full we do a dump run, or if it's almost cleanup (2 times a year they do free garbage cleanup for anything, including couches etc) then we dump it on the curb.

because most people don't want to be over limit on garbage they find elsewhere for their garbage. sometimes people are jerks and take all their extras and plop it on someone elses curb or beside a BFI bin behind a business.
morgan24 08:12 AM 05-12-2011
When my trash can gets full and won't close I spay the bags with ammonia. That keeps the dogs from getting into it. I wonder if you could spray the grass that they are using with it. I have never tried.
PitterPatter 08:37 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i think part of the problem where we live, there isn't too much litter around except that which blows out of the recycle bins and such. but anything over 2 regular garbage bags you have to pay to dispose. they won't pick it up, they will sticker it and say you have to get a sticker. it's a $2 sticker. seriously, i will not pay 2 dollars for a sticker that is going in the garbage. we have a big truck trailer (trailer made out of the truck box) and anything over, or too large for pickup goes in the trailer. when it gets full we do a dump run, or if it's almost cleanup (2 times a year they do free garbage cleanup for anything, including couches etc) then we dump it on the curb.

because most people don't want to be over limit on garbage they find elsewhere for their garbage. sometimes people are jerks and take all their extras and plop it on someone elses curb or beside a BFI bin behind a business.
I have heard of people having a limit on garbage but here we can put as many cans out as we need. That would be awful if I could only have 2 cans. Most of the time is it only 2 but there have been times I have more. Christmas and spring cleaning is always more. I have a garbage can right by the back fence that people drop bottles in so it's not all people littering but there is a great deal. I think mostly the groups of kids teens and preteens etc.
PitterPatter 08:40 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
When my trash can gets full and won't close I spay the bags with ammonia. That keeps the dogs from getting into it. I wonder if you could spray the grass that they are using with it. I have never tried.
Didn't think of that I may have to try it! I ordered a no dog poo sign with that red circle and line through it! I am posting it ASAP in the grass and if it helps I may put them down the whole property line. We are no where near the end of the yard as it is sectioned off for the pool but come summer when we use the pool u can smell it there too at times so I will just get a jump on it. Thanks for the ideas everyone!!
Tags:dog poop, poop
Reply Up