Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refusal to Eat
Unregistered 11:39 AM 06-16-2011
I have a 4yr old DCB that refuses to eat anything that i serve. I am getting frustrated with him and i am tired of throwing out my food because he doesnt like it. He has been here for over a month now, i thought he would get over this, but he is getting worse. I am tempted to bag all of the food that he has been offered and give it to his mom at the end of the day and say this is why he is losing weight or just plain old hungry.

What would you do?
daycare 11:43 AM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 4yr old DCB that refuses to eat anything that i serve. I am getting frustrated with him and i am tired of throwing out my food because he doesnt like it. He has been here for over a month now, i thought he would get over this, but he is getting worse. I am tempted to bag all of the food that he has been offered and give it to his mom at the end of the day and say this is why he is losing weight or just plain old hungry.

What would you do?
I think that this could be serious if the child is losing weight.
I would talk to the parents about it ASAP
don't make meal time a struggle. You can lead a horse to water, you cant make them drink. Ignore the fact taht hes not eating and give him the time to decide if he wants to eat. Most of the time a child will eventually eat when they are hungry.

I had a child that was not eating at all and after long talks with the parents about it, they finally took him to the doctor. The child had a serious medical condition.

Talk to the parents about this today, don't delay this anymore..
Unregistered 11:56 AM 06-16-2011
I have talked to his mom and she said he is very picky! I have made the things she tells me he like's, still wont eat. Of course he will eat junk food, who doesn't? but that is not what I serve. And now my own son is like why do I have to eat if he doesn't? GRRR.
Country Kids 12:04 PM 06-16-2011
I had one like that for 3 years. Survived on the snacks I served but wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch. Because of that I quit serving breakfast and saved so much time in the morning and my own children were happier because they didn't have to sit at the table first thing in the morning with this child just sitting there.

My big wish would have been not to have to prepare food for them but thats not allowed and they would have still not cared. Very frustrating. How about making the parents bring his food (as long as its healthy) and what he doesn't eat send back everyday with him.
Mom_of_two 12:10 PM 06-16-2011
I agree with continuing to follow up with mom, etc, in case of medical/psych issue. But she said he is just picky...

I do not make things just because the kids like them. I provide balanced healthy meals and DO try to include things they like, but if someone does not want to eat something it is their choice...(even with my own kids, they get what I make etc.)

I would not put full servings on his plate. My food program person says we have to offer it and have the serving size AVAILABLE but do not have to offer the entire portion at once. I would put tiny bits on the plate (I also do this with babies as they learn to eat solids) and continue to give more as he eats it. If he doesn't, not much to toss.

I would not address the behavior at all and see what happens. Give plate, seconds as (if) needed, clear when done. Even if untouched. The end., LOL.
daycare 12:15 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have talked to his mom and she said he is very picky! I have made the things she tells me he like's, still wont eat. Of course he will eat junk food, who doesn't? but that is not what I serve. And now my own son is like why do I have to eat if he doesn't? GRRR.
does the child eat any portion of his meals?
I used to have a kid that would go straight for the crackders (least healthy portions of the meal) and leave everything else. So I started serving veggies first, protein, fruit and then crackers last. Most of my kids will clear their plate and ask for seconds..
MG&Lsmom 12:29 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
does the child eat any portion of his meals?
I used to have a kid that would go straight for the crackders (least healthy portions of the meal) and leave everything else. So I started serving veggies first, protein, fruit and then crackers last. Most of my kids will clear their plate and ask for seconds..
My picky eater is 2 and he wouldn't eat the same chicken nuggets his mother used to send in. I bought the nasty things just to see if he would eat for me. I was convinced it was a power struggle about not being at home with mommy. Turns out he has every meal served on the same plate at home, cut exactly the same way each time. He has unnatural attachment to routines and surroundings that to me are a major red flag indicating some developmental delays.

I also bagged up his meals and sent them home, just to prove to mom that he was served the same food she said he ate at home and refused it here.

If he's 4, can he verbalize what he likes and dislikes? Can he tell you he likes apples, but only if they are peeled and cut up?
MommyMuffin 12:38 PM 06-16-2011
I have a 3 yo dcb who eats 1 thing and then just sits there. I have been trying for 7 months to get him to eat more. At snack time he will eat a ton though! Then when his mom comes and he says, "I'm hungry"

Today I tried something different and it worked. I said "DCB, pick up your fork." "Stab your chicken." "Where does it go?" "In your mouth." And he did it. After going through this about 10 times, all I had to say was "Eat your chicken." He ate everything on his plate. This dcb is very strange though and so this may not work for you but it might be worth a try.
countrymom 01:35 PM 06-16-2011
I have a kid like this, and he's going to be 6 next month. Doesn't matter what i make he hates everything, doesn't eat fruit or veggies but will eat junk. Like at snack time I serve cheese and crackers and he will eat all his plus he will eat the other kids snacks too, doesn't matter what I do he will steal food from the other kids.

so my dd babysits him and his sister. So I asked her what they eat, well she said that they have a lock on their pantry but their fridge is stocked with frozen processed food. I'm talking nuggets, lunchables anything frozen thats what they eat. No fruit or veggies. But I got so sick and tired of him not eating nothing but snacks (we don't get supplemented for food) that now he has no choice he has to eat. He has such bad eating habits too. He stares at the wall, he doesn't know how to hold utensils, he eats his food very differently. I know that there is something wrong with him, I think its aspergers as I've had him since he was 14 months old. Little by little the school is starting to do something about it. I also find that when he eats a well balanced meal here (he comes every other day because he's in school) his attitude changes, eating healthy makes a difference.
Unregistered 03:51 PM 06-16-2011
I have tried everything, every way, every time, you name it, i have done it. She has brought him a box of eggos. I make them, he hates them. ARRRGGG. Argue, fight, cry.

I guess he can starve then.
Michael 03:52 PM 06-16-2011
Some more related "won't eat" posts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=won%27t+eat
qcumber 08:00 AM 09-30-2011
I just started with a new 4yr old and she plays great with the other children and shows no behaviour concerns until any adult interaction takes place. A simple "time to pick up toys" is a 30 min battle of "i don't want to's", "I don't have to's". We have engorged the bad behaviour and rewarded the good behaviour,Sent to time out's(since that what mom told me to do) She has not had a drop to drink or eat since she has been in my care for just over 2 weeks. She claims she dosent like anything,and only wants to eat the "treats" that are served!Mom and dad do not seem to be concerned about the child's refusal to listen to any adult requests. I believe they allow this behaviour at home how do i get it under control here before the rest of the children pick up on it and than i have my hands full?
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:10 PM 10-02-2011
HMM sounds like a DCB that left my DC over a month ago! Everything that you have said and the DCM has said is to a T!

Just curious what is the first letter of his name? does it start with an A?
Tags:4 year old, won't eat
Reply Up